There are 397 users in the forums

Draft Visit & Workout Tracker UPDATE: DRAFTED JENKINS, FLEMING, SLOWEY

• sfout
  • Veteran
Can't find anything indicating a visit but we've shown extra interest in Toledo DB Desmond Morrow. Per Eric Branch.....

Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Desmond Marrow is viewed as a possible late-round pick. The#49ers have selected small-school CBs in 7th round of past two drafts.

9hEric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Toledo CB Desmond Marrow is apparently on the #49ers radar.#49ers scout Ethan Waugh attended Toledo's pro day on ...http://www.sulia.com/c/san-francisco-49ers/f/b7323b56-8cb4-40dd-ae04-799abfa90fa6/?source=twitter

and via http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75864&draftyear=2012&genpos=FS

03/14/12 - With Eric Page's participation being limited, other Toledo athletes had a shot to show off for the 15 teams that supplied scouts. Marrow and VanDerMeulen in particular greatly helped their chances to get a late-round draft pick. Marrow has good size at 6-foot-3 for a cornerback, but could also play safety in the NFL. He ran his fastest time of 4.49 in the 40-yard dash and was impressive throughout the other drills. "I was a lot more calm than I thought I would be," Marrow said. "Training for months I was getting more and more nervous but this was a more relaxed setting where I could just come out and do what I do. I think I did good overall. A scout said I had one of the better days here so I am pleased with how I did."
-
We also paid extra attention to Stanford DB Michael Thomas at our local pro day, looks like we will be targeting several DBs as late round selections or UDFAs.
Originally posted by sfout:
According to @RavensInsider Aaron Wilson these are the teams with the heaviest interest in Amini Silatolu

Aaron WilsonAlso In Baltimore Ravens
Among the other teams that are logical fits for Amini Silatolu or are believed to have strong interest in him: the San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens, San Diego Chargers, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Washington Redskins and the Houston Texans.

--
So it looks like he really is going to be a top 35 pick, I'm confused by the Redskins interest as they do not have a 2nd round pick because of the RG3 trade, would they trade a 1st rounder next year for a very early 2nd if he slips past the Giants? With this news it also greatly increases the likelihood that at least 1 more of Kendall Wright, Rueben Randle, Stephen Hill or Coby Fleener will be available when we pick at 30, provided that is of course one of these teams ahead of us does pick Silatolu.

I've got him moving into top 30 and will be surprised if he is not selected on Thursday.
Can't find anything indicating a visit but we've shown extra interest in Toledo DB Desmond Morrow. Per Eric Branch.....

Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch Reply Retweet Favorite � Open
Desmond Marrow is viewed as a possible late-round pick. The#49ers have selected small-school CBs in 7th round of past two drafts.

9hEric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch Reply Retweet Favorite � Open
Toledo CB Desmond Marrow is apparently on the #49ers radar.#49ers scout Ethan Waugh attended Toledo's pro day on ...http://www.sulia.com/c/san-francisco-49ers/f/b7323b56-8cb4-40dd-ae04-799abfa90fa6/?source=twitter

and via http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75864&draftyear=2012&genpos=FS

03/14/12 - With Eric Page's participation being limited, other Toledo athletes had a shot to show off for the 15 teams that supplied scouts. Marrow and VanDerMeulen in particular greatly helped their chances to get a late-round draft pick. Marrow has good size at 6-foot-3 for a cornerback, but could also play safety in the NFL. He ran his fastest time of 4.49 in the 40-yard dash and was impressive throughout the other drills. "I was a lot more calm than I thought I would be," Marrow said. "Training for months I was getting more and more nervous but this was a more relaxed setting where I could just come out and do what I do. I think I did good overall. A scout said I had one of the better days here so I am pleased with how I did."
-
We also paid extra attention to Stanford DB Michael Thomas at our local pro day, looks like we will be targeting several DBs as late round selections or UDFAs.

Been keeping tabs on Marrow. I am very torn on whether or not he will be drafted. So many more fringe players this year than I can remember. It will be fun to see how the final picks all shake out.
Bump for Trevor Coston S from Maine.

Could be. Bubble draftee that I have just outside right now. He and McMillian made a stud secondary for Maine

Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch Reply Retweet Favorite � Open

9hEric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch Reply Retweet Favorite � Open

-

Think Jeremy Jones from Wayne State. Just have a hunch the team will be all over him in the 7th round.
The picture of insanity is the Maddog sitting behind a laptop and IPad rifling through 500 plus prospects trying to shepherd them into some cohesive order, leaving half out of the draft and then having buyer's remorse instantly afterward.. The seventh round could be a disaster for a lot of draft experts this year. I just don't see many conventional names being taken.

Looking forward to the end of the draft when I can regain my sanity.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for sfout.
all together we've used 17-20 of our 30 allotted pre-draft workouts/interviews. I would make an argument that while some prospects are legitimate targets for us such as Silatolu, Hill, Turbin that maybe just maybe one hand we brought in specific players to attempt to give us as much of a background on players that we might take instead of players we like but have not hosted, i.e. LaMichael James or Chris Polk, as we hosted a James-like player Pead and Polk-like player in Turbin.

