There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

PTulini's 49ers Mock Draft Version 1.0 (04.08.12)

Round

1 (30) DT Jerel Worthy - Michigan St. 6'2 3/8" 309 lbs.

2 (61) OG Tony Bergstrom - Utah 6'5 3/8" 313 lbs.

3 (92) TE Michael Egnew - Missouri 6'5 1/8" 252 lbs.

4 (125) WR Marvin McNutt - Iowa 6'2 3/4" 216 lbs.

5 (165) CB/S Justin Bethel - Presbyterian 5'11 5/8" 200 lbs.

6 (199) WR Chris Owusu - Stanford 6'0 1/8" 196 lbs.

7 (237) DE/OLB Adewale Ojomo - Miami 6'3 1/8" 258 lbs.

NOTE: I believe we could have to trade up into the 3rd round to draft WR Marvin McNutt.
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 8, 2012 at 7:42 AM ]
There's no room on the roster for two WRs and that's a reach for a TE at #3. Otherwise I generally like it.
Originally posted by sspiker:
There's no room on the roster for two WRs and that's a reach for a TE at #3. Otherwise I generally like it.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you. There is room for two more WRs on this roster.

We currently have:

- Randy Moss
- Michael Crabtree
- Mario Manningham
- Kyle Williams
- Ted Ginn Jr.
- Brett Swain

Now I know that gives us six WRs, but two of those are mainly special teams players (Ginn and Swain). Then there's Randy Moss... At 35 and being out of the NFL last season, I'm not counting on him making the 49ers' 53-man roster. Even if he does, there's no guarantee he can stay healthy throughout the entire season!

As for TE Michael Egnew, with his combination of size and speed I think he could help to improve our redzone offense tremendously.
Redzone attach is our biggest weakness therefore should be addressed 1st with the best player available to upgrade that problem.
Thats gonna come from 1 of 3 pos.
TE,RB or WR
are any one of those pos. worthy of our 30th pick=no
So I say we trade back because there are lot of impact players im this draft and I think Harghbaalke will get 'em
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
finally love for mcnutt , I think we have to take him if he is there at three but he may go second round
Yeah no room for two wideouts in the draft. And McNutt would have a hard time making the team himself. Any receiver we draft will have to be better than Kyle Williams as he would be the one getting cut.
Pat, I think you got the positions of need filled in this mock, but I question the fit of the top 2 players you projected.

Worthy - Where would you play him? NT or DE? I don't see him as a great fit in the 3-4.
Bergstrom - Why not Silatolu, Brooks or Osemele? Bergstrom is a huge reach and out of position.

McNutt is the best of the rest.
a DT in the first isn't something I would predict but it wouldn't floor me. I think Soap is a FA after next season and I'm not sure if the organization views RJF or Turkafu as starter material at DT. The DL is one of our best overall units on the team. No need there but if a DT is clearly the BPA I wouldn't mind it whatsoever. You can never have too many good DL. Just look at Detroit taking Fairley despite having Suh. I love your 2nd round pick Tony Bergstrom and I like how the rest of your draft played out. We need a WR earlier IMO but if the team thinks Moss will stick and if they like Williams then we may be good.
WE DO HAVE ROOM TO DRAFT TWO WRS!! Crabtree and Manningham are currently our only "solid" WRs. The rest are either special teams players (Ginn and Swain) OR could be questionable to even make the 49ers roster (Moss and K. Williams). We need to add depth and build for the future.
DT is def not our 1st priority, especially having RJF and Ian Williams on the roster. I wouldnt even think about it until rd.5 let alone #1. Save DT for next years draft
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D-Money:
Yeah no room for two wideouts in the draft. And McNutt would have a hard time making the team himself. Any receiver we draft will have to be better than Kyle Williams as he would be the one getting cut.

why would mcnutt have a hard time making the team?he may be better right now than a few guys currently on our roster. besides JH used to live in iowa city
Teams will be staying away from Owusu because of his concussion problems. We should do the same. I like the McNutt pick, though. And you can never have enough big uglies, so OL and DL is probable. I have a feeling HarBaalke will be looking for a skill player in the 1st round.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Pat, I think you got the positions of need filled in this mock, but I question the fit of the top 2 players you projected.

Worthy - Where would you play him? NT or DE? I don't see him as a great fit in the 3-4.
Bergstrom - Why not Silatolu, Brooks or Osemele? Bergstrom is a huge reach and out of position.

McNutt is the best of the rest.

I think adding DT Jerel Worthy would give us flexibility on the D-line. Yes, we play in a 3-4 based scheme, but we also use a 4-3 at times. In my opinion, Worthy has a stout frame where he could bulk up to play NT in the 3-4. But regardless, we need quality depth and he could be part of the D-line rotation while he refines his technique.

As for the OGs you suggested, they're all the heavy- legged type which I'm not a big fan of. Bergstrom is listed as an OG, but 'hes another player that gives us the flexibility to play RT if needed. We have enough "maulers", we really need to get improve in pass protection.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
DT is def not our 1st priority, especially having RJF and Ian Williams on the roster. I wouldnt even think about it until rd.5 let alone #1. Save DT for next years draft

In this case, Why not draft a DT (Worthy) now, then we can have him up to speed for next year when we'll really need him?
Still have fears from the last DT we drafted late in the first round