There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

1st round mock, theninermaniac

1. Colts - QB Andrew Luck
2. Redskins - QB Robert Griffen III
3. Vikings - LT Matt Kalil
4. Browns - RB Trent Richardson

The Vikings make the first real decision of the draft. Should they trade down to gather more picks in 2nd and 3rd? They have many holes to fill. Ultimately they wont be able to pass on Kalil; a cornerstone LT is hard to find. The Browns, on the other hand, should not be considering trading out. They lack offensive playmakers, and two players will be staring them in the face: Blackmon and Richardson. The #4 pick will be Richardson in the end, once the Browns realize all they need to do is hand the ball to Richardson, as opposed to Colt McCoy having to throw it. If Browns go with Blackmon, that is a real commitment to McCoy, and I dont expect that.

5. Bucs - WR Justin Blackmon
6. Rams - CB Morris Claiborne
7. Jags - DE Melvin Ingram
8. Dolphins - QB Ryan Tannenhill
9. Panthers - NT Dontarie Poe

Any team wanting to jump the Rams for Blackmon would be working on a deal with the Bucs for #5. If the Bucs stay at 5, they should look at the production of Blackmon and select him right away. The Rams plan B once Blackmon goes is to upgrade the secondary with Claiborne, they can address WR in the 2nd. Same goes for Jags, they address WR in the 2nd, so they add Ingram. Dolphins take Tannenhill at 8, and could have got him at 18. Panthers make a gamble on Poe at 9, banking that Poe can lead a transition to a 3-4 as space eating NT.

10. Bills - WR Michael Floyd
11. Chiefs - OG David DeCastro
12. Seahawks - LB Luke Kuechly
13. Cardinals - OT Reily Reiff
14. Cowboys - DB Mark Barron

The Bills select Floyd at 10, and get a physical WR that should contribute right away. The next 3 picks are pretty difficult to project. We have DeCastro, Reiff, Kuechly, and the CBs like Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, etc, that could start going. Not to mention all the D-linemen like Coples and Cox that could get drafted here. Cowboys add safety depth with Barron.

15. Eagles - DT Fletcher Cox
16. Jets - CB Dre Kirkpatrick
17. Bengals - CB - Stephon Gilmore
18. Chargers - DE Michael Brockers
19. Bears - DE Quinton Coples
20. Titans - CB Janoris Jenkins
21. Bengals - OT Cordy Glenn

I think in this range there will be a run on CBs and DEs. Each team should select the player that fills a void. I can almost guarantee a trade will happen somewhere in this range. The Pats or, ahem, the 49ers could move up, and the Jets and Chargers could move down. There are many coveted WRs and CBs/DEs in this draft, along with one Coby Fleener.

22. Browns - WR Kendall Wright
23. Lions - OT Jonathan Martin
24. Steelers - LB Donta Hightower
25. Broncos - TE Coby Fleener
26. Texans - WR Stephen Hill
27. Patriots - OLB Nick Perry
28. Packers - RB David Miller
29. Ravens - C Peter Konz
30. 49ers - DT Devon Still
31. Patriots - DB Harrison Smith
32. Giants - LB Whitney Mercilus

I believe that Fleener and Hill will be gone by the time the 9ers 30th pick arrives. We could go with a WR like Randle, or even an OG that would compete with Kilgore, but I think we take Devon Still. Ideally, I would like the Niners to either trade up or down, because I dont love any of the options at 30. But faced with selecting at 30, I play it safe with Devon Still, and improve depth along the D-line. If there were a chance to add a 2013 1st rounder and 2012 2nd rounder for the pick (like we did with Panthers a couple years ago) I would take it.
I'll predict Kendall Wright will fall. If he's available to #30, who would you take? Still or Wright?
Good post.

I think DeCastro to the Chiefs would be very smart for them.

Agree Fleener, Wright will be gone.

I'd prefer to trade back into the top 10 of the 2nd round.

