LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 146 users in the forums

49ers 1st Round Draft Board v2.0

1. TE Coby Fleener Stanford 6'6" 247
This is farrrr from a need pick, but at #30 (unless somehow David DeCastro or Cordy Glenn slip) I think Fleener will end up being the highest rated player on the 49ers board. It's rare that a TE of his size has 4.4/4.5 speed and despite the presence of Davis and Walker, Fleener would become a tremendous weapon for Harbaugh and Roman (not to mention Walker becomes a UFA after this season). For that reason, I think he's the top ranked player on the 49ers board when they 30th selection rolls around.
NFL Comparison: Jimmy Graham

2. WR Kendall Wright Baylor 5'10" 196
I was a lot higher on Wright before questions about his weight and work-ethic started popping up (but before that I suppose he didn't stand a chance to make it to #30), but to me he is still the most explosive WR in the draft and if he's around at #30 he is very intriguing. The 49ers desperately need a player who is a home-run threat - someone who can take it the distance on any play - and I think Wright fits that mold. There's a good chance he could go to the Texans at 26, but if he's there he's certainly a good pick.
NFL Comparison: Steve Smith (Panthers)

3. OC/OG Peter Konz Wisconsin 6'5" 314
Konz is a proven, talented and extremely smart interrior lineman who is slipping a bit of late because of just ok workout numbers. A few weeks back, it would have been a surprise to see him last to #30, but now I think the 30-40 range is where he likely goes. From a pure needs basis, the interior line is where the 49ers could use the most help and Konz is the type of solid player who can plug in at RG from day 1. With Jonathan Goodwin getting up there in age, Konz would eventually transition to the 49ers OC and be the type of steady performer every team needs at the position.
NFL Comparison: Matt Birk

4. CB Janoris Jenkins N. Alabama 5'10" 193
The 49ers have shown a willingness to take chances on players will mixed reputations and I think Jenkins character problems are overblown. What he is, however, is unequivocally the 2nd best (if not best) cover CB in the draft. The Niners re-signed Carlos Rogers, but he will be 31 this year and Terrell Brown, while solid, is far from spectacular. Jenkins is the type of talent that can team with Culliver to give the 49ers a dynamic young pair at CB.
NFL Comparison: Tramon Williams

5a. WR Stephen Hill GA Tech 6'4" 215
There is no denying Hill's athletic ability, and when you watch him workout you certainly get glimpses of Randy Moss. No WR in this year's draft can match Hill's combination of size/speed/leaping ability so for a team starved for a deep threat he certainly makes sense. HOWEVER, the 49ers rarely draft based on measurables alone and there are plenty of concerns about Hill's readiness. If the 49er's brass feels like his talent is too much to overlook and they are willing to let him sit and learn for a year or two, then he could be a very very compelling pick.
NFL Comparison: Randy Moss Light

5b. WR Alshon Jeffrey S. Carolina 6'3" 213
On tape, there are times when Jeffrey looks like a top 15 pick and then there are times where he looks slow, lumbering and unable to get separation from DBs. Jeffrey may have alleviated some concerns about his athleticism with an above average Pro Day performance, and there's no doubt the 49ers have a need for a big, playmaking threat on the outside, but he may be a little too similar to Michael Crabtree: a talented possession WR who can make plays with the ball in his hands but has trouble consistently getting open. Ultimately it's up the 49ers to decide whether he is the at times dominant player on film or the guy who will struggle to separate at the next level.
NFL Comparison: Brandon Marshall / Micheal Crabtree

6. OG Kevin Zeitler Wisconsin 6'4" 314
Zeitler is big, tough mauler at OG that can start from day 1. As Konz has slipped down some draft boards it seems that Zeitler has risen. He dominated at the Senior Bowl and looks to be the type of guy you can plug in as a rookie and count on him being rock solid for 10+ years.
NFL Comparison: Logan Mankins
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
with all the FA additions, i'm almost 100% sure we go OG with our first pick.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Hey Jeff, I dont think so. I think they Love Kilgore and if you think about it other than Crabtree we dont have a WR signed for the longterm. Gotta get one
[ Edited by valrod33 on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM ]
The 49ers, under Baalke and Harbaugh, firmly believe in depth and espouse the best-player-available strategy. If the best player on their board is a WR then it will be a WR, if its a CB then it will be a CB or even if its a DL (maybe Michael Brockers) then it will be a DL.

Just because they need an OG does not in anyway, shape or form guarantee they will be picking an OG at #30 unless someone like Konz or Zeitler really is that best available player.

That's why I'm still very confident that this pick will end up being either Fleener, the best available WR, or a CB or DL.
I think guard should and will be our target in the third and fourth rounds, unless Decasto or Glenn fall to 30, other than that it's BPA
I would rank Konz above Wright in terms of BPA/need. I also think we already have a veteran version of Wright already on the roster (Manningham); doesn't mean we couldn't add another, but if I had to chart these two player's careers, I'd bet (just my opinion) Konz will play longer and more effectively than Wright will based on position, talent, intangibles, etc.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Delanie is a free agent next year so taking Fleener, (even though I don't think he's the top option), makes alot of sense.
At this point, the only GLARING need the Niners have is RG, so I agree with Ghost that Konz would rank higher than Kendall Wright on your board. Since the Niners are 5 deep at the CB spot I don't think Jenkins is a priority either. If you think Jeffery is a top candidate (WR with questionable speed), I think you should then include Sanu as well.
There is more than one round in the draft so it's not like they must address a need with their 1st rounder. I think they go BPA in the 1st and worry about needs later on. I still say they should target a safety and take Harrison Smith at 30 if he's there.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Hey Jeff, I dont think so. I think they Love Kilgore and if you think about it other than Crabtree we dont have a WR signed for the longterm. Gotta get one
This.

5a should be 1
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by valrod33:

This.

No 5-10 concussion magnets in the first round pleez!
Originally posted by lamontb:
There is more than one round in the draft so it's not like they must address a need with their 1st rounder. I think they go BPA in the 1st and worry about needs later on. I still say they should target a safety and take Harrison Smith at 30 if he's there.

True, but I just think Konz (if there at #30) is the perfect mix of value/need. Of course it would depend on who else was still on the board, but if all the major talent was gone and these 5 remained, I'd have to go with Konz. You plug him in at RG for our 2012 super bowl run, then slide him over to center for the long-term.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by lamontb:

True, but I just think Konz (if there at #30) is the perfect mix of value/need. Of course it would depend on who else was still on the board, but if all the major talent was gone and these 5 remained, I'd have to go with Konz. You plug him in at RG for our 2012 super bowl run, then slide him over to center for the long-term.

I agree if Konz is there at 30, he's the pick. Even though I still see a glaring need for WR as well.
Share 49ersWebzone