Tom Gamble attended both James' and Polk's pro-days and showed particular interest in them, whether it was smoke-n-mirrors or legitimate interest we'll never know, I'm unaware of him personally visting VTech, Utah State, Cinncy or Appalachian state pro-days to watch the prospects that we hosted.

I'm trying not to read too much into anything as it gets closer to draft day but I find it interesting that we are that confident in our prospects that we have not maxed out the usage of interviews. Could this possibly just be a benefit of finally being a quality team at basically every position? Yes but I am still curious as to why we haven't hosted more UDFA types. Anybody else wonder the same things?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
BUMP FOR QUICK, PIERCE, JENKINS, AND FLEMING
Originally posted by Gore_21:
AJ Jenkins could be a dark horse if we are looking to wait on a WR. Whether it's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th there should be plenty to choose from.

Ballin... quoted that from page 1 on April 2nd. Thought he could go to us just figured it wouldn't be at 30. I like him though... Keep an eye out we will probably draft more guys on this list.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM ]
AJ Jenkins could be a dark horse if we are looking to wait on a WR. Whether it's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th there should be plenty to choose from.

Ballin... quoted that from page 1 on April 2nd. Thought he could go to us just figured it wouldn't be at 30. I like him though... Keep an eye out we will probably draft more guys on this list.

Nice call! *hands you cookie*

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Thanks, make it a half of a one since I thought round 2 or 3. lol

And for my draft contest with picking 20 players you think the 9ers could draft 8 out of the 16 participants had AJ Jenkins. Pretty good job guys.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Thanks, make it a half of a one since I thought round 2 or 3. lol

And for my draft contest with picking 20 players you think the 9ers could draft 8 out of the 16 participants had AJ Jenkins. Pretty good job guys.

yea double kudos man *hands you a 2nd cookie* lol. I really thought we'd take him in the 2nd if we didnt go WR in round 1 but I stubbornly picked Trumaine Johnson and my mock and went with Childs in the 4th.

I'm way pumped about this pick, like I said in the Jenkins thread were setting him up for success as there is nothing like "Reaching" for a guy and saying "we want him, were putting faith and him and taking him where we can get him". Just as they said about the RG3 trade when people said the Skins gave up too much for it.

"If he turns into the guy you think he is then it doesn't matter" Thats my opinion as well and with our coaching staff I have complete faith that Jenkins will be an all pro
yea double kudos man *hands you a 2nd cookie* lol. I really thought we'd take him in the 2nd if we didnt go WR in round 1 but I stubbornly picked Trumaine Johnson and my mock and went with Childs in the 4th.

I'm way pumped about this pick, like I said in the Jenkins thread were setting him up for success as there is nothing like "Reaching" for a guy and saying "we want him, were putting faith and him and taking him where we can get him". Just as they said about the RG3 trade when people said the Skins gave up too much for it.

"If he turns into the guy you think he is then it doesn't matter" Thats my opinion as well and with our coaching staff I have complete faith that Jenkins will be an all pro

Yeah, where someone is picked is nothing more than something for fans and experts to talk about. Of course you want good value but in the end you could take a guy in the 1st that should be a 7th rounder and if he turns out to be great does it matter? Think about the draft and how boring it would be to most if they didn't talk about oh they got great value, they reached, so and so should be picked here. Wouldn't be much to do if all the analysts talked about was the player themselves. Mocking the draft has become huge... again it's a hobby... it's fun but in the end does it is just that.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Yeah, where someone is picked is nothing more than something for fans and experts to talk about. Of course you want good value but in the end you could take a guy in the 1st that should be a 7th rounder and if he turns out to be great does it matter? Think about the draft and how boring it would be to most if they didn't talk about oh they got great value, they reached, so and so should be picked here. Wouldn't be much to do if all the analysts talked about was the player themselves. Mocking the draft has become huge... again it's a hobby... it's fun but in the end does it is just that.

yep, was it weird not seeing the green room? With the NFL trying to make the draft more interesting and outlawing the "breaking news" shots of the players on the phone 2 or 3 picks early and the talking heads "reporting" a pick before the Commish even had the chance to say it.

the draft is a reality tv show now, im amazed the NFL did outlaw the green room camera and "leaking" picks but im kind of sick of the staged debates and "oh this was a terrible pick oh it was great blah blah blah. Yes drafting a guy at 30 when he was graded as top a 90 pick is a "reach" but no one cares in the end because he was still one of top 250 college football players in the country.

We did the same thing last year, granted it was in the 3rd round and not the 1st but Cully was graded as a 6th rounder at best and we took him at 67 or whatever and he is one of the most promising young cbs and 1 of the better nickel CBs in the league already.

Value is value but I love this pick.
I was streaming and in the chat room but people watching on tv also said they were most of the time 2 picks behind live at Radio City Music Hall. They had too many log jams with all those guys there. It's cool seeing them up there and the pace was fast but at the same time things were backed up. They had teams 2 spots away with their pick in and they got the guy up on stage. Although, it was nice not having La Confora's dumb butt up there wrecking every pick.
Share 49ersWebzone