Sill would be a good pick.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
1. Colts - QB Andrew Luck
2. Redskins - QB Robert Griffen III
3. Vikings - LT Matt Kalil
4. Browns - RB Trent Richardson

The Vikings make the first real decision of the draft. Should they trade down to gather more picks in 2nd and 3rd? They have many holes to fill. Ultimately they wont be able to pass on Kalil; a cornerstone LT is hard to find. The Browns, on the other hand, should not be considering trading out. They lack offensive playmakers, and two players will be staring them in the face: Blackmon and Richardson. The #4 pick will be Richardson in the end, once the Browns realize all they need to do is hand the ball to Richardson, as opposed to Colt McCoy having to throw it. If Browns go with Blackmon, that is a real commitment to McCoy, and I dont expect that.

6. Rams - CB Morris Claiborne
7. Jags - DE Melvin Ingram
8. Dolphins - QB Ryan Tannenhill

Any team wanting to jump the Rams for Blackmon would be working on a deal with the Bucs for #5. If the Bucs stay at 5, they should look at the production of Blackmon and select him right away. The Rams plan B once Blackmon goes is to upgrade the secondary with Claiborne, they can address WR in the 2nd. Same goes for Jags, they address WR in the 2nd, so they add Ingram. Dolphins take Tannenhill at 8, and could have got him at 18. Panthers make a gamble on Poe at 9, banking that Poe can lead a transition to a 3-4 as space eating NT.

10. Bills - WR Michael Floyd
11. Chiefs - OG David DeCastro
12. Seahawks - LB Luke Kuechly
13. Cardinals - OT Reily Reiff
14. Cowboys - DB Mark Barron

The Bills select Floyd at 10, and get a physical WR that should contribute right away. The next 3 picks are pretty difficult to project. We have DeCastro, Reiff, Kuechly, and the CBs like Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, etc, that could start going. Not to mention all the D-linemen like Coples and Cox that could get drafted here. Cowboys add safety depth with Barron.

15. Eagles - DT Fletcher Cox
17. Bengals - CB - Stephon Gilmore
18. Chargers - DE Michael Brockers
19. Bears - DE Quinton Coples
20. Titans - CB Janoris Jenkins
21. Bengals - OT Cordy Glenn

I think in this range there will be a run on CBs and DEs. Each team should select the player that fills a void. I can almost guarantee a trade will happen somewhere in this range. The Pats or, ahem, the 49ers could move up, and the Jets and Chargers could move down. There are many coveted WRs and CBs/DEs in this draft, along with one Coby Fleener.

22. Browns - WR Kendall Wright
23. Lions - OT Jonathan Martin
24. Steelers - LB Donta Hightower
26. Texans - WR Stephen Hill
27. Patriots - OLB Nick Perry
28. Packers - RB David Miller
29. Ravens - C Peter Konz
30. 49ers - DT Devon Still
31. Patriots - DB Harrison Smith

I believe that Fleener and Hill will be gone by the time the 9ers 30th pick arrives. We could go with a WR like Randle, or even an OG that would compete with Kilgore, but I think we take Devon Still. Ideally, I would like the Niners to either trade up or down, because I dont love any of the options at 30. But faced with selecting at 30, I play it safe with Devon Still, and improve depth along the D-line. If there were a chance to add a 2013 1st rounder and 2012 2nd rounder for the pick (like we did with Panthers a couple years ago) I would take it.

dont see still as a fit---in smith and mcdonald the niners have two 3-4 ends who have pass rush ability that still lacks....i would think they want a def end with some pass rush skills to backup smith and mcdonald...mayock on nfl channel was extoling chandler jones as a player who will be drafted higher than most expect, noting he has the frame to add 15-20 lbs...
Originally posted by hofer36:
dont see still as a fit---in smith and mcdonald the niners have two 3-4 ends who have pass rush ability that still lacks....i would think they want a def end with some pass rush skills to backup smith and mcdonald...mayock on nfl channel was extoling chandler jones as a player who will be drafted higher than most expect, noting he has the frame to add 15-20 lbs...

In Smith and McDonald the Niners have two 3-4 ends that still lack some pass rush ability? Um...are you aware that in most 3-4 schemes, the ends aren't even pass rushers? Or that Justin Smith is one of the best pass rushing 3-4 DE's ever? Ray Mac gets some pretty consistent pressure too. This is not a 4-3 scheme where you're going to have a 15 sack guy at end.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'll predict Kendall Wright will fall. If he's available to #30, who would you take? Still or Wright?

