There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The impact of Free Agency on the 49ers' Draft

The fact that Soap and RJF are both free agents after 2012 will result in us taking a Defensive Lineman in the first three rounds.
It's hard to see us not targeting one with there being such depth this year and some VERY good players that should fall to #30 or our 2nd rounder.
OTC, of all the 'realistic' options at #30, who do you most want?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
OTC, of all the 'realistic' options at #30, who do you most want?

That's so tough to say. I really can't choose, because there are a number of players I'd be very happy with.

Among the guys that I think could make it to that pick.. the five I would love to have are:

WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
C Peter Konz, Wisconsin
OLB Andre Branch, Clemson
TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
Defensive line looks like its gonna thin out next couple years. We might not need the depth now but we will soon. Veteran starting d lineman are expensive to keep hold of
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Defensive line looks like its gonna thin out next couple years. We might not need the depth now but we will soon. Veteran starting d lineman are expensive to keep hold of

With time to develop, any DL we select early now could potentially be monsters by the time they start getting significant PT.
Justin Smith is 32 now. At the end of his contract, he will be 34. I wouldn't extend him more than a year, cause 35 is getting long in the tooth for an every down DL. Getting D-line help now would reduce his number of snaps per season, and give him a chance to mentor a lineman.
Originally posted by mebemused:
Justin Smith is 32 now. At the end of his contract, he will be 34. I wouldn't extend him more than a year, cause 35 is getting long in the tooth for an every down DL. Getting D-line help now would reduce his number of snaps per season, and give him a chance to mentor a lineman.

I would probably give him a two-year extension to finish his career and give way to his successor while still rotating in.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by mebemused:
Justin Smith is 32 now. At the end of his contract, he will be 34. I wouldn't extend him more than a year, cause 35 is getting long in the tooth for an every down DL. Getting D-line help now would reduce his number of snaps per season, and give him a chance to mentor a lineman.

I would probably give him a two-year extension to finish his career and give way to his successor while still rotating in.
If Justin Smith doesn't retire a 49er I will cry.