There are 199 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers Mock Draft v2.0

Okay, I'm just going with straight picks here, no trades.

Round 1

A-Coby Fleener-TE-Stanford. I've been obviously a strong front line supporter of the "Draft Fleener" movement and my opinion hasn't changed. I think he'd made a great addition to this team, especially in the area's where they need it the most. 49ers have guys like Crabtree, Manningham, Moss and VD to move the ball down the field and get to the red-zone, Fleener is the guy who can be utilized as a major red-zone threat. Akers might have to drop his expectations of another record-breaking season if Fleener ends up as a 49er.

B. Kevin Zeitler-OG-Wisconsin-I don't think Hill will be around by this point so Zeitler would fill in the one major need this team has for a starter. He had some terrific performances in college and he's got a big body, seems like a Harbaugh kind of player.

Round 2

A-Derek Wolfe-DE-Cincinnati. Would love to have Kendall Reyes, don't think he'll be around, if not Wolfe would be a great fit for this team, solid 3-4 prospect, nonstop motor, hard-working guy, good team guy, has tremendous power, bull-rushing is one of his forte's, he'd be a good guy to develop and add as depth.

B-Marvin Jones-WR-Cal. I've also been on the Marvin Jones bandwagon for a long time. Not one particular thing he does will amaze you, but he does a lot of things very well has good speed, good hands, runs great routes, uses his body well to go up and get after the football. I would say he's one of the most ready to contribute out of all the WR's in the draft and for some reason I get a little Anquan-Boldin type of feeling from this guy. Could end up as a VERY good #2 WR.

Round 3

A-Markelle Martin-FS-Oklahoma State. One of the top free safeties in an otherwise safety-poor draft. Had some injury issues but he hits with attitude and can cover a lot of range, not necessarily a ballhawk but a smart player who can be a playmaker in the secondary. 49ers REALLY need depth at safety, I love CJ Spillman on special teams, but I don't want to see him out on the field in case Goldson goes down.

B-Marvin McNutt-WR-Iowa State. Good size, good speed, if not Jones, then I'll take the other Marvin. Has a ton of potential and can make plays going deep or across the middle.

Round 4

A-Chase Minnifield-CB-Virginia. Minnifield at one point was expected to be a late 1st rounder/early 2nd rounder but he came in shorter than expected and has some injury troubles that have teams concerned, if healthy, he'd be a hell of a steal at this point, he routinely shutdown one half of the field in college and would be excellent CB depth for the 49ers at this point in the draft, potential replacement for Rogers down the road.

B-David Molk-C-Michigan. Top center in college last year. Put up the highest bench-press totals in the combine. Not huge, but very strong and quick, could stand to add some more bulk but a possible replacement for Goodwin in a few years?

Round 5

A-Neiko Thorpe-FS-Auburn. Didn't get a combine invite but was stellar during his pro-day. 6'2" size and 4.4 speed is a nice combination. Athletic specimen, however he's not Taylor Mays, previously played at CB, has decent hip movement, can make plays on the ball, good character guy by all accounts.

*The guy I'd really like to see at this spot is Janzen Jackson, who should be a 2nd-3rd rounder but he got kicked off the team at Tennessee and has a major knucklehead reputation, he'd be a tremendous addition if his head is right.

B-Shaun Prater-CB-Iowa-Necessary cornerback depth, may be gone by this point but would be a great pick, is very fast off the line, a bit on the smaller side but still good at jamming receivers and getting his hands up in the air to knock balls down.

Round 6

Miles Burris-OLB-San Diego State. The 49ers need more depth at OLB and Burris is a good 3-4 OLB prospect. Got shutdown at times in college and under-sized but still a good pass-rusher with good quickness, only question is how well he can hold up against the run.

Round 7

Chris Owusu-WR-Stanford. I can totally see this pick happening. Owusu was extremely effective at the combine with his numbers but he'll fall way down the board because of concerns with his concussion history. His familiarity with Harbaugh's offense is a huge plus and I feel like he would do very well with the 49ers, at least have a shot to stick around during training camp.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Okay, I'm just going with straight picks here, no trades.

Round 1

A-Coby Fleener-TE-Stanford. I've been obviously a strong front line supporter of the "Draft Fleener" movement and my opinion hasn't changed. I think he'd made a great addition to this team, especially in the area's where they need it the most. 49ers have guys like Crabtree, Manningham, Moss and VD to move the ball down the field and get to the red-zone, Fleener is the guy who can be utilized as a major red-zone threat. Akers might have to drop his expectations of another record-breaking season if Fleener ends up as a 49er.

B. Kevin Zeitler-OG-Wisconsin-I don't think Hill will be around by this point so Zeitler would fill in the one major need this team has for a starter. He had some terrific performances in college and he's got a big body, seems like a Harbaugh kind of player.

Round 2

A-Derek Wolfe-DE-Cincinnati. Would love to have Kendall Reyes, don't think he'll be around, if not Wolfe would be a great fit for this team, solid 3-4 prospect, nonstop motor, hard-working guy, good team guy, has tremendous power, bull-rushing is one of his forte's, he'd be a good guy to develop and add as depth.

B-Marvin Jones-WR-Cal. I've also been on the Marvin Jones bandwagon for a long time. Not one particular thing he does will amaze you, but he does a lot of things very well has good speed, good hands, runs great routes, uses his body well to go up and get after the football. I would say he's one of the most ready to contribute out of all the WR's in the draft and for some reason I get a little Anquan-Boldin type of feeling from this guy. Could end up as a VERY good #2 WR.

