There are 365 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 253 Board- March 23rd Edition

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
What do you think it would take to jump and get Konz? Do you feel that the difference between Konz and Zeitler is larger than the quality of player we can get in say Rd. 3? If so, I think we can trade up a few spots with a 3rd round pick.

I like the thought of Konz if he falls a bit and we don't have to give up too much for him. If he can put on 10 lbs he'd be a fixture at RG until Goodwin is done, and then slide over to center, where he could be an incumbent for 10 years.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I don't think he meant anything personal, just stating that he would hate the selections. Once again, if in this situation, I think Harbaugh would love to fill that RG need with a tough kid who plays smart. The braintrust wold have to determine if they thought this was a reach or if another player was higher on their board

thats what I meant, I like Kevin only maybe in a trade back senario somewhere in the first half of the 2nd round. But if we stay at 30 someone really good will drop, might not be a guard or Konz. But Im just hoping for a better senario especially out of the 1st pick and the wr position. Other then that its not bad.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont know jack about college players, but you sure seem to have a lot of WRs going before 30, which seems odd only because the WRs didn't seem that impressive from a combine standpoint. None of them seem to have superior measurables (speed or size). So is your big board a result of talent or a general feeling that the league is starving for WRs? Do you think it's been influenced by all the Webzone talk about how we need a WR?

Thinking back the last few years, guys like Jackson, Crabtree and Bryant fell much further than expected and I dont remember there being a big run on wrs, ever. Anyway, just curious.

The league is pass heavy and teams are looking for guys who can move the chains. Unfortunately RB's and FB's are the big losers

Or fortunately, if you're a power run team like the Niners....
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
true i do remember that, Im just a fan of taking BPA in the first since we know we're set other then guard. If Kevin's the BPA then yeah, I just doubt thats the case.

I agree with the BPA ideal, as well. Not sure why the team appears to be throwing Kilgore in without much competition (outside a few stiffies).
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
What do you think it would take to jump and get Konz? Do you feel that the difference between Konz and Zeitler is larger than the quality of player we can get in say Rd. 3? If so, I think we can trade up a few spots with a 3rd round pick.

Probably would take a 3rd or 4th rounder. Just really matters when the team projects him to be gone, and if they are willing to move up and make that trade. I think Konz is really, really good. I have graded as a top ten talent in this draft.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Probably would take a 3rd or 4th rounder. Just really matters when the team projects him to be gone, and if they are willing to move up and make that trade. I think Konz is really, really good. I have graded as a top ten talent in this draft.

Wouldnot mind trading up for Konz. 49ers have alot of options with this draft.
  • dj43
MD. Always enjoy your board and comments. While I am not as confident of the current group of WRs as you are, I agree with your assessment of the need at RG AND center. Everyone talks about the 49ers needing to run more slants and quick throws over the middle but too much of the time last season I watched Snyder and Goodwin get pushed back into Alex' face immediately after the ball was snapped. If the passing game is going to improve this next season, it will take more than Moss and Manningham to do it. It will take a solid RG and a center that can hold the front of the pocket. Hence Zeitler or a move up for Konz would not surprise me at all.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
MD - I keep going back to you not drafting WR until 6th round. Are you anticipating a big contribution from Moss this year?

Moss, not really. I think he ends up pretty frustrated playing for the team, so I was not excited about the move. Would probably feel differently if he was picked up by the Chargers. This is a square peg round hole relationship, in my opinion.

The Niners are pretty much set at WR this year, so I simply think the team waits until the latter portion of the draft. I know a lot of fans are down on Williams, but I think the organization likes him, and sees him as having a roster spot in 2012. So, that means the team already has five WR's.

Don't like this situation, we have no clear cut #1 and a bunch of low end guys. If we wait to draft a WR after the 3rd I will be agitated.
I agree with the BPA ideal, as well. Not sure why the team appears to be throwing Kilgore in without much competition (outside a few stiffies).

I don't think there's any way the 49ers go into training camp without drafting another interior lineman.

or a running back and a safety, for that matter.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Mar 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
im thinking chandler jones from syracuse---he is about 270 but said to have the frame to add 20 lbs and be a 3-4 def end with some pass rush skills

Jones was 266 at the combine, so he would have to add about 25 pounds to his frame. That is a pretty big number for a guy drafted within the top 75 picks, and somewhat risky for the value. To me, he is a 43 DE who plays at about 275-80 when he matures

so if baalke is bound and determined to draft a defensive end to help justin smith and ray mcdonald get some rest, who do they look at?

im thinking chandler jones from syracuse---he is about 270 but said to have the frame to add 20 lbs and be a 3-4 def end with some pass rush skills

Jones was 266 at the combine, so he would have to add about 25 pounds to his frame. That is a pretty big number for a guy drafted within the top 75 picks, and somewhat risky for the value. To me, he is a 43 DE who plays at about 275-80 when he matures

so if baalke is bound and determined to draft a defensive end to help justin smith and ray mcdonald get some rest, who do they look at?

Akiem Hicks!
Originally posted by jreff22:
MD - I keep going back to you not drafting WR until 6th round. Are you anticipating a big contribution from Moss this year?

Moss, not really. I think he ends up pretty frustrated playing for the team, so I was not excited about the move. Would probably feel differently if he was picked up by the Chargers. This is a square peg round hole relationship, in my opinion.

The Niners are pretty much set at WR this year, so I simply think the team waits until the latter portion of the draft. I know a lot of fans are down on Williams, but I think the organization likes him, and sees him as having a roster spot in 2012. So, that means the team already has five WR's.

Don't like this situation, we have no clear cut #1 and a bunch of low end guys. If we wait to draft a WR after the 3rd I will be agitated.

My concern as well. At this point if we discount Moss as MD suggests, I'm not a big fan of Manningham (he won't require double coverage), looks like WR is weaker than last year.
My concern as well. At this point if we discount Moss as MD suggests, I'm not a big fan of Manningham (he won't require double coverage), looks like WR is weaker than last year.

Weaker?

I make Manningham an upgrade on Morgan, and even if Moss disappoints he can't be described as a downgrade on Edwards!

And with the draft and the cut downs to come, no concerns here.
Originally posted by English:

Weaker?

I make Manningham an upgrade on Morgan, and even if Moss disappoints he can't be described as a downgrade on Edwards!

I'll give you the Moss over Edwards, but I'd rather have Morgan back. Don't like Manningham at all.

Weaker?

[ Edited by ishkabibel on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Weaker?

Weaker than last year? We had Swaine active and another reciever I donot care to remember. Crabtree, Ginn, Williams were the three that had most playing time. Williams showed promise but Ginn is a better returner. Manningham had a down year last year but came up with big plays in the Championship and Superbowl so he already is an upgrade. If Alex doesnot learn to trust his recievers he will be benched and this new group will be more productive either with Alex or not.
Share 49ersWebzone