There are 230 users in the forums

Keep in mind... Baalke likes workout worriors

Baalke has taken a number of very talented athletes with impressive measurables even if the college production hasn't been there:

-Anthony Davis: Immense athletecism, but an overall questionable college career. Even got benched for several games due to performance.
-Iupati: Raw, and didn't face great competition, but again the talent was obvious
-Mays: Great numbers, terrible tape. And yes, I know this was most Singletary's pick.
-Kyle Williams: Kid ran a 4.4 at the combine. I'm sure that played a role.
-Aldon Smith: College production was there, but wasn't #8 overall worthy. The talent was top notch however
-Colin Kaepernick: Not ready to play, but amazing physical skill set. Fast, tall, and a big time arm
-Culliver: Workout warrior with avg college career

This bodes well for players like:

-Stephen Hill
-Fleener
-Poe
-Mike Adams
-Brooks
-Silatolu
-Brockers
-Mercilus
Aldon Smith wasn't really a workout warrior. In fact he had a mediocre combine.
Yeah, I think that's B.S., Baalke has repeatedly said that he reveiws the film, and goes back to the film, and goes back to the film. Mays was Singletary's choice, even though Baalke is in charge, and has to take credit for it. And all these players drafted had good-great game tape. I think being a workout warrior is a bonus and it usually comes with being bigger and stronger, that is Baalke's true philosophy. Bigger and stronger guys, with few exceptions like Hunter last year.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Aldon basically ruins your point. He broke J.Smith's sack record at mizzou, he had college production in his short amount of time actually playing. He didn't have a great workout. His tape is what set him apart.

The only reason he's really considered a reach is because all of us don't watch tape. He was mocked at Texans at #11 so people just assumed he wasn't top 10 worthy. People really wanted Robert Quinn lol...
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Aldon Smith wasn't really a workout warrior. In fact he had a mediocre combine.

He ran 4.75 or something at 6'4 263lbs...that's not mediocre dude. That's pretty impressive. Also had an almost 10' broad jump. But, IMO - he had the college career to warrant a top 10-15 selection. Had it not been for an injury in 2010, he'd be considered top rusher along with Von Miller from the start.
Aldon has a great first step, I bet Aldon had one of the best times in the shorter distances but not the shuttle, but he's lightning quick. Also Aldon Smith has like a 6 11 wingspan, he has superlong arms that he uses to use advantage with leverage. Plus the guy is country strong like Justin Smith, they make them strong at Missouri. So you can say he does have combine measureables.

I think first and foremost Baalke and company look for guys that can play and they can see that on tape. If the guy can play and he's got measureables Baalke isn't afraid to draft him like Culliver or Bruce Miller, these guys fit the mold. Because they have great coaches.

I think this draft is going to be very interesting. There is a lot of depth in this draft. It's made for Baalke.

I think they could draft anyone of the guys below, but it will be interesting if they try to get a Harbaugh player. They "tried" last year, but it seems like Fleener is a match made in heaven, I just don't think he will last to the Niners, but I hope he does.

-Stephen Hill
-Fleener
-Poe
-Mike Adams
-Brooks
-Silatolu
-Brockers
-Mercilus
Taylor Mays wasn't really his pick. That was Singletary.
Originally posted by PTulini:

I acknowledged that in my post
Originally posted by mike:
Aldon basically ruins your point. He broke J.Smith's sack record at mizzou, he had college production in his short amount of time actually playing. He didn't have a great workout. His tape is what set him apart.

The only reason he's really considered a reach is because all of us don't watch tape. He was mocked at Texans at #11 so people just assumed he wasn't top 10 worthy. People really wanted Robert Quinn lol...

Aldon had fantastic measurables, and the thing Baalke consistently mentioned was his impressive wingspan. The point is he goes for talent and upside, over steady production with limited upside. That doesn't mean he won't draft a player with good tape, just that he's less risk averse. A perfect example is A. Davis being taken over Bulaga (this was one of his few bad moves as we now see). Bulaga was a great college player, and had a medium cieling, but a high floor. Davis on the other hand had a huge cieling, but also a very low floor. He went with potential. Sometimes this pays off (Aldon) and sometimes it doesn't (A. Davis). Point is that a guy like Stephen Hill fits the mold, while I don't see Zeitler as Baalke's type of 1st round pick. Simply too little upside
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by PTulini:

I acknowledged that in my post

Oh, I'm sorry. I must not have noticed that.

Aldon had fantastic measurables, and the thing Baalke consistently mentioned was his impressive wingspan. The point is he goes for talent and upside, over steady production with limited upside. That doesn't mean he won't draft a player with good tape, just that he's less risk averse. A perfect example is A. Davis being taken over Bulaga (this was one of his few bad moves as we now see). Bulaga was a great college player, and had a medium cieling, but a high floor. Davis on the other hand had a huge cieling, but also a very low floor. He went with potential. Sometimes this pays off (Aldon) and sometimes it doesn't (A. Davis). Point is that a guy like Stephen Hill fits the mold, while I don't see Zeitler as Baalke's type of 1st round pick. Simply too little upside

Aldon was a complete stud in college. He was dominant in every respect and had an extremely polished game. He wasn't even that terrible playing on a broken leg.

Let's wait and see how Anthony Davis does with someone not named Snyder or Rachal next to him. He is still very young.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:

Let's wait and see how Anthony Davis does with someone not named Snyder or Rachal next to him. He is still very young.

He was drafted cause of his upsides. He got an attitude last year which I think gave him confidence and got better.
a workout warrior is a guy like vernon gholston
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Anthony Davis was playing at a very high level towards the end of the year. Davis will be a very fine player for us for the next decade.
Share 49ersWebzone