LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Keep in mind... Baalke likes workout worriors

I think that Baalke generally likes workout warriors that have high character. He also tends to like guys that are bigger than normal for their position, with the only exception being Hunter.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Baalke has taken a number of very talented athletes with impressive measurables even if the college production hasn't been there:

-Anthony Davis: Immense athletecism, but an overall questionable college career. Even got benched for several games due to performance.
-Iupati: Raw, and didn't face great competition, but again the talent was obvious
-Mays: Great numbers, terrible tape. And yes, I know this was most Singletary's pick.
-Kyle Williams: Kid ran a 4.4 at the combine. I'm sure that played a role.
-Aldon Smith: College production was there, but wasn't #8 overall worthy. The talent was top notch however
-Colin Kaepernick: Not ready to play, but amazing physical skill set. Fast, tall, and a big time arm
-Culliver: Workout warrior with avg college career

This bodes well for players like:

-Stephen Hill
-Fleener
-Poe
-Mike Adams
-Brooks
-Silatolu
-Brockers
-Mercilus

I was thinking Mercilus would be drafted strictly by a 4-3 team. Am I missing something?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Mays also ruins the point because everyone and their mother knows Singletary forced the pick on Baalke.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Aldon had fantastic measurables, and the thing Baalke consistently mentioned was his impressive wingspan. The point is he goes for talent and upside, over steady production with limited upside. That doesn't mean he won't draft a player with good tape, just that he's less risk averse. A perfect example is A. Davis being taken over Bulaga (this was one of his few bad moves as we now see). Bulaga was a great college player, and had a medium cieling, but a high floor. Davis on the other hand had a huge cieling, but also a very low floor. He went with potential. Sometimes this pays off (Aldon) and sometimes it doesn't (A. Davis). Point is that a guy like Stephen Hill fits the mold, while I don't see Zeitler as Baalke's type of 1st round pick. Simply too little upside

Aldon was a complete stud in college. He was dominant in every respect and had an extremely polished game. He wasn't even that terrible playing on a broken leg.

I'm not saying he was a bad college player, but only that Baalke likes upside and is willing to gamble for it. Smith was considered extremely raw, which does not bode as a safe pick. He also had tremendous upside due to physical skills. I'm not saying Baalke only drafts bad players with fast 40s
Originally posted by sfout:
Mays also ruins the point because everyone and their mother knows Singletary forced the pick on Baalke.

Which you could see I mentioned in my post. Also, how does that ruin a point? It only removes one data point, and doesnt contradict anything
All the people saying Anthony Davis will mature into a great player are missing the point! Baalke drafts on upside over low bust potential. He's more of a risk taker in the draft. Anthony Davis possibly maturing into a good player down the line doesn't change that point! It's irrelevant!
Dude quit hating on A.Davis. The dude is going to be a stud. If the 2010 draft were held today A.Davis would still be my pick over Buluaga. Lets not forget how good A.Rodgers can make his lineman look, much like Manning. But when seeing our past couple first rounders, I get the feeling, Baalke is not only loking at future potential but also the age factor. Both A.Davis and A.Smith were around 20 years old when drafted, 3-4 years younger than other players coming out. That could play a huge role in the niners draft board and we are overlokking it. Game tape, measurables, high ceiling, non injury prone, younger age= gold star player
Whatever he's doing - I hope he keeps doing it.
Don't agree.
I think Baalke likes guys who are raw that the Niners can mold into the type of player they want.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think Baalke likes guys who are raw that the Niners can mold into the type of player they want.

this. Baalke wants developmental players, not guys that put up monster #s.
I think you have to add Zeitler to the list of hard-working guys on this year's draft list. He's as blue-collar as they come, which won't be lost on either Baalke or Harbaugh. Ditto Peter Konz, the 2nd of two top-flight OL Wisconsin seems to kick out every draft.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by valrod33:

this. Baalke wants developmental players, not guys that put up monster #s.

I agree. I don't really see Trent as a guy who is big on workout warriors. I think he likes guys who have shown ability on tape but still have upside; as opposed to guys who are either at or near their ceiling.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:05 AM ]
McCloughan was more of a production guy. He liked guys who had big numbers and produced in college. Usually was a safer guy and wasn't big for guys with character issues. Not saying he was like Gene Smith (Jags GM) and would cross out every player with character/off field issues but it was pretty important to him. Baalke like guys who have shown tremendous upside, and have a lot of potential... some being very raw. He isn't going to weed out a guy because of a lack of production but they better show ability on tape. He isn't just going to take someone because of measurables... there has to be something on tape. He is not a workout WARRIOR guy. In fact he continuously states how the combine is backup for the tape they watch. If their numbers seem off they go back and check the tape. They don't put too much into the combine. Also, Baalke isn't afraid of players with character issues. They believe they can mold these guys and set them on the right path. Not saying they will take headcases but guys with little things here and there.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
McCloughan was more of a production guy. He liked guys who had big numbers and produced in college. Usually was a safer guy and wasn't big for guys with character issues. Not saying he was like Gene Smith (Jags GM) and would cross out every player with character/off field issues but it was pretty important to him. Baalke like guys who have shown tremendous upside, and have a lot of potential... some being very raw. He isn't going to weed out a guy because of a lack of production but they better show ability on tape. He isn't just going to take someone because of measurables... there has to be something on tape. He is not a workout WARRIOR guy. In fact he continuously states how the combine is backup for the tape they watch. If their numbers seem off they go back and check the tape. They don't put too much into the combine. Also, Baalke isn't afraid of players with character issues. They believe they can mold these guys and set them on the right path. Not saying they will take headcases but guys with little things here and there.

I 100% agree. When I said workout warriors, I should have said guys with potential even if their production wasn't there. I meant exactly what you stated
Share 49ersWebzone