Round 3

A-Markelle Martin-FS-Oklahoma State. One of the top free safeties in an otherwise safety-poor draft. Had some injury issues but he hits with attitude and can cover a lot of range, not necessarily a ballhawk but a smart player who can be a playmaker in the secondary. 49ers REALLY need depth at safety, I love CJ Spillman on special teams, but I don't want to see him out on the field in case Goldson goes down.

B-Marvin McNutt-WR-Iowa State. Good size, good speed, if not Jones, then I'll take the other Marvin. Has a ton of potential and can make plays going deep or across the middle.

Round 4

A-Chase Minnifield-CB-Virginia. Minnifield at one point was expected to be a late 1st rounder/early 2nd rounder but he came in shorter than expected and has some injury troubles that have teams concerned, if healthy, he'd be a hell of a steal at this point, he routinely shutdown one half of the field in college and would be excellent CB depth for the 49ers at this point in the draft, potential replacement for Rogers down the road.

B-David Molk-C-Michigan. Top center in college last year. Put up the highest bench-press totals in the combine. Not huge, but very strong and quick, could stand to add some more bulk but a possible replacement for Goodwin in a few years?

Round 5

A-Neiko Thorpe-FS-Auburn. Didn't get a combine invite but was stellar during his pro-day. 6'2" size and 4.4 speed is a nice combination. Athletic specimen, however he's not Taylor Mays, previously played at CB, has decent hip movement, can make plays on the ball, good character guy by all accounts.

B-Shaun Prater-CB-Iowa-Necessary cornerback depth, may be gone by this point but would be a great pick, is very fast off the line, a bit on the smaller side but still good at jamming receivers and getting his hands up in the air to knock balls down.

Round 6

Miles Burris-OLB-San Diego State. The 49ers need more depth at OLB and Burris is a good 3-4 OLB prospect. Got shutdown at times in college and under-sized but still a good pass-rusher with good quickness, only question is how well he can hold up against the run.

Round 7

Chris Owusu-WR-Stanford. I can totally see this pick happening. Owusu was extremely effective at the combine with his numbers but he'll fall way down the board because of concerns with his concussion history. His familiarity with Harbaugh's offense is a huge plus and I feel like he would do very well with the 49ers, at least have a shot to stick around during training camp.
I do not know much about college football and admire people like you who do. I thank you for your love for marvin mcnutt .i actually think either your plan a or plan b picks are all very very good for us. i like the fact you have us taking a safety high and while not sexy a good young gaurd is a wise much needed pick
Very good draft.

Like all your A's and B's
And I am required again to say...

OMG FLEENER OMG GUYZ CHEK IT OUT OMG
  • sfout
  • Veteran
good lookin' mock. But you're going to get crucified for not drafting Stephen Hill at 30 lmao

Wolfe has "Justin Smith's successor" written all over him lol. The only thing I personally dont like is Minnifield, I've never liked him as prospect and all of these lackluster workouts and numbers really make me wonder what kind of player he'll be, I know he played solidly in college but going back and looking, all of his INTs came against very subpar competition.
I have a feeling Fleener is gone in the teens. I like Shaun Prater. Man i cant wait for the draft to start already. Nice mock draft!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Very good draft.

Like all your A's and B's

This. Really like the draft
no to Fleener
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
no to Fleener

Absolutely, 49ers have more than enough big-bodied playmakers who already know the offense, run excellent routes and can be important contributors in the red-zone and on 3rd down.

• sfout
  • Veteran
no to Fleener

Absolutely, 49ers have more than enough big-bodied playmakers who already know the offense, run excellent routes and can be important contributors in the red-zone and on 3rd down.

lololol, I see what you did there

You are absolutely correct, Phoenix. TE is a major position of need on this roster. Moreover, Fleener is a unique "once in a decade" player at a postion that teams really value in the first round. Also, don't forget that he is a superb blocker.

Finally, Delanie Walker is a scrub and needs to be replace immediately after his contract expires.

[ Edited by YouGotGored on Apr 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran

You are absolutely correct, Phoenix. TE is a major position of need on this roster. Moreover, Fleener is a unique "once in a decade" player at a postion that teams really value in the first round. Also, don't forget that he is a superb blocker.

Finally, Delanie Walker is a scrub and needs to be replace immediately after his contract expires.

who said anything about replacing Walker? Why not have all 3?

TE isn't a major position of need, but a top playmaker who can force defenses to react and cause matchup problems is a HUGE need and Fleener fits the bill better than anyone else that would be available at that point, especially considering his experience going out wide and knowing the offense.

Yes you're right, Delanie Walker is a scrub in an offense that prominently features 2 TE's, he's a very good blocker, but not much of a threat downfield, going 7 or 8 games without a catch isn't really stellar offensive output, especially considering he's 6 feet tall and has a history of bobbling passes in the endzone. He's going to be a free agent next year, better prepare now instead of later. If nothing else, he'd make for a very good #3 TE who comes in simply to block.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM ]
no to Fleener

Which of our receivers run excellent routes again?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Draftology:
no to Fleener

Which of our receivers run excellent routes again?

to lazy to find the pic and upload it but....insert "Can not tell if serious" pic cause he was being sarcastic in response to the "no fleener" comment.