There are 184 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pat Kirwan's 2 Round Mock Draft

I don't see Poe...and really don't know much about Jones. Neither pick advances the offense, which I believe will be Harbaalke's focus early. I'll be amazed if they don't get Fleener...too much immediate upside and a sure cure for RZ and 3rd down woes. 2nd rd I'd expect best OG on the board. RB & WR in mid rds...S somewhere. Will not surprise me whatsoever to see Baalke trade up to get BPA and sacrifice a couple of picks. Roster's full already, so not a lot of room for rookies this year.
I don't expect Baalke to just stay put this draft...With little cap space left for their rookie class, Baalke's in a position to move up throughout the draft, targeting certain need positions. I'd expect a trade up in the middle of the first round in an attempt to grab David De Castro or Michael Floyd or possibly a defensive back. I doubt they stand packed. Baalke and Harbaugh are going to consolidate their seven draft picks into about four by the end of the day. Targeting TE, WR, G/C, CB, S, & RB in the process... Not necessarily in that order. However if we do stick with the 30th pick and Fleener is there... I have no doubt he's wearing Red and Gold his rookie season. So I say thanks but no thanks to Pat Kirwan's mock.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Originally posted by schmons:
its funny that you would call hill overrated and poe a freak because they both havent done jack s**t in their college careers

I think he was referring to Hill being overrated on the zone and due to his combine numbers. As for as Poe goes, I believe he is referring to Poe having freakish athletic ability, as shown at the combine as well. Some times people need to read between the lines. Just sayin'

thats my point exactly. poe is seen as a freakish athlete based only on his combine numbers just like hill is. so to call one overrated and the other a freak is silly to me
I'd be if Chandler Jones, brother of UFC Light Heavyweight Champ, Jon Jones, somehow fell to us in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
its funny that you would call hill overrated and poe a freak because they both havent done jack s**t in their college careers

I think he was referring to Hill being overrated on the zone and due to his combine numbers. As for as Poe goes, I believe he is referring to Poe having freakish athletic ability, as shown at the combine as well. Some times people need to read between the lines. Just sayin'

thats my point exactly. poe is seen as a freakish athlete based only on his combine numbers just like hill is. so to call one overrated and the other a freak is silly to me

I think the difference is game day performance. When Hill made plays, they were huge plays. When you average over 25 YPC, you are doing something right. He just didn't get a lot of looks playing in a triple option offense. Poe on the other hand barely registered on the stat sheet even though he played on a regular basis. Could he be special with some coaching? Maybe. If I were the Niners, I would pass on Poe, but give Hill a chance.
Poe has bust written all over him, but wont last past Denver if he even gets to 25. Hill at 30 would be a big reach but much safer, he'll take a season or two to develop. So providing we dont go WR with the 1st, makes me hate the Jones pick because we are in the sweet spot of value for receivers in the late second. The difference between receivers likely to be available at the end of the 1st compared to the end of the 2nd isnt that much.. but from late second to late third there is a noticeable dropoff in big bodied talent.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
I tend to agree with where he has players slotted talent-wise even though it's no the common feeling. I've said all along Hill is overrated and Fleener is a boarderline first round talent but will slip to the 2nd. Ruben Randle is a better player than Hill right now and is a safer pick. the guys runs well, is fluid in his routes, and has good hands.
Konz I think will drop because of the strength factor.

If we get Poe and Jones 1 & 2 I think we would have done very well. I saw the comment from a guy questioning why the niners would draft 2 defensive players in the first 2 rounds but his logic is off. NT is a need. I know Soap is good but depth is an issue and he isnt getting younger...plus Poe is a freak. As for Jones...you can never have enough pass rushers kind of like you can never have enought arms in baseball.

Smart teams draft BPA and we are now a smart team.

Just a gut feeling that Poe is a combine freak, his play on film does not back up his physical numbers. However, a team that doesn't mind developing those talents might be rewarded if he ends up with Justin Smith's ethics, but gut feeling is he does not.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is Hill, he is another combine freak and is obviouly raw in his route tree, because of the offense they ran though, this can explain his lack of numbers. Randle is a blue collar WR like Hines Ward, he won't be a pulling in huge numbers, but he probably will be like the Justin Smith of WR in that his motor never stops even if it isn't a pass play or he isn't the primary target.

Fleener has versatility to play a big wr or the TE. Just needs to better his run blocking.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Poe has bust written all over him, but wont last past Denver if he even gets to 25. Hill at 30 would be a big reach but much safer, he'll take a season or two to develop. So providing we dont go WR with the 1st, makes me hate the Jones pick because we are in the sweet spot of value for receivers in the late second. The difference between receivers likely to be available at the end of the 1st compared to the end of the 2nd isnt that much.. but from late second to late third there is a noticeable dropoff in big bodied talent.

This Poe might be good in the pro maybe but this guy took alot of play off in college i think he would have a problem adjusting to the blue collar mentality that Harbs has instilled here. Hill is raw as well but his production far exceeds Poe. He has a great work ethic and loves to run block, it just seems that Hill is a more of a Harbaugh type of guy.
Drafting Poe or Hill is about estimating physical upside, and estimating the character of the player to realize that upside.

Since none of us are interviewing these players with upside, we just don't know what the odds are of translating that upside into production.