There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

An early look at the 49ers Draft Board/First Round Strategy

There are three potential trade down possibilities in the second round. Cleveland, Miami and Buffalo all have multiple picks in either the 3rd or 4th round and they all have needs for WR's. The Niners should be able to trade back to the #42 pick at worst and get at least one additional pick from these three trading partners.

Philly appears to be the only NFC team that would be a logical choice as a trading partner.
To me, that's a great scenario. Some team is after a WR when our turn comes and is willing to trade their #1 next year or their #2 this year and another pick or two. I think there's value to be had later on, which could add some depth this year and maybe some starters in the future.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
We can deal with Soaps replacement next year. Absolutely no need to move up in the 1st round to select a DT.

So you'd rather start a rookie in 2013 instead of letting him sit for a year?

Yes. You usually don't trade up in the 1st round to draft somebody to sit for one year (unless it's a QB).

Plus, this all on the assumption that RJF and Soap are not re-signed.
Isnt the biggest hole on our offense at RG?

Why isnt anyone talking about filling it first and foremost?

Unless of course Im missing something here- which is very possible
Originally posted by 4t9ers:
Isnt the biggest hole on our offense at RG?

Why isnt anyone talking about filling it first and foremost?

Unless of course Im missing something here- which is very possible

It is the biggest hole, but that doesn't mean its priority #1.
I think if we traded up for Trent Richardson, no matter who else we drafted we would probably get the Superbowl. The Jim Brown type gains would be enough to win most games and cover what few weaknesses we have. I like Lamar's running better but Richardson's type of running keeps games in hand. I believe the brutish type of
mano y mano poundingTrent would bring is the type of football Harbaugh likes although he would use Richardson's skills to augment the other parts of the offense unlike our previous coaches. In other words the offense should be awesome and impossible to shut down. We can fill the team lacks next year and still have a top offense for many years. In fact, I would prefer that to 20 Peyton Mannings.
We can deal with Soaps replacement next year. Absolutely no need to move up in the 1st round to select a DT.

So you'd rather start a rookie in 2013 instead of letting him sit for a year?

Yes. You usually don't trade up in the 1st round to draft somebody to sit for one year (unless it's a QB).

Plus, this all on the assumption that RJF and Soap are not re-signed.

We need depth on Dline this year. I'm not particular about which round,
where do folks get this magical idea that teams just trade back b/c they just feel like it.
While interesting, trade talk when you are sitting at #30 is rather academic. In any year there has been multiple trades by the time 30 rolls around that make talk about specific players almost irrelevant. Still, the interesting thing to me is what will the 49ers do about RB? As appealing as he is, there is no way Richardson falls out of the top 10-12, and at that level, it would cost far to much to move up to take him. I see them going RB just about any place in the draft depending on how the movement has fallen to that point. As much as I like receivers like Fleener and Hill along with a couple of the RG possibilities, if the BPA at #30 is a RB, I would not be surprised to see them go there. They have already shown interest in David Wilson who many see as an early second round pick. A small reach there to get Wilson would make sense. Frank Gore is well past his expiry date and should not be counted on for the kind of duty he has provided in the past.
Originally posted by lamontb:
where do folks get this magical idea that teams just trade back b/c they just feel like it.

++

What I am talking about is the 49ers desire to trade out of the spot if an offer comes and all their players are gone.
Originally posted by dj43:
While interesting, trade talk when you are sitting at #30 is rather academic. In any year there has been multiple trades by the time 30 rolls around that make talk about specific players almost irrelevant. Still, the interesting thing to me is what will the 49ers do about RB? As appealing as he is, there is no way Richardson falls out of the top 10-12, and at that level, it would cost far to much to move up to take him. I see them going RB just about any place in the draft depending on how the movement has fallen to that point. As much as I like receivers like Fleener and Hill along with a couple of the RG possibilities, if the BPA at #30 is a RB, I would not be surprised to see them go there. They have already shown interest in David Wilson who many see as an early second round pick. A small reach there to get Wilson would make sense. Frank Gore is well past his expiry date and should not be counted on for the kind of duty he has provided in the past.

