LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

An early look at the 49ers Draft Board/First Round Strategy

Based on team needs and the types of players the 49ers prefer, I believe we're starting to see the 49ers first round draft board take shape.

To begin, I think there are a few players that the 49ers would trade up for if they were available in the 15 - 20 area:

- Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama - Its clear we're scouting for the Feature RB of the Future, and if a Running Back like Richardson slipped into that range (Running Backs are notorious for slipping in the draft), we would pull the trigger.
- Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis - On the Defensive line, we have a lack of depth and Soap and RJF are free agents after 2012 -- moving up to snag Poe would make a lot of sense
- Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State - Same here; move up to get Soap's replacement
Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame - we would have to carry 6 WRs, but I think that the team is willing to do that in order to get Floyd.
- David DeCastro, G, Stanford - Yeah, If David DeCastro fell to, say, Chicago at #19, the team would strongly consider making a move...although I'm a bit skeptical about their willingness to move up that far
- Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - May sound unusual, but I don't think the 49ers are entirely opposed to moving Anthony Davis to Guard (he's a former guard anyway).

If any of the above players fell to the 15-20 range, the Niners would consider trading up.

The following players are those that the 49ers would take at #30:

- Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford - Harbaugh basically runs his offense with two starting tight ends, so we draft another starting tight end...Walker is not starting caliber
- Peter Konz, C/G, Wisconsin - Can compete to start at guard as a rookie, and will be the starting center of the future
- Mark Barron, SS, Alabama - Goldson is on a 1-year contract, Whitner is signed through 2013...there is nobody else there
- Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia - Unlikely to be there, but would start at RG on day 1.
- Dre Kirpatrick, CB, Alabama - This makes more sense than people think. More and more scouts are saying that Kirkpatrick could be an elite free safety with his size and range, and Chris Culliver was a Free Safety in College. So drafting Dre Kirkpatrick would give the 49ers two DBs that can play CB and FS at a high level. Makes more sense the more that I think about it.

If all these players are gone, we try and trade out of the first round. In the mid-second, I think the 49ers would target:
- Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
- Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
- Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
- Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
- Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State
- Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
- Lamar Miller, RB, Miami

Thoughts?
We can deal with Soaps replacement next year. Absolutely no need to move up in the 1st round to select a DT.
Nick, like you apparently do I think the Niners are a guard and TE (and perhaps RB) away from having the offensive squad they want for next year, while the defense is pretty set. For the most part I think they build depth and target down-the-road replacements for some of the players they have now.

Rather than trade out of the first round for additional picks in this year's draft, I think there's a very good chance they trade away the pick for a future first-rounder if some team is in love with an available player they're afraid the Pats or Giants will select ahead of them.

If Fleener is there, however, I think it's very hard for Harbaugh to resist the temptation to select him. I think he still actively regrets not taking Doug Baldwin last year when he had an opportunity, and that will stick in his craw for some time.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Mar 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM ]
How does Stephen Hill, Mohammed Sanu fit into this strategy.

BTW, I would LOVE it if the 49ers were able to move up to get Richardson; but is he worth our 1st and 2nd round?
If they had a choice between DeCastro and Richardson by trading up, I wonder which they'd go for.
You nailed it nick, I think we'll trade back if all the "blue chip" talents gone.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
We can deal with Soaps replacement next year. Absolutely no need to move up in the 1st round to select a DT.

So you'd rather start a rookie in 2013 instead of letting him sit for a year?
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Nick, like you apparently do I think the Niners are a guard and TE (and perhaps RB) away from having the offensive squad they want for next year, while the defense is pretty set. For the most part I think they build depth and target down-the-road replacements for some of the players they have now.

Rather than trade out of the first round for additional picks in this year's draft, I think there's a very good chance they trade away the pick for a future first-rounder if some team is in love with an available player they're afraid the Pats or Giants will select ahead of them.

If Fleener is there, however, I think it's very hard for Harbaugh to resist the temptation to select him. I think he still actively regrets not taking Doug Baldwin last year when he had an opportunity, and that will stick in his craw for some time.

I agree that there is no way we pass on Fleener at #30. However, I think he's going to move up the draft boards rather quickly and could even go to Seattle at #12
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

BTW, I would LOVE it if the 49ers were able to move up to get Richardson; but is he worth our 1st and 2nd round?

They don't fit. Floyd would be 'too good to pass up' and they'd make room for him on the roster and carry 6 WRs. I don't think they'd do that for the others.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

Yes, Richardson is worth giving up a second round pick

Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
If they had a choice between DeCastro and Richardson by trading up, I wonder which they'd go for.

Richardson, in a heartbeat.
Good posst.

If Fleener is there - it's a done deal. Two guys I'd hate to go to Seattle or Cards are DeCastro & Fleener.

Very goood possibility he'll be gone. Trading back can be an excellent option, dpending who is there.

Personally, I really like Zeitler & Worthy.

I'd love to be in the room with Baalke/JH & the scouting team.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
You nailed it nick, I think we'll trade back if all the "blue chip" talents gone.

first tier of talent is 6-deep
second tier - a dozen or so
third tier - another dozen
fourth tier - 25 or so players

We'll trade up for one of our second-tier guys, stay put at #30 for one of our third-tier guys, and trade back if all of them are gone at #30. A 4th-tier person would be somebody like Zietler, Sanu, etc.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good posst.

If Fleener is there - it's a done deal. Two guys I'd hate to go to Seattle or Cards are DeCastro & Fleener.

Very goood possibility he'll be gone. Trading back can be an excellent option, dpending who is there.

Personally, I really like Zeitler & Worthy.

I'd love to be in the room with Baalke/JH & the scouting team.

What do you think of the idea of trading out 1st, 3rd, & 4th to Philly for their two #2s? We'd then have picks at 45, 49, and 62 in the second round.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
What do you think of the idea of trading out 1st, 3rd, & 4th to Philly for their two #2s? We'd then have picks at 45, 49, and 62 in the second round.

I'd rather trade our pick at 30 for Buffalo's #1 next year.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Mar 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone