LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

OTC's Big 253 Board -- April 6

OTC, I'm a big Purdue fan and was looking to see what your thoughts on Ken Plue, OG are? He's a kid would messed up his Sr. year with academic problems, and had to redshirt. He was expected to come back this year, but decided to become and early entry. I know, more than likely, that he'll go undrafted. But was wondering what your view of him is? He's a 6'6 340+, with a lot of starting experience in the Big 10. He was at one time in Kipers top 10 guards list. He was a Big 10 Honorable mention as a Soph. Just wondering if you see him having a place in the NFL or is he limited?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It is hard to pinpoint his falling spot. He's all over the place, but I think it is HUGELY dependent on how the top half of the draft falls. Reason being, other teams have different needs and a lot of other possible BPA's I believe ahead of Hill.

Possible landing spots for Hill range from the Jets, Chargers, Bengals, Browns, Lions, Broncos, and Texans. I think the Bears will pass on WR after the acquisition of Marshall.

Jets - Probably will look more for a pass rusher or RT.
Bengals - Probably will look more at DL (poor pass rush last year), DB, or OG.
Chargers - Is in serious need of OL help after losing several linemen. They did sign a couple receivers too.
Browns - If they take Blackmon at 4, I don't think they'll take another WR at 22.
Lions - Probably will look more at DB, RB, or OL.
Broncos - They are a bigger possibility, but they really need a DT and CB as well as OL help.
Texans - I think if Hill and Wright are both there, they take Wright. Either way, I think the one they don't take (if they both make it that far) will go to us.

chargers also need pass rushers

they have the worst pass rus in nfl

out of those teams jets, bengals,browns and texans will take a WR

jets do need a pass rusher and a S (barron) so i dont really see them getting a WR

bengals need a G and DB more than a WR butif glenn and decastro arent there i see them getting a DB and a WR

browns - i think they go WR for sure unless they go blackmon at 4 which isnt holgrems style they go after wright or hill (both should be avaliable)

texans- will take WR really their only need at the moment

It's possible. Bengals also badly need a RB since Benson is gone. I'd say Cincy looks at CB, S, RB, and OG before WR.
OTC - was Konz strictly a center and thats how he will translate to the pro's or do teams see him as a guard and does he have any experience?

Also are their any guards that you think are worth a first round pick or early 2nd? lets say within the 25th pick to the 36th. I know you have them ranked but who do you think would actually be worth it? If we had to trade up or down in that range.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
OTC - was Konz strictly a center and thats how he will translate to the pro's or do teams see him as a guard and does he have any experience?

Also are their any guards that you think are worth a first round pick or early 2nd? lets say within the 25th pick to the 36th. I know you have them ranked but who do you think would actually be worth it? If we had to trade up or down in that range.

The only interior linemen that I see as 1st round worthy are Glenn, DeCastro, and Konz. Konz has all his experience at center, but if you can play at center, you can play any interior position -- and this is the take on Konz. Scouts believe this makes him extremely versatile and that he would be an immediate starter at all three interior positions.

I see Zeitler, Osemele, Brooks, and Silatolu as solid 2nd round selections with starter potential at RG but not on the same level as the other three I mentioned above.

If we don't take an OL in round one or two, I'd love to see the Niners target Brandon Washington in the third if he makes it there. Philip Blake in the 4th could be a possibility too.

The only interior linemen that I see as 1st round worthy are Glenn, DeCastro, and Konz. Konz has all his experience at center, but if you can play at center, you can play any interior position -- and this is the take on Konz. Scouts believe this makes him extremely versatile and that he would be an immediate starter at all three interior positions.

I see Zeitler, Osemele, Brooks, and Silatolu as solid 2nd round selections with starter potential at RG but not on the same level as the other three I mentioned above.

If we don't take an OL in round one or two, I'd love to see the Niners target Brandon Washington in the third if he makes it there. Philip Blake in the 4th could be a possibility too.

And if I could add on, my boy Tom Compton RG South Dakota in the 5th or 6th round. There's still plenty of room on the bandwagon.
This year seems to be a tad more difficult to gauge the late rounds of the draft (6-7) with a MASSIVE amount of late risers. It's tough to weed out who will go undrafted because you've got productive players with lower measurables that often go in this area, but also not-so-productive guys with massive upside or athletic ability and measurables that are too hard to ignore.

Takes some digging to really figure out who has the best shot to get picked.
Thanks OTC. I think this draft is pretty deep in quality. Should be fun

Didn't Silatolu play left tackle in college? If so, I assume he has the versatility to play right tackle (in a backup role) and maybe both guard positions in the pro's.
Originally posted by kronik:

Didn't Silatolu play left tackle in college? If so, I assume he has the versatility to play right tackle (in a backup role) and maybe both guard positions in the pro's.

Yep. I actually think he's a massive potential dark horse pick for the 49ers at #30. Some have mentioned Zeitler, but I think Silatolu could be seen as sort of the Aldon Smith of OG this year. Heck of a lot of parallels when you think about it.

* Huge potential, but expected to need time to develop.
* Position tweak/change expected.
* Like Aldon, Silatolu is expected to be an early pick -- in his case, as high as the top of the second, but not quite as early as 30. So he has the potential to go a little earlier than expected.
* Like the Aldon pick did for OLB, Silatolu at OG would fill the hugest, most immediate need we have at the RG position.
Yep. I actually think he's a massive potential dark horse pick for the 49ers at #30. Some have mentioned Zeitler, but I think Silatolu could be seen as sort of the Aldon Smith of OG this year. Heck of a lot of parallels when you think about it.

* Like Aldon, Silatolu is expected to be an early pick -- in his case, as high as the top of the second, but not quite as early as 30. So he has the potential to go a little earlier than expected.
* Like the Aldon pick did for OLB, Silatolu at OG would fill the hugest, most immediate need we have at the RG position.

I'd be pretty surprised if Silatolu went before Osemele. Ted Thompson of the Packers went to Osemele's pro day.

Edit: And perosnally I wouldn't be that surprised if Zeitler was taken at the end of the 1st. He excelled during interviews (reportedly) and has a perfectionist attitude. After Riley Reiff, I think he may be the most technically sound lineman in the draft.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM ]

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I'd be pretty surprised if Silatolu went before Osemele. Ted Thompson of the Packers went to Osemele's pro day.

Edit: And perosnally I wouldn't be that surprised if Zeitler was taken at the end of the 1st. He excelled during interviews (reportedly) and has a perfectionist attitude. After Riley Reiff, I think he may be the most technically sound lineman in the draft.

Word is on Osemele that his work ethic is a noted problem area, along with football intelligence, questionable care for the game of football, and being raw in general. I think Osemele has a boatload of potential but seems to be an astronomically higher risk than others when it comes to the probability of maximizing his ability and fulfilling his potential in the NFL.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]
OTC, thanks for your work on this stuff. Based on your board, I put this mock together for the Niners:

1/30) Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
I'm going to play it safe and project this pick as Fleener, Konz, Hill, or Randle. The Niners should get a good player here.

2/61) Alameda Ta'amu NT
I think this pick should either be CB or Dline. I was shocked they didn't grab a NT last year, get a big body here.

3/92) Greg Childs WR Arkansas
If they do not get a WR with their 1st, I see Childs as a great value pick. Hopefully he falls.

4/125) Mike Brewster OG/C Ohio State
OTC, what do you think of Brewster? He sounds like he'd be a really good value pick to compete with Kilgore at RG now, and eventually grow into the OC of the future.

5/165) Asa Jackson CB Cal Poly
This projects that Jackson falls a little bit based on your board. He looks like an interesting developmental player.

6/199) Tim Fugger DE/OLB Vanderbilt
Getting a productive pass rusher in the 6th is great.

7/237) Sean Richardson S Vanderbilt
Once again, hoping he falls a little bit. I think the Niners could use some beef in the SS depth chart.
Originally posted by Butter:
OTC, thanks for your work on this stuff. Based on your board, I put this mock together for the Niners:

I'm going to play it safe and project this pick as Fleener, Konz, Hill, or Randle. The Niners should get a good player here.

2/61) Alameda Ta'amu NT
I think this pick should either be CB or Dline. I was shocked they didn't grab a NT last year, get a big body here.

If they do not get a WR with their 1st, I see Childs as a great value pick. Hopefully he falls.

OTC, what do you think of Brewster? He sounds like he'd be a really good value pick to compete with Kilgore at RG now, and eventually grow into the OC of the future.

This projects that Jackson falls a little bit based on your board. He looks like an interesting developmental player.

Once again, hoping he falls a little bit. I think the Niners could use some beef in the SS depth chart.

We'll see with Richardson. He should definitely get drafted. Really smart, good size and speed combo, has started at both safety positions so he is versatile, and has good quickness for his size.

As far as Brewster, I'm thinking he may struggle in certain schemes. Passes all the tests on paper when it comes to physical ability and smarts, but on the field seems to have consistently struggled in certain areas, leading some to believe they are limitations he may never overcome. Particularly noted is the tendency to miss blocks at the next level. This makes him ineffective pulling, trapping, or really having to deal with any moving targets in general and causes him to be susceptible to stunts. Could be a problem in the NFL.

2/61) Alameda Ta'amu NT

We'll see with Richardson. He should definitely get drafted. Really smart, good size and speed combo, has started at both safety positions so he is versatile, and has good quickness for his size.

As far as Brewster, I'm thinking he may struggle in certain schemes. Passes all the tests on paper when it comes to physical ability and smarts, but on the field seems to have consistently struggled in certain areas, leading some to believe they are limitations he may never overcome. Particularly noted is the tendency to miss blocks at the next level. This makes him ineffective pulling, trapping, or really having to deal with any moving targets in general and causes him to be susceptible to stunts. Could be a problem in the NFL.

Maybe they should just pull the trigger on Konz at 30 if he's there then. If Child's is on the board at the end of the 3rd, that seems like a really good value pick.

2/61) Alameda Ta'amu NT

Maybe they should just pull the trigger on Konz at 30 if he's there then. If Child's is on the board at the end of the 3rd, that seems like a really good value pick.

If we're looking for a center prospect, Konz is the best one. I also like Philip Blake from Baylor, I think he has some tools to work with that could make him a good potential starter in the NFL. Some teams could see him as a 3rd round value. Depending on how team needs/BPA falls on draft day, pinpointing where he goes could be difficult, but I can't imagine him making it out of the 5th, and my expectation is the 4th at the latest right now.

Also, seeing our apparent characteristic of looking at guys we feel we can develop to play any position, I think other players that some might see as guards or tackles might not be ruled out of the equation either if we feel one is a good potential center of the future.
Share 49ersWebzone