There are 232 users in the forums

Supplemental Draft QB

• titan
  • Veteran
If Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson decides to go in on the supplemental draft what are the chances of us having a chance to get him? Or would you even want him? Personally I think he is awesome and is a possible star in the NFL.
No.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
he cant declare. "My coach got fired for f***ing a 25 year old assistant" isn't a viable reason. /thread

He just has to hope that his OC becomes the new HC or that they keep the same system.
  • titan
  • Veteran
A coach getting fired is a viable reason. I think he is way better than the Aggie QB that might go Top 10.
NO!
1) We have more pressing needs
2) I don't think he is better at this time than what we have already
3) Doesn't matter what you or I think we need or who has the talent-that lies with JH and TB.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
A coach getting fired is a viable reason. I think he is way better than the Aggie QB that might go Top 10.

no its not, they were debating not letting Pryor enter the supplemental and he was only suspended for 5 games. You're academic or athletic eligibility needs to be affected in order to declare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Supplemental_Draft

you have to go back to 1989 before you find 2 players who simply "didn't file in time". The only other non punishment related reason ever given was for those who graduated with extra years of eligibility and declared late.

I highly doubt Wilson would be allowed in.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM ]
Not eligible.../thread
Originally posted by sfout:

no its not, they were debating not letting Pryor enter the supplemental and he was only suspended for 5 games. You're academic or athletic eligibility needs to be affected in order to declare.

you have to go back to 1989 before you find 2 players who simply "didn't file in time". The only other non punishment related reason ever given was for those who graduated with extra years of eligibility and declared late.

Agreed. Just because your former HC got caught with a 25 yr old and fired isnt a reason to be eligible for the supp draft.
  • titan
  • Veteran
So if he signs with an agent before the draft he is still inalagile!

• krizay
  • Veteran

With all due respect, Wilson is a red shirt Junior. Meaning he's been in college 4 years. Which means it's highly possible/probable he'll be graduating here shortly. Which would allow him to join the supplemental draft.

The usual examples of such circumstances would be academic ineligibility, getting kicked off a team or graduating and deciding to leave school.

Now obviously this is just a hypothetical as I have no clue if he did/will or not. Just merely stating it's more possible than you appear to think.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd take him over Robert Griffin no doubt.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

With all due respect, Wilson is a red shirt Junior. Meaning he's been in college 4 years. Which means it's highly possible/probable he'll be graduating here shortly. Which would allow him to join the supplemental draft.

The usual examples of such circumstances would be academic ineligibility, getting kicked off a team or graduating and deciding to leave school.

Now obviously this is just a hypothetical as I have no clue if he did/will or not. Just merely stating it's more possible than you appear to think.

yea no worries man but thats the point, even if he is on track to graduate this spring or summer the NFL would easily recognize that he was simply jumping ship due to his coach being axed after displaying no intent to enter the supplemental draft before any of these events unfolded. Just as I said before Terelle Pryor was still eligible to play in 2011 when he said he wanted to enter the supplemental draft and the NFL was very vocal with their opinion that he was being done a solid by being allowed to enter the supplemental with no viable reason and that they felt that he had manipulated the NFL rules on entering the supplemental draft so they will probably take a stance that they are concrete and you cant simply declare for it with out outside circumstances affecting your eligibility on a permanent basis. Ohio State basically did him and the nfl a solid by posthumously "suspending" him for all of 2011 after the NFL announced that he'd be able to enter the supplemental draft that way it looked like he didn't get special treatment.

I'm not saying he did but that is how it looks from the outside looking in. The idea of Wilson being allowed to enter the draft because "he graduated early" only weeks after his coach was fired amid a scandal would just look terrible on the NFL and its rules. Wilson would have to come up with an ironclad campaign to make it look like a legitimate decision. Also those ancient entrees in the 1980's and 1990's could have come at a time when the NFL draft deadline was later then it is today. I'm unaware of it ever being different then the mid january deadline it is today but back in the 80's it could have been much closer to the combine/draft and they might have literally graduated a week after the draft and said man I wish I had entered last month or even graduated in December and sat on the issue for a couple weeks or months after both graduation and the draft deadline had past, compared to the idea of Wilson saying "i decided 4 months later that I didn't want to go back to school because I am graduating in May, this has nothing to do with Petrino being fired for having an affair with a 25 year old woman" etc etc.