If I were Baalke in this situation I would find a team that wants to trade for Wright and passed on a WR with their first selection. The demand for Wright will be high, and we could get a 2012 2nd and a 2013 1st rounder from some team like the Jags, Jets, Broncos etc.

I think a big WR is needed for the Niners. I like Jeffery and Randle in the second more than I like Wright in the first. Im not saying Wright wont be good, I just dont think he fits the Niners.
If the Niners go for a defensive lineman, Still should not be the pick. I liked him early on in the draft process, but the closer we are to the draft, Still's value keeps on falling. I would rather see Baalke take Kendall Reyes from UConn at that spot.

If they decide against a defensive lineman and with Wright, Hill and Fleener all gone at that point, I think the Niners will trade back into the top part of the 2nd round and go for an OG.
If I were Baalke in this situation I would find a team that wants to trade for Wright and passed on a WR with their first selection. The demand for Wright will be high, and we could get a 2012 2nd and a 2013 1st rounder from some team like the Jags, Jets, Broncos etc.

I think a big WR is needed for the Niners. I like Jeffery and Randle in the second more than I like Wright in the first. Im not saying Wright wont be good, I just dont think he fits the Niners.

disagree

we dont have a quick shifty guy for 3rd downs and we dont have a deep threay

wright fills both needs

wright also will be a playmaker if we get him he is the only guy who is a threat to take it to the hosue everytime he touches the ball
Would rather draft Mercilus in this scenario.
Panthers make a gamble on Poe at 9, banking that Poe can lead a transition to a 3-4 as space eating NT.
Some super whacky picks here.
The Bucs just spent 60 million on Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams is a very promising WR entering his 3rd year along with Benn who should both benefit from Jackson's addition. No way they take Blackmon.

The Panthers arent switching to a 3-4, and took a few DT's last year, none that are great, but Poe makes little sense to a 4-3 team and really isn't worth a #9 pick at all. Didnt even produce much in college. Only worth the reach to a 3-4 team in desperation for a NT.

Jets have more than a few needs above of CB, they took Kyle Wilson in the 1st round in 2010, and though hes not a world beater yet, they have Cromartie and revis, why in the world do they take a 4th high caliber CB over OLB, DL, OL, or WR? Huge holes they have.

The Broncos too have a lot more needs than to take another TE. They took two last year in the draft, and just gave Tamme good money and signed Dreesen to back him up. 4 TE's. Why not take a 5th, eh? I dont think so.

Mercilus isnt a LB, dont know why you have him listed as such. Maybe in a 3-4 he would be, and maybe he'd transition to SLB for the Giants but I dont see it with Kiwi manning that spot and with 3 awesome DE's on the roster already. Granted, Osi is in his last year, so Mercilus wouldnt shock me, but theyre another team with bigger needs than the pick you stick them with.
Originally posted by RDB4216:

In Smith and McDonald the Niners have two 3-4 ends that still lack some pass rush ability? Um...are you aware that in most 3-4 schemes, the ends aren't even pass rushers? Or that Justin Smith is one of the best pass rushing 3-4 DE's ever? Ray Mac gets some pretty consistent pressure too. This is not a 4-3 scheme where you're going to have a 15 sack guy at end.

That is not what he is saying. He is saying Still does not compare to Ray and Justin.
I do not know what Baalke's future vision entails. However, getting a good DL late in the first that can contribute is risky and has not been good. We have done better latter in the draft. So no, I don't think this will happen.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by RDB4216:

That is not what he is saying. He is saying Still does not compare to Ray and Justin.

Justin Smith is, and has been, an iron man, but how long can he keep it up.
If the team thinks it is a good time to begin the search for a replacement, Still would be a good choice.

But, the truth is we do not know what Baalke and the coaching staff think about Justin Smith's longevity or for that matter how they view Dobbs.

Guess we just have to wait a couple of weeks to gain more of an insight.
Still isn't that impressive. If that's the situation when we pick I hope we take Jerel Worthy.
Every mock I've seen has Ryan Tannenhill going at 8 to the Dolphins. Poe is the most over rated player in the draft. Anyone that's available at 30 will be there in the second. Unless some gift falls to the Niners trading down may be the way to go.