There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Draft Visit & Workout Tracker UPDATE: DRAFTED JENKINS, FLEMING, SLOWEY

  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,193
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I was streaming and in the chat room but people watching on tv also said they were most of the time 2 picks behind live at Radio City Music Hall. They had too many log jams with all those guys there. It's cool seeing them up there and the pace was fast but at the same time things were backed up. They had teams 2 spots away with their pick in and they got the guy up on stage. Although, it was nice not having La Confora's dumb butt up there wrecking every pick.

yep it made it much more enjoyable to watch this year. I think the logjams of picks happend because of teams communicating with each other and Goodell not wanting another Ravens-Bears like fiasco this year with another team "picking before" a team lower in the order.
Definitely keeping an eye on your visits list for day 2 and 3. Should be at least 1 more guy we take off there. This thread should be done every year. Last year it resulted in 2 guys and 1 udfa. Already resulted in 1 for 1 this year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,193
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Definitely keeping an eye on your visits list for day 2 and 3. Should be at least 1 more guy we take off there. This thread should be done every year. Last year it resulted in 2 guys and 1 udfa. Already resulted in 1 for 1 this year.

As long as I'm on this forum I'll do it, it helped keep me from going crazy during this semester lol. I wouldn't even be surprised if we land 2 or more, we obviously like to evaluate talent on our own scale so if the talking heads call a guy a 3rd rounder(picks 75 or later) I wont bat an eyelash if we take him at 61.
Originally posted by sfout:
As long as I'm on this forum I'll do it, it helped keep me from going crazy during this semester lol. I wouldn't even be surprised if we land 2 or more, we obviously like to evaluate talent on our own scale so if the talking heads call a guy a 3rd rounder(picks 75 or later) I wont bat an eyelash if we take him at 61.

Yeah, Baalke and Coach are definitely playing on their own terms. Baalke's much harder to predict than McCloughan. He's lives on the edge a bit more. Also, we are to that point where we are getting a system in place like Pitt, GB, NE, etc. We will take players that fit our system or that we can mold into our system even if it means they aren't the popular player or they seem to be a reach. Too many teams out there just going for any player even if they aren't a fit.
Like Seattle with Bruce Irvin or green bay with Perry. Those picks should've been reversed
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,193
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by sfout:
As long as I'm on this forum I'll do it, it helped keep me from going crazy during this semester lol. I wouldn't even be surprised if we land 2 or more, we obviously like to evaluate talent on our own scale so if the talking heads call a guy a 3rd rounder(picks 75 or later) I wont bat an eyelash if we take him at 61.

Yeah, Baalke and Coach are definitely playing on their own terms. Baalke's much harder to predict than McCloughan. He's lives on the edge a bit more. Also, we are to that point where we are getting a system in place like Pitt, GB, NE, etc. We will take players that fit our system or that we can mold into our system even if it means they aren't the popular player or they seem to be a reach. Too many teams out there just going for any player even if they aren't a fit.

someone just whined in another thread about Jenkins not contributing a lot this year and I responded with something to this tune "Isn't that the benefit of being a good team? Not needing immediate contributors."
Originally posted by sfout:
someone just whined in another thread about Jenkins not contributing a lot this year and I responded with something to this tune "Isn't that the benefit of being a good team? Not needing immediate contributors."

Yeah, I mean look at our team. Not many guys at 30 except maybe RG would be able to contribute or start. Even if we went RG at 30 no guarantee they win the spot. We are stacked at starters that we don't need someone to contribute day one. It was our choice... and not saying he won't be able to contribute right in year 1 but this draft wasn't just about filling say 1 possible hole at RG... it is about building depth and building for the future to keep our team contenders every year. Moss, Kyle Williams, Ginn are only signed for one more year. Manningham 2 and Crabtree I think 3. Good chance all the 1 year guys will be gone by next year. That leaves Crabtree, Manningham.... oh wait guess we do need a WR even if it's someone who can't start year 1. Nothing wrong with wanting to develop a guy.
So we visited with AJ Jenkins, Darius Fleming and Jason Slowey.

