There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pat Kirwan's 2 Round Mock Draft

Now for something completely different. Kirwan has us taking Dontari Poe, NT, at #30, and Chandler Jones, DE, at #61

On Poe:
Poe has slipped on draft boards because of production (five sacks in his college career) but he is a massive athlete. and it is hard to pass this type late in the first round. He will force double-teams and keep Patrick Willis free to roam the field.

On Jones:
He has been rising up draft boards after teams are satisfied with his recovery from a knee injury that kept him out of five games last year. He has long arms and could pack on more good weight with his frame.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/fullnflmockdraft-PatKirwan

I'm posting this because for months, the forum has been filled with fill our greatest need at #30. Before signing Moss and Manningham, it was Fleener or Hill to increase our passing attack. Lately, because we haven't signed a veteran OG, taking Kevin Zeitler OG (our biggest remaining hole.)

After the combine I saw mocks that had Poe go as high as Carolina at #9, before falling because he didn't have the production on tape. Could Kirwan be drafting BPA? Here are 2, recently updated, value boards:

Gill Brandt's latest Hot 100 Board:

Dontari Poe NT .......#17
Kevin Zeitler OG .....#26
Stephen Hill WR ......#29
Coby Fleener TE .....#32
Chandler Jones DE .#48

Rob Rang's Big Board:
Dontari Poe NT .......#14
Coby Fleener TE .....#20
Chandler Jones DE .#26
Kevin Zeitler OG .....#37
Stephen Hill WR......#49

If the draft fell as Kirwan guesses, our first 2 rounds picks (30 +61 = 91) would have netted value totaling:
17+48 = 65 (Brandt)
14+26 = 40 (Rang)

Value wise, that would be a very impressive yield.
I tend to agree with where he has players slotted talent-wise even though it's no the common feeling. I've said all along Hill is overrated and Fleener is a boarderline first round talent but will slip to the 2nd. Ruben Randle is a better player than Hill right now and is a safer pick. the guys runs well, is fluid in his routes, and has good hands.
Konz I think will drop because of the strength factor.

If we get Poe and Jones 1 & 2 I think we would have done very well. I saw the comment from a guy questioning why the niners would draft 2 defensive players in the first 2 rounds but his logic is off. NT is a need. I know Soap is good but depth is an issue and he isnt getting younger...plus Poe is a freak. As for Jones...you can never have enough pass rushers kind of like you can never have enought arms in baseball.

Smart teams draft BPA and we are now a smart team.
its funny that you would call hill overrated and poe a freak because they both havent done jack s**t in their college careers
Michael Floyd is not dropping to 21. He is not falling out of the top 10. No way
i wouldnt mind Poe at #30, but taking another Dline in 2nd makes no sense to me.
Saw this last night and couldn't believe it. With all the other hot prospects still on the board at C/OG, TE and WR, he proposes two defensive players. Personally, I would let someone else bet on the upside of Poe to take Konz or Fleener. Jones wouldn't be as bad because the Niners could use another pass rusher to backup All Done, Brooks, and Haralson.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Saw this last night and couldn't believe it. With all the other hot prospects still on the board at C/OG, TE and WR, he proposes two defensive players. Personally, I would let someone else bet on the upside of Poe to take Konz or Fleener. Jones wouldn't be as bad because the Niners could use another pass rusher to backup All Done, Brooks, and Haralson.

From what I have read, Chandler Jones has the length and the frame to become a 34 DE, if he adds about 20 lbs of muscle. His quickness is what makes him desirable, as Smith and McDonald are both quick for their size. I don't think he is fast enough to be a rush linebacker.
I'd be ecstatic if we landed Poe at 30. We could groom him for a year behind Sop and make him starting NT in 2013.
Originally posted by schmons:
its funny that you would call hill overrated and poe a freak because they both havent done jack s**t in their college careers

I think he was referring to Hill being overrated on the zone and due to his combine numbers. As for as Poe goes, I believe he is referring to Poe having freakish athletic ability, as shown at the combine as well. Some times people need to read between the lines. Just sayin'
We need D-line depth that can eventually take over as our current starters get older. We need OLB depth not not this high up, as our current starters figure to be there for a while. I want us to choose an OLB/ST player in the later rounds for this purpose; choosing Jones at #61 is a waste of a pick.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
I tend to agree with where he has players slotted talent-wise even though it's no the common feeling. I've said all along Hill is overrated and Fleener is a boarderline first round talent but will slip to the 2nd. Ruben Randle is a better player than Hill right now and is a safer pick. the guys runs well, is fluid in his routes, and has good hands.
Konz I think will drop because of the strength factor.

If we get Poe and Jones 1 & 2 I think we would have done very well. I saw the comment from a guy questioning why the niners would draft 2 defensive players in the first 2 rounds but his logic is off. NT is a need. I know Soap is good but depth is an issue and he isnt getting younger...plus Poe is a freak. As for Jones...you can never have enough pass rushers kind of like you can never have enought arms in baseball.

Smart teams draft BPA and we are now a smart team.

Good points plus this is soap's last year under contract. And realisticlally you can't keep everybody. They need to be looking at Soap's and Goldson's possible replacements if they don't currently think they are on the roster.
I'm sure you'll see someone from Brandt's and Rang's picks be the 49ers first round pick.
Very interesting.

I was blown away w/Poe's combine. Since JH's arrival, I've seen us getting faster - and Poe is super fast for a big guy, so it could work. Both Soap and Justin are getting up in years and having those 2 guys waiting in the wings could prove excellent moves.

I don't feel it will happen. I don't see Poe falling that far.
Can't see us taking a nose tackle or defensive end until maybe the later rounds. Those two areas are the few positions of depth on this team. If these guys are available Baalke will be after them....

1st Round:
Coby Fleener - TE
Rueben Randle - WR
Stephen Hill - WR

2nd Round:
Peter Konz - C
Antonio Allen - SS
Ben Jones - C

It's hard to trust any board that has Hill above Fleener. Hill is full of potential, but his speed doesnt translate to the field unless he is untouched (doesnt happen in the NFL) and he has average lateral quickness at best.