LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Harrison Smith????

I'm not saying that I think this will happen, or even that I want it to happen. Looking at draft projections, I can easily see a scenario where we are in sort of a no mans land at our pick. It is highly possible that we will be picking to late for a Wr of value, and too early for the group of G's that have been projected to us. In addition to that, Coby Fleener may have risen past our pick as I could easily see the Broncos having an interest in him. If we find ourselves stuck in this unfortunate position what should we do? As of late I have been toying with the idea of taking Smith under this scenario. Dashon only has the franchise tender right now. It may be worth while to cover ourselves in the event that he leaves after this season. Throw in the fact that both Reggie Smith and Madieu Williams have each departed via free agency, and there is a definate need at the positon. At the minimum we need to add a body for depth. Harrison appears to be a sound player and has been projected as high as pick 29 to the Ravens, so he is within our range. He could be a furture starter and help out on special teams. I would much have Fleener and/or Hill available, but if the draft plays out like this, I think we could do a lot worse than Harrison Smith.

P.S. I know we do have Colin Jones, but I do not think he is seen as a future starter.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM ]
Just my draft philosophy but I am not really for taking someone who we will need in 2-3 years (isn't Harrison suppose to be a SS?). Maybe if we need them after this season but getting someone to replace Whitner who is good for 2 more years seems like a luxury when we have needs that need to be addressed now. Now if we see him as a FS and we don't plan on signing Goldson (which I think we do) then maybe. Just not a big fan of picking guys who will most likely sit. Same with 3-4 DE when Smith has at least 2 more years...
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Just my draft philosophy but I am not really for taking someone who we will need in 2-3 years (isn't Harrison suppose to be a SS?). Maybe if we need them after this season but getting someone to replace Whitner who is good for 2 more years seems like a luxury when we have needs that need to be addressed now. Now if we see him as a FS and we don't plan on signing Goldson (which I think we do) then maybe. Just not a big fan of picking guys who will most likely sit. Same with 3-4 DE when Smith has at least 2 more years...

Smith is touted as a SS, but played some FS at ND. I prefer to pick a player of need, as with the new CBA rules the 5th yr option is based off the top 25 dollar amount of that players position. But for a top 15 pick it's top 10. So by year 4 we need to decide to pick up the option or extend him. If picking up option it will be average.

For Aldon it will be top 10 at OLB in 2015.

I actually want to trade out of round 1, pick up an extra 2 and 3 and add more depth. No major needs IMO.
I dont think we'll take him as I could see alot of dlineman on the board if some of the offensive targets are gone, but I do think he is a first round talent, and I belive Baltimore will take him before us anyways.
we have 2 great startig S but no depth i dont expect the niners to take a S til 4th round +
I def see your point with taking Smith to fill a major hole, but I also think he's more of a SS. I believe he was an OLB that converted to SS. I think we may be better off getting a large CB early and converting him. If we do face a nightmare scenario where Glenn, Fleener, Hill, Randle and Jeffery are all off the board by the time we pick AND we do not trade down into the top of the 2nd to pick a OG like Zeitler, Osemele or C.G like Konz..then someone else may fall to us. If a large CB like Stephon Gilmore is there at 30, why not try and convert him to FS? He's 6'1" 190? Probably not likely though. If we do trade back into the top of the 2nd and pick up that road grader OG, how about grabbing another large CB in Trumain Johnson? He's 6'2 204. If that's the case though, I would like to grab a WR in the 3rd like Quick or Childs, or maybe a 4th rounder like McNutt or Broyles.

Anyway we slice it though, I think at least one pick will be on a safety prospect this year.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Right now we've got our starting safeties in Whitner and Goldson with Goldson's agent reportedly a long term deal so theoretically we have no need for a immediate starting safety for 2 or 3 years minimum. Spillman is inline to be the #3 S with an "expanded" role and we have a 2010 5th round talent in Mark Legree as our #4 S so unless he just isn't talented he will likely make the final 53 in that capacity. Colin Jones' future is up there whether we'll list him as a "WR" or a "S" but he is primarily ST and he is the 2-3 year project that we already have on the roster. IMHO we only draft a safety this year if the FO decides that Colin Jones is going to be a WR/ST rather then a safety, or if we decide that Legree or Jones isn't worth the continued time.

I agree we'll probably still draft a safety but unless he is simply the flat out best player available we'll end up targeting one on day 3.
I dont think we'll take him as I could see alot of dlineman on the board if some of the offensive targets are gone,
i would take him
If we traded down, I would be all for it. However with Goldson and Whitner locked in as starters I see no need, unless we lose Goldson next year.

Back to this guy...I was thinking about how we do need a safety and Goldson is on a one year contract. I am seeing that he's been valued at the end of the first into the mid of the second like Zeitler, Silatolu, Martin, Fleener, etc.

Is he a FS or SS, first? Don't know much about him.

Could he be our surprise pick?
Markelle Martin over Smith please......Trade down in the 2nd or trade up in the 3rd and make it happen.
Share 49ersWebzone