There are 191 users in the forums

I've got Randle over Hill...Am I crazy?

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Based on what?

He's really tall and can run in a straight line VERY fast...
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i agree with this assesment

other than a 9 route or some jump ball in RZ i dont see him contributing next year

If we draft him, Hill won't suit up most games.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
i agree with this assesment

other than a 9 route or some jump ball in RZ i dont see him contributing next year

If we draft him, Hill won't suit up most games.

i know im not against drafting him one bit

and him learning from moss who he may be a clone physically off will benefit him greatly

and him learning from moss who he may be a clone physically off will benefit him greatly

Or he can be a total bust who never cracks the roster.
Taylor Mays was missing the most basic abilities for a safety; the ability to read (mentally) and react instantly (flipping the hips) to make a play. Hill has all of the physical gifts you can ask for in a WR, but he's raw and needs to eliminate dropping the easy/open pass (concentration).

Big and fast doesn't=Taylor Mays. There are skills, competencies and nuances that each position requires and some players (though immensely athletic) just don't have them. Mays should've made the transition to OLB at USC; he's much better suited to play that position than he is safety. THAT is the problem with Taylor Mays.

Like every other rookie ever drafted.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM ]

hes a hard worker with lots of talent so i doubt it

in between combine and pro days he hires a great falcon Wr forgot who at the moment to tutor him on route running

i think hard worker + great physical specimen = good WR

again its not guarenteed and it will take him a year to be effective but i dont htink he will bust as long as he has a good offensive/WR coach

hes a hard worker with lots of talent so i doubt it

in between combine and pro days he hires a great falcon Wr forgot who at the moment to tutor him on route running

i think hard worker + great physical specimen = good WR

again its not guarenteed and it will take him a year to be effective but i dont htink he will bust as long as he has a good offensive/WR coach

People tend to have favorites, and they'll throw all the negatives they can at the guys they don't like, but they'll look through rose-colored glasses at the guys they do like. Happens every year in the draft room.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Taylor Mays was missing the most basic abilities for a safety; the ability to read (mentally) and react instantly (flipping the hips) to make a play. Hill has all of the physical gifts you can ask for in a WR, but he's raw and needs to eliminate dropping the easy/open pass (concentration).

Big and fast doesn't=Taylor Mays. There are skills, competencies and nuances that each position requires and some players (though immensely athletic) just don't have them. Mays should've made the transition to OLB at USC; he's much better suited to play that position than he is safety. THAT is the problem with Taylor Mays.

I fell like we would be saying a lot of the same stuff about Hill after a season in the league. It just seems like Hill's entire draft potential is based solely on how well he performed on turf with no pads on. Hill doesn't blow me away on tape like a first round pick should, third round sure. I see a lot more of Randle beating double coverage and going across the middle against tougher SEC defenses. Randle also appears to have better acceleration out of his cuts. Hill just seems like a one trick pony who is most likely to be overdrafted in the first round and be traded for a 7th round pick within 2 years. I don't watch GT and am basing this solely on video I find on the internet so take it for what you will.
[ Edited by walker807 on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM ]

I think hill is benefitting from those who look at the GT WRs that came before him

That is true, but that is where you must analyze it thuroughly. Some schools just produce good players at certain positions. Like when John robinson was the coach at USC, they produced good OL and RB. At Penn State they have been known as the place to get LB. They get talented players and coach them up. Where as some schools, the players are a product of the system. Example-Oklahoma State has produced wr whose production have not lived up to the hype of their college numbers or Urban Myers and his QBs. Same can be said of Spurrior's QB's.

Georgia Tech doesn't run a system that is wr friendly but have recruited and coached up talented wr's that has produced better than expected prospects lately. Hill may need some coaching up to be a total package, but I think he is one that can succeed with a good coach.
Originally posted by WildBill:
That is true, but that is where you must analyze it thuroughly. Some schools just produce good players at certain positions. Like when John robinson was the coach at USC, they produced good OL and RB. At Penn State they have been known as the place to get LB. They get talented players and coach them up. Where as some schools, the players are a product of the system. Example-Oklahoma State has produced wr whose production have not lived up to the hype of their college numbers or Urban Myers and his QBs. Same can be said of Spurrior's QB's.

Georgia Tech doesn't run a system that is wr friendly but have recruited and coached up talented wr's that has produced better than expected prospects lately. Hill may need some coaching up to be a total package, but I think he is one that can succeed with a good coach.

not sure when thomas was drafted (i think 3 years ago) but he is only made an impact last year

CJ is an exception though he was considered the best Wr draft prospect ever
I want SANU!!!!!
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I fell like we would be saying a lot of the same stuff about Hill after a season in the league. It just seems like Hill's entire draft potential is based solely on how well he performed on turf with no pads on. Hill doesn't blow me away on tape like a first round pick should, third round sure. I see a lot more of Randle beating double coverage and going across the middle against tougher SEC defenses. Randle also appears to have better acceleration out of his cuts. Hill just seems like a one trick pony who is most likely to be overdrafted in the first round and be traded for a 7th round pick within 2 years. I don't watch GT and am basing this solely on video I find on the internet so take it for what you will.

I happen to like both Hill and Randle so I won't argue that point. I just think the Hill detractors in this forum are looking at him from a glass-half-empty perspective. In other words, they're focusing on the negatives and not on the fairly substantial positives (he led the nation in YPC in a non-passing offense, has GREAT size and speed for a WR, has shown a great work ethic and excellent character, shows natural hands and amazing leaping ability, etc.).

Again, I wouldn't complain if we picked Randle or even Jeffrey over Hill because I think they're all excellent prospects. But I think of what a coach like Harbaugh could do with a WR specimen like Hill (who is bigger, faster and jumps higher than the other three) and it boggles the mind. So it's a matter of taste...do you go with more proven/productive guys like Randle or Jeffrey, or do you roll the dice on the athletic freak? Most would take Randle or Jeffrey...me personally, if all three were available, I'd take a chance on Hill. But it's just my opinion.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Based on what?

He's really tall and can run in a straight line VERY fast...

And has two legs and breathes air....

I can kinda get raw....only from the standpoint of not seeing much....but mays did not have the same kind of combine...he presented himself as an athlete, but suffered on positional drills...couldnt shift his hips either...Hill looked good at everything.
Share 49ersWebzone