There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anthony Dixon's Draft Replacement

We don't need to rehash what Dixon did, actually did NOT do, in the NFC Championship game. I had high hopes for Anthony when he was drafted, but we must come to the realization that he is not the long term answer to be Hunters other half. We need a big back who can move piles, but also have burst to rip off long runs. I would really love Doug Martin, but I think the 9ers draft Fleener, WR or RG with the first two picks. So who's available late 3rd on? How about a 6'0" 240 lb back named Terrance Gunaway.

Strengths: Thickly-put-together throughout his frame and runs with power, showing the leg drive to push the pile. Runs balanced and close to the ground with the natural strength to stay on his feet through contact as defenders slip off of him ? load to tackle and easily runs through arm tackles. Has good vision to find the hole and get north/south. Gets good initial push and always seems to be falling forward for a positive gain. A hard runner with a workhorse-type back mentality. Does a nice job picking up the blitz and using his frame to impede rushers. Earned the starting running back job as a senior and made the most of his opportunity, leading the Big 12 in rushing and finishing third in the NCAA with 21 rush scores ? finished the season with six 100+ yard and three 200+ yard performances. Has good bloodlines as the nephew of former NFL defensive lineman Jeremiah Trotter.

Weaknesses: Poor acceleration and takes too long to get up to full speed ? a slow starter with little burst to his game. Too hesitant when the hole isn?t there and wastes time running laterally. Tight-hipped and doesn?t show much wiggle or open-field shiftiness. Stops his feet too quickly and needs to consistently keep his legs moving through contact. Not overly physical for his size and won?t run over defenders ? doesn?t break enough tackles. Will run with inconsistent pad level at times and struggle to get through the line of scrimmage at the next level. Needs to watch his weight and stay conditioned. Has limited experience catching the ball out of the backfield and needs to improve his technique in pass protection.

NFL Comparison: Isaac Redman, Pittsburgh Steelers

03/22/2012 - Baylor Pro Day: Not to be lost in the day's events was the impressive performance by running back Terrance Ganaway, who ran his 40-yard dash times in the low 4.5's after running a 4.65 at the Combine. He also lifted 225-pounds 22 times on the bench and looked smooth catching the ball. After entering the season as an undrafted free agent prospect, Ganaway could be a top-125 draft pick next month. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

==============================================================

I believe Rathman can mold this young man into a solid power back to complement Hunter. There is no doubt he benefitted from having RG3 on his team, but I believe he is a solid back on his own, plus he's being projected as a 4th or 5th rounder. What Anthony Dixon draft picks are you guys looking at??
Sounds like a Harbaugh kind of guy....

4.67 is kinda slow for a back. Maybe if you get this guy like in the 6th round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272825/robert-turbin I'd rather have Turbin.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
4.67 is kinda slow for a back. Maybe if you get this guy like in the 6th round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272825/robert-turbin I'd rather have Turbin.

Love Turbin too! I don't think there's any doubt we pick up some power back late in the draft to push Dixon.
I like Ganaway. In fact, in my earlier mocks I had us taking him. But I've since come to favor Turbin over Ganaway. Turbin is a little smaller but still a better runner and faster than Ganaway. But if we miss on Turbin Ganaway will be available for us in the 4th or 5th and we should take him.We have got to get a RB who seek to punish the tackler.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I like Ganaway. In fact, in my earlier mocks I had us taking him. But I've since come to favor Turbin over Ganaway. Turbin is a little smaller but still a better runner and faster than Ganaway. But if we miss on Turbin Ganaway will be available for us in the 4th or 5th and we should take him.We have got to get a RB who seek to punish the tackler.

I'll say it again...Ganaway reminds me of Glen Coffee.
I think we need a back that can flat out run like Miller, Hillman, Rainey, or even Wilson who writers are comparing to Roger Craig
i'd be happy with Miller, Wilson, Turbin or Martin.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

I'll say it again...Ganaway reminds me of Glen Coffee.

Jesus I hope not...

Not that he's really setting the league on fire, but the year they drafted Coffee, the Jets traded up to grab Sean Green right ahead of us. Green would have been a perfect fit for us. To hate on Glen Coffee even more, remember we had LeGarrett Blount initially. I think he saw our roster with Gore, Coffee and recently drafted Dixon, and went to TB for a better shot at starting. I think if Coffee "retired" before the draft instead of after, we would have had Blount backing up Gore.

COOOFFFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Jesus I hope not...

Not that he's really setting the league on fire, but the year they drafted Coffee, the Jets traded up to grab Sean Green right ahead of us. Green would have been a perfect fit for us. To hate on Glen Coffee even more, remember we had LeGarrett Blount initially. I think he saw our roster with Gore, Coffee and recently drafted Dixon, and went to TB for a better shot at starting. I think if Coffee "retired" before the draft instead of after, we would have had Blount backing up Gore.

COOOFFFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Yeah, the way things shook out with Greene, Coffee, and Blount still pisses me off. All the more reason, though, not to reach for a RB...
Here are some other RB prospects that will work in the 3rd or 4th round:

Ronnie Hillman San Diego St. 5'9" 200lbs
Bernard Pierce Temple 6'0" 218lbs
Cyrus Gray Texas A&M 5'10" 206lbs
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Here are some other RB prospects that will work in the 3rd or 4th round:

Ronnie Hillman San Diego St. 5'9" 200lbs
Bernard Pierce Temple 6'0" 218lbs
Cyrus Gray Texas A&M 5'10" 206lbs

Im a big Gray fan. He took over in 2010 for Christine Michael who was a blue chipper and 2009 Big 12's Offensive Freshman of the Year. Gray took that job and never gave it back. Hes a leader on the team and also ran in Mike Sherman's Pro Offense. I just wish he was a little heavier since he's only about 10lbs more than Hunter.
  • mike
  • Veteran
There was nothing wrong with coffee other than the fact that he retired. He was a promising player. He had just gained like 10-15 pounds of muscle that offseason and I thought he was going to really impact.

Also keep in mind it was after a full season that coffee retired. He didn't do it right after the draft. There simply is no way to tell if a guy is going to have some religious "calling" a year after he's drafted.

I think we do go for a 6th/7th to replace him though. Since dixon is a late rounder himself and we've already invested a 3rd in hunter.
Coffee was a bit slow to hit the hole, and went down more easily than he should have. He might have been a Gore clone, but their hearts were in much different places.
Tauren Poole, Tenn, 5'10 205lbs, 4.54 40 time.

He will be around in the later rounds, and I think he is a hidden gem.