I'd be happy for the kid if he was able to enter because he's one of my favorite college QBs but I just dont see it being allowed to happen if it ever came out that he was thinking about it. Bacarri Rambo was being floated as supplemental candidate because he failed the a drug test but he will only be suspended for 2-4 games and hasn't been declared athletically or academically ineligible beyond that potential punishment, making it unlikely he would be allowed to enter the supplemental draft if were to decide he wanted out of UGA.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran

yea no worries man but thats the point, even if he is on track to graduate this spring or summer the NFL would easily recognize that he was simply jumping ship due to his coach being axed after displaying no intent to enter the supplemental draft before any of these events unfolded. Just as I said before Terelle Pryor was still eligible to play in 2011 when he said he wanted to enter the supplemental draft and the NFL was very vocal with their opinion that he was being done a solid by being allowed to enter the supplemental with no viable reason and that they felt that he had manipulated the NFL rules on entering the supplemental draft so they will probably take a stance that they are concrete and you cant simply declare for it with out outside circumstances affecting your eligibility on a permanent basis. Ohio State basically did him and the nfl a solid by posthumously "suspending" him for all of 2011 after the NFL announced that he'd be able to enter the supplemental draft that way it looked like he didn't get special treatment.

I'm not saying he did but that is how it looks from the outside looking in. The idea of Wilson being allowed to enter the draft because "he graduated early" only weeks after his coach was fired amid a scandal would just look terrible on the NFL and its rules. Wilson would have to come up with an ironclad campaign to make it look like a legitimate decision. Also those ancient entrees in the 1980's and 1990's could have come at a time when the NFL draft deadline was later then it is today. I'm unaware of it ever being different then the mid january deadline it is today but back in the 80's it could have been much closer to the combine/draft and they might have literally graduated a week after the draft and said man I wish I had entered last month or even graduated in December and sat on the issue for a couple weeks or months after both graduation and the draft deadline had past, compared to the idea of Wilson saying "i decided 4 months later that I didn't want to go back to school because I am graduating in May, this has nothing to do with Petrino being fired for having an affair with a 25 year old woman" etc etc.

I'd be happy for the kid if he was able to enter because he's one of my favorite college QBs but I just dont see it being allowed to happen if it ever came out that he was thinking about it. Bacarri Rambo was being floated as supplemental candidate because he failed the a drug test but he will only be suspended for 2-4 games and hasn't been declared athletically or academically ineligible beyond that potential punishment, making it unlikely he would be allowed to enter the supplemental draft if were to decide he wanted out of UGA.

But that's just it. Graduating and deciding to leave HAS BEEN a reason players were able to enter the supplemental draft. If he does in fact feel in limbo now that his coach is gone and he does in fact graduate here next month. He has a viable reason whether the real deep down reason is his coach or not.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
But that's just it. Graduating and deciding to leave HAS BEEN a reason players were able to enter the supplemental draft. If he does in fact feel in limbo now that his coach is gone and he does in fact graduate here next month. He has a viable reason whether the real deep down reason is his coach or not.

not if the NFL feels he simply running away from a problem. It could go either way but it just wouldn't look good now after his coach got shown the door after a scandal.

The NFL would be opening up one hell of a can of worms if they allowed Wilson in, would they allow Knile Davis another draft eligible player into the supplemental? What about Dennis Johnson or Cobi Hamilton their leading rusher and receiver from 2011? What if they heard they had 3rd or 4th round grades this past year decided that it could get worse next year in a new system.

They might be on track to graduate this semester as it really just depends on the degree they chose and the course load they've taken throughout their time at school. It would be too much of a hassle to allow 1-4 players from the same school into the draft all for "graduating early" immediately after a scandal like that.

We've got our beliefs and I'm not trying to change your mind or anything but thats how I see it.
Share 49ersWebzone