LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

PTulini's 49ers Mock Draft Version 1.0 (04.08.12)

Originally posted by PTulini:
WE DO HAVE ROOM TO DRAFT TWO WRS!! Crabtree and Manningham are currently our only "solid" WRs. The rest are either special teams players (Ginn and Swain) OR could be questionable to even make the 49ers roster (Moss and K. Williams). We need to add depth and build for the future.

Just cause they play special teams doesn't mean they don't take up roster spots.

We currently have:

- Randy Moss
- Michael Crabtree
- Mario Manningham
- Kyle Williams
- Ted Ginn Jr.
- Brett Swain

Are we going to carry 6+ wideouts. I don't think so. I don't think we carried more than five last year.

Is McNutt and Owuso better than Moss and Williams. I don't think so, I don't think management believes so either. Any receiver we draft has to be better than Williams.
Not sure I'm a huge fan of DT at 30 unless he truely is the BPA. Outside of this LOVE THIS Mock. Some love for McNutt finally, along with Egnew and Bethal. Guard in second round very nice..
Originally posted by D-Money:
Just cause they play special teams doesn't mean they don't take up roster spots.

We currently have:

- Randy Moss
- Michael Crabtree
- Mario Manningham
- Kyle Williams
- Ted Ginn Jr.
- Brett Swain

Are we going to carry 6+ wideouts. I don't think so. I don't think we carried more than five last year.

Is McNutt and Owuso better than Moss and Williams. I don't think so, I don't think management believes so either. Any receiver we draft has to be better than Williams.

I like Williams despite the fumbles. but I can assure you McNutt is every bit as good as Kyle, and more of a Redzone threat!!!
Good draft.

Worthy might blossom into a big-time player.

Bergstrom in solid. I still feel Kilgore will shime but we need quality depth for the Oline - good move, and he should be there

I LIKE 2 WR and a TE. Isn't Owusu the gut w/all the concussions? That really bothers me if it is but worth a 6th.

I'm a big McNutt fan and think he has huge potential, Egnew is real fast.

Thanks - I like it.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Pat, I think you got the positions of need filled in this mock, but I question the fit of the top 2 players you projected.

Worthy - Where would you play him? NT or DE? I don't see him as a great fit in the 3-4.
Bergstrom - Why not Silatolu, Brooks or Osemele? Bergstrom is a huge reach and out of position.

McNutt is the best of the rest.

I think adding DT Jerel Worthy would give us flexibility on the D-line. Yes, we play in a 3-4 based scheme, but we also use a 4-3 at times. In my opinion, Worthy has a stout frame where he could bulk up to play NT in the 3-4. But regardless, we need quality depth and he could be part of the D-line rotation while he refines his technique.

As for the OGs you suggested, they're all the heavy- legged type which I'm not a big fan of. Bergstrom is listed as an OG, but 'hes another player that gives us the flexibility to play RT if needed. We have enough "maulers", we really need to get improve in pass protection.

I won't argue the point that the Niners could use some picks to upgrade the depth on the D line, but I think there are better fits than Worthy. I really like Kendall Reyes DT/DE UConn in the late first or Derek Wolfe DT from Cincinnati in the middle rounds.

In regards to Bergstrom, the Niners already have a backup OT in Alex Boone that covers that particular need. Bergstrom is not even listed in the top 10 prospects at the OT position in this draft. Still believe the Niners could get a much better player who can cover their biggest need, ROG.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Thank you for not doing the first round WR/TE thing. Anything other than QB is just as likely. Looks good.
[ Edited by okdkid on Apr 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM ]
Pat, I think you got the positions of need filled in this mock, but I question the fit of the top 2 players you projected.

Worthy - Where would you play him? NT or DE? I don't see him as a great fit in the 3-4.
Bergstrom - Why not Silatolu, Brooks or Osemele? Bergstrom is a huge reach and out of position.

I think adding DT Jerel Worthy would give us flexibility on the D-line. Yes, we play in a 3-4 based scheme, but we also use a 4-3 at times. In my opinion, Worthy has a stout frame where he could bulk up to play NT in the 3-4. But regardless, we need quality depth and he could be part of the D-line rotation while he refines his technique.

As for the OGs you suggested, they're all the heavy- legged type which I'm not a big fan of. Bergstrom is listed as an OG, but 'hes another player that gives us the flexibility to play RT if needed. We have enough "maulers", we really need to get improve in pass protection.

Worthy sounds exactly like Balmer to me. From a size standpoint, and thinking he could bulk up to play the 3-4 NT
ZOMG NOT FLEENER ZOMG?!?!?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Worthy sounds exactly like Balmer to me. From a size standpoint, and thinking he could bulk up to play the 3-4 NT

Not to mention they are both African American under the age of 30 and both went to college! They're basically identical twins! Wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM ]
I like the mocks that pick Fleener or a wr or the OG in the first. But this is pretty realistic. Not everything makes sense sometimes. I think Randy Moss is going to make the team though, so maybe we won't draft 2 wr's. Basically you went BPA and added depth at DLine, Oline, another big TE for the redzone, etc...

It's not sexy and won't get a lot of fans but it's the way the draft goes most of the time.

mcnutt
Originally posted by sspiker:
There's no room on the roster for two WRs and that's a reach for a TE at #3. Otherwise I generally like it.
Not if you cut god damn kyle williams
  • cools
  • Veteran
I like Bergstrom, but in the 3rd..If we dont go OL earlier

I just dont see us going DL at all, they protected Dobbs and Williams for a reason, that was a high risk
they must really like somthin, Tuku has also worked hard to become a 3-4 DE, and RJF (our first off the bench) could start any position
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Just thinking about Balmer makes me cringe.....................good call.
This is from a Trent Baalke take on the draft. Well i hope this happens.
Trade 2013 pick of 2 and 7th rounds and 2014 2 round for Browns late 1 round and second round
1. 22. Cordy Glenn OG Georgia. We need OG and this guy playing in a strong defensive conference did well and will do great with the Niners.
1. 30. Coby Fleener TE Stanford. Forget WR at this pick Coby is a Gronkowski type TE and with Vernon Davis we could have the same results as New England has. Coby has the size and catching ability to be a threat especially in the red zone.
2. 37. Devon Still DT Penn St. We need a DT because Issac Sopoaga needs to get rest at times because he played all snaps this year and Devon still is a next level DT we can use right away.
2. 61. Bruce Irvin OLB West Virginia. With the strength in ILB even in the second strings we need to add strong second strings to OLB we have Aldon but we can use others that are as strong as he is and we need that depth.
3. 92. Ron Brooks CB LSU. I know lots of CB already but this guy is from the top defense of LSU and is a next level prospect that can start in special teams and evolve into a starting CB.
4. 125. Marvin Jones WR Cal. If we are lucky enough for him to land in this round we should take him and he can evolve into a next level Receiver and if hes not Here we should go with. A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois another possible 4th rounder.
5. 165 Janzen Jackson FS. Mcneese St. Has everything to be a next level FS and with depth needed at this position and the possibility of losing Goldson next year we need a Free Safety.
6. 199 Jacquies Smith DE Missouri. Another product of Missouri who gave us Aldon Smith we could use a DE and also work on one in next years draft but in a earlier round. Justin Smith and Ray Mcdonald have good years ahead of them but we need to find the future also.
7. 273 Keshawn Martin WR/PR/KR Michigan St. With Ted Ginn on a one year contract we need a Kick returner and Keshawn could do that a be a WR.
Share 49ersWebzone