1. I discussed groups of players that they're probably targeting.

2. Richardson slipping is not that far-fetched. http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/2/23/2819811/2012-nfl-draft-trent-richardson-injury-news-49ers

3. I don't think Wilson has a first round grade, and would be a reach at #30.

4. We seem to agree that running back is important

1. I discussed groups of players that they're probably targeting.

2. Richardson slipping is not that far-fetched. http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/2/23/2819811/2012-nfl-draft-trent-richardson-injury-news-49ers

3. I don't think Wilson has a first round grade, and would be a reach at #30.

4. We seem to agree that running back is important

Agree Wilson would be a reach at #30. The question is; how much of a reach? 5 spots? 8? Depends on how the 49ers view him and how they see Gore. Also, if they can't work a trade back to 35-38, would they still pick him at 30?

As much as we might agree on RB, I really don't see them using a pick on a RB before they address the interior OL and WR issues.
I see no way of getting Richardson without giving up next years frist round pick also. I believe he'll be drafted #4 to Cleveland. Although I love Richardson I think I would prefer Fleener and a good guard or Doug Martin over Richardson.
Based on team needs and the types of players the 49ers prefer, I believe we're starting to see the 49ers first round draft board take shape.

To begin, I think there are a few players that the 49ers would trade up for if they were available in the 15 - 20 area:

- Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama - Its clear we're scouting for the Feature RB of the Future, and if a Running Back like Richardson slipped into that range (Running Backs are notorious for slipping in the draft), we would pull the trigger.
- Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis - On the Defensive line, we have a lack of depth and Soap and RJF are free agents after 2012 -- moving up to snag Poe would make a lot of sense
- Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State - Same here; move up to get Soap's replacement
Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame - we would have to carry 6 WRs, but I think that the team is willing to do that in order to get Floyd.
- David DeCastro, G, Stanford - Yeah, If David DeCastro fell to, say, Chicago at #19, the team would strongly consider making a move...although I'm a bit skeptical about their willingness to move up that far
- Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - May sound unusual, but I don't think the 49ers are entirely opposed to moving Anthony Davis to Guard (he's a former guard anyway).

If any of the above players fell to the 15-20 range, the Niners would consider trading up.

The following players are those that the 49ers would take at #30:

- Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford - Harbaugh basically runs his offense with two starting tight ends, so we draft another starting tight end...Walker is not starting caliber
- Peter Konz, C/G, Wisconsin - Can compete to start at guard as a rookie, and will be the starting center of the future
- Mark Barron, SS, Alabama - Goldson is on a 1-year contract, Whitner is signed through 2013...there is nobody else there
- Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia - Unlikely to be there, but would start at RG on day 1.
- Dre Kirpatrick, CB, Alabama - This makes more sense than people think. More and more scouts are saying that Kirkpatrick could be an elite free safety with his size and range, and Chris Culliver was a Free Safety in College. So drafting Dre Kirkpatrick would give the 49ers two DBs that can play CB and FS at a high level. Makes more sense the more that I think about it.

If all these players are gone, we try and trade out of the first round. In the mid-second, I think the 49ers would target:
- Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
- Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
- Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
- Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
- Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State
- Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
- Lamar Miller, RB, Miami

Thoughts?

Great post!

I agree about the idea that one to four players in the top 15 could be targeted if they drop a bit. To me those would be in this order:
DeCastro--One of the best OLs, top 15 pick. OG who played for Harbaugh and is a natural RG. IMO, he would be one of the few 1st rounders for us who could come right in and start. Now is he worth that extra second, I say yes given just how much of a "fit" at need he truly is.
Poe--I know I know...we don't need an NT, yet he's too much of a talent not to consider if he drops to 20, let's say. Because Ice is a UFA next year, we need to bolster the talent at NT, and I. Williams is not the future, IMO. With Tomusla, Poe could be the best NT, better than Raji!
Glenn--Another OL who's best position is playing inside at OG, but can play OT as well. Verisatile, just like Harbaugh likes 'em. Can compete immediately for the ROG position and he won't be as expensive to jump for. IMO, we would have to jump in front of Cincy to do it though.
Floyd--The only WR to jump for if he drops to a certain point. He's from ND and Jed loves those guys. I still think though that WR can be had later and may not be of great value trading up for him.

Other than those four, I see us staying at #30 and landing a very good player who will contribute immediately. I see these positions being targets @ #30:
WR
TE
OG
C
RB
DT
CB

Wow! BPA!!!!
Agree Wilson would be a reach at #30. The question is; how much of a reach? 5 spots? 8? Depends on how the 49ers view him and how they see Gore. Also, if they can't work a trade back to 35-38, would they still pick him at 30?

As much as we might agree on RB, I really don't see them using a pick on a RB before they address the interior OL and WR issues.

I don't think WR needs to be addressed at all, to be honest. We're 5-deep there, and a rookie won't play in 2012.