Guys at local pro day: (guess it helps that they are Stanford guys as well)
Stanford: S Johnson Bademosi, DE Matt Masifilo, WR Chris Owusu, S Michael Thomas

Anyone else we pick that I missed? Definitely keep an eye on this next year. We bring these guys in and make sure they love the game of football.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,193
Originally posted by Gore_21:
So we visited with AJ Jenkins, Darius Fleming and Jason Slowey.

Guys at local pro day: (guess it helps that they are Stanford guys as well)
Stanford: S Johnson Bademosi, DE Matt Masifilo, WR Chris Owusu, S Michael Thomas

Anyone else we pick that I missed? Definitely keep an eye on this next year. We bring these guys in and make sure they love the game of football.

I think thats it, look for more UDFA signings today though, we have a couple on our list that I didnt see anything about them signing with other teams.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by sfout:
As long as I'm on this forum I'll do it, it helped keep me from going crazy during this semester lol. I wouldn't even be surprised if we land 2 or more, we obviously like to evaluate talent on our own scale so if the talking heads call a guy a 3rd rounder(picks 75 or later) I wont bat an eyelash if we take him at 61.

Yeah, Baalke and Coach are definitely playing on their own terms. Baalke's much harder to predict than McCloughan. He's lives on the edge a bit more. Also, we are to that point where we are getting a system in place like Pitt, GB, NE, etc. We will take players that fit our system or that we can mold into our system even if it means they aren't the popular player or they seem to be a reach. Too many teams out there just going for any player even if they aren't a fit.

Exactly/ Pitt been doing this since the dawn of time; drafting BPA (at) the position of needs; guys who fit their systems (like Walsh). We saw that again this year with DeCastro (RG) and Alameda (NT).
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,193
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by sfout:
As long as I'm on this forum I'll do it, it helped keep me from going crazy during this semester lol. I wouldn't even be surprised if we land 2 or more, we obviously like to evaluate talent on our own scale so if the talking heads call a guy a 3rd rounder(picks 75 or later) I wont bat an eyelash if we take him at 61.

Yeah, Baalke and Coach are definitely playing on their own terms. Baalke's much harder to predict than McCloughan. He's lives on the edge a bit more. Also, we are to that point where we are getting a system in place like Pitt, GB, NE, etc. We will take players that fit our system or that we can mold into our system even if it means they aren't the popular player or they seem to be a reach. Too many teams out there just going for any player even if they aren't a fit.

Exactly/ Pitt been doing this since the dawn of time; drafting BPA (at) the position of needs; guys who fit their systems (like Walsh). We saw that again this year with DeCastro (RG) and Alameda (NT).

Its awesome as hell how we approach the draft now, side note Pitt had an amazing draft, those a**holes - getting DeCastro and Adams in 1 and 2.

My girlfriend's dad is a Pitt fan and you know how Adams failed the drug test at the combine along with Jayron Hosley? Hosley sent out a letter to every team saying IM SORRY PLEASE GIVE A CHANCE but Adams didn't, well supposedly every team had removed Adams from their board(including the steelers - they just got lucky that DeCastro fell to them) so Adams called up Pitt and requested and inperson meeting and groveled for their forgiveness to give him another chance and the steelers said they'd take him in the 2nd if no one else did. lmao - I dont know how true it is but that is the chatter on the Steelers boards.
Originally posted by sfout:
Its awesome as hell how we approach the draft now, side note Pitt had an amazing draft, those a**holes - getting DeCastro and Adams in 1 and 2.

My girlfriend's dad is a Pitt fan and you know how Adams failed the drug test at the combine along with Jayron Hosley? Hosley sent out a letter to every team saying IM SORRY PLEASE GIVE A CHANCE but Adams didn't, well supposedly every team had removed Adams from their board(including the steelers - they just got lucky that DeCastro fell to them) so Adams called up Pitt and requested and inperson meeting and groveled for their forgiveness to give him another chance and the steelers said they'd take him in the 2nd if no one else did. lmao - I dont know how true it is but that is the chatter on the Steelers boards.

Read an article on it... pretty sure that it's true.