There are 187 users in the forums

TE prospects (NOT INCLUDING FLEENER)

Im not a fan of us picking up a TE in the first 2 rounds when we already have a top 5 TE in vernon davis. That said, i dont see any reason we shouldnt pick one up in a later round. What are the best prospects at the position that grade out as 3rd to 7th round prospects?
In no particular order
2nd - 4th
James Hanna, Oklahoma - blazing speed (for a TE)
Michael Egnew, Missouri - my favourite after Fleener. Great size, great hands, great recieving TE
Laderius Green, Lousiana - Lafayette - basically played WR in college, but very fast and very tall. And very skinny.
Orson Charles, Georgia - a little short for a TE, but great physical prospect
Dwayne Allen, Clemson - productive college TE (I think he won the award for top TE), but dissapointing work outs

5th - 7th/ undrafted
Nick Provo, Syracuse
Rhett Ellison, USC
David Paulson, Oregon
^There are others, but those are the ones that come to my mind rigth away

IMO, not a very strong TE class.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM ]
James Hanna looks good, not sure why you said he is short, he is 6'4". VD is 6'3". Anyone a Louisville fan? Josh Chichester is 6"8",
would be a match-up nightmare i imagine. Havent seen any tape though and not alot of commentary on him.
Originally posted by mjo116:
James Hanna looks good, not sure why you said he is short, he is 6'4". VD is 6'3". Anyone a Louisville fan? Josh Chichester is 6"8",
would be a match-up nightmare i imagine. Havent seen any tape though and not alot of commentary on him.

Got him mixed up with Orson who is 6'2. 6'4 is okay for a TE.

VD is a short TE.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Got him mixed up with Orson who is 6'2. 6'4 is okay for a TE.

VD is a short TE.

ahh i see. But the point remains that just because a TE isnt a tower, he can still be quite effective.
Although like i said id like to maybe roll the dice on the TE out of Louisville. 6'8"!!!!
ahh i see. But the point remains that just because a TE isnt a tower, he can still be quite effective.
Although like i said id like to maybe roll the dice on the TE out of Louisville. 6'8"!!!!

Yeah I'm not saying a TE can't succeed, but ideal TE height is 6'4-6'6 IMO.

I know of the Louisville kid, he might be 7th rounder but I think he will be a free agent
Yeah I'm not saying a TE can't succeed, but ideal TE height is 6'4-6'6 IMO.

I know of the Louisville kid, he might be 7th rounder but I think he will be a free agent

even better, saves us a draft pick. Hope to hear more about him in the coming weeks.
George Bryan of NC State in Round 5 or 6 He's a very good blocker, not the fastest guy but has good physical size and his hands are like f**king glue. Put the ball within his vicinity, he'll catch it. The only major downside is that this guy would probably run about a 5 second 40 on a good day, but blocking-wise and holding on to the ball when it comes to him, he's a beast. He's the type of tight-end that sits down somewhere in the zone, if you put the ball anywhere near him, he'll catch it, whether he has to leap for it or outmuscle a defender to it, he chases after the football the same way Rosie O'Donnell would chase a Twinkie.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 22, 2012 at 7:25 PM ]
In no particular order
2nd - 4th
James Hanna, Oklahoma - blazing speed (for a TE)
Michael Egnew, Missouri - my favourite after Fleener. Great size, great hands, great recieving TE
Laderius Green, Lousiana - Lafayette - basically played WR in college, but very fast and very tall. And very skinny.
Orson Charles, Georgia - a little short for a TE, but great physical prospect
Dwayne Allen, Clemson - productive college TE (I think he won the award for top TE), but dissapointing work outs

5th - 7th/ undrafted
Nick Provo, Syracuse
Rhett Ellison, USC
David Paulson, Oregon
^There are others, but those are the ones that come to my mind rigth away

IMO, not a very strong TE class.

It's a weak class, all the guys after Fleener have tremendous cons that knock them down. I like what Egnew brings to the table physically but he has little blocking experience, limited route-running knowledge, limited run-after-the-catch ability. Most of those are things that could be coached up if the 49ers felt he was worth the effort but he wouldn't be a guy that would displace Walker immediately.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
George Bryan of NC State in Round 5 or 6 He's a very good blocker, not the fastest guy but has good physical size and his hands are like f**king glue. Put the ball within his vicinity, he'll catch it. The only major downside is that this guy would probably run about a 5 second 40 on a good day, but blocking-wise and holding on to the ball when it comes to him, he's a beast. He's the type of tight-end that sits down somewhere in the zone, if you put the ball anywhere near him, he'll catch it, whether he has to leap for it or outmuscle a defender to it, he chases after the football the same way Rosie O'Donnell would chase a Twinkie.

Im down with Bryan. I dont feel we need a speed demon opposite vernon as long as he can block and dosent drop passes.
We really just need a guy who can pick up tough yards on 3rd down to move the chains. Not everyone on our roster needs to be
a homerun threat.
Im down with Bryan. I dont feel we need a speed demon opposite vernon as long as he can block and dosent drop passes.
We really just need a guy who can pick up tough yards on 3rd down to move the chains. Not everyone on our roster needs to be
a homerun threat.

I like Bryan a lot by all accounts he's tough, physical, the kind of guy who run through a wall for you, plus he's the biggest TE in the draft, about 6-5 1/2 and almost 270 pounds so he's built like a small guard and s**t. But his hands are a huge asset, he would be a nice pickup late to compete with Byham, they are fairly similar although coming out of college, Bryan unquestionably has the better hands and is a more dependable receiver than Byham was coming out of the draft.
Evan Rodriguez, TE, Temple Height: 6-3. Weight: 250. 40 Time: 4.58. 10-Yd Split: 1.63. Bench: 18. Vertical: 36. Arm: 32. Hand: 9 1/2. Projected Round (2012): 4-6. This kid caught my eye at the combine was making alot of catches and looked real fluid. First thought while watching game highlights was i could see him filling Walkers spot with more success.

Originally posted by Izyniner:
Evan Rodriguez, TE, Temple Height: 6-3. Weight: 250. 40 Time: 4.58. 10-Yd Split: 1.63. Bench: 18. Vertical: 36. Arm: 32. Hand: 9 1/2. Projected Round (2012): 4-6. This kid caught my eye at the combine was making alot of catches and looked real fluid. First thought while watching game highlights was i could see him filling Walkers spot with more success.

I like this line of thought. Just because we can upgrade a position dosent mean we need a superstar to do so.
Share 49ersWebzone