There are 182 users in the forums

If Alfonzo Dennard slips...

• Ether
  • Veteran
Say Dennard is sitting there in the early/mid second round. Would you be ok with trading up for him? Personally as a Huskers fan, I would welcome him with open arms. He was solid as Nebraskas #1 corner after coming back from injury and was a great, great 1b/#2 to Prince during his Junior year. Let him develop behind Los, Brown and Culliver as the dime back and see if he can compete for the starting or nickel role next year. If he and Culliver are our starters down the road, we could have two physical lock down corners that no team would want to throw against, especially with Dashon, Donte, Pat and Bowman patrolling the middle.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
no, no need to trade up for cornerback, if he fell to 61, then yes take him. Theoretically we wont need anything better then a #4 CB for the next 3 years.

Brown is a good #2 CB if he keeps playing the way he did in 2011, he's under contract until 2014

Rogers is #1 CB if he keeps playing the way he did in 2011, he's under contract until 2016

Culliver is a #3 CB and a #1 in training and he under contract 2015.

Holcomb is under contract until 2015 and has the potential to unseat Tramaine Brock as the #4 CB

and Brock is only under contract for 1 more year

then there is Perrish Cox who is here on a 1 year deal if he makes the team, just like Tarell Brown he was "a 1st round talen that fell due to character concerns". Yea he actually got into trouble but he is only 25 and can still develop so if he made the team as the #5 CB he would be one hell of a bargain.

With a CB group like that there is absolutely no reason to trade up for a corner, but yea if a legit corner like Gilmore, Dennard or Boykin fell to us at a pick I'd be all for the idea of taking them. Trading up is just too much when we have zero need.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM ]
I like Dennard a lot, but like sfout says, I wouldn't trade up for him. If he's available when we pick in the 2nd, then absolutely, you take him.
Perrish Cox signed a 2 year deal... just don't see him and Brock getting cut. Not sure we need a CB early with 6 already and us likely keeping 5 plus 1 to the PS.
I don't want to trade up especially for a corner. I think we will probably draft another small school corner in the later rounds like we have done in the past.

We currently have 5 corners who have proved that they can play in the NFL. I say 5 because both Cox and Brock have played and have played decent in their limited time on the field. Unless we strike gold i don't see a rookie corner even sniffing the field honestly.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Perrish Cox signed a 2 year deal... just don't see him and Brock getting cut. Not sure we need a CB early with 6 already and us likely keeping 5 plus 1 to the PS.

Thanks for the correction only bolsters my point even more.
No, I wouldn't.

Although I'd trade up for someone else. There are way too many to name but someone unepectedly always slips.
Wouldn't trade up but he could be a nice safety to develop, I really liked him when I watched Nebraska play.
Share 49ersWebzone