There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Were at 30, and Stephen Hill and Fleener are on the board

Were at 30, and Stephen Hill and Fleener are on the board

who do you take, we really need a good young tall WR, but harbaugh might really want his guy from Stanford.
Hill
Look at Free Agency, a run on CB's and WR's in day one, coincidence, no.

Moss is only signed for one year,
Crabtree for 2 more years
Niners need a strong #1 on roster for the next 5 years under contract.
Is this a kill one, f**k one, marry one type of scenario?

Gotta go with the more pressing need: WR.

Fleener would be great in our offense - I have no doubt... but we have VD, which makes our huge lack of WR much more of a need.
Hill
I think FA has shown that we are definitely targeting WRs. Why not a big, fast WR that you can coach up? Hill hands down.
I say not to draft based on need. Draft whoever is a better value at their respective position. A draft pick should be drafted based on what he'll do for the next 5 years. Yeah, we need a WR at the moment, but we shouldn't draft specifically on a need that we have for a singular year.

Can't go wrong with either, in my opinion. In terms of the upcoming season though, I highly doubt either player makes a huge impact. At WR, we're going to be starting Crabtree, Moss, and rotate in a few players. Stephen Hill could be one of those players, but he's not going to be a 1000 yard WR unless we really luck out and he's one of those rookie sensations. At TE, we've got Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker with strangleholds on their position. They know the offense really well and have great chemistry with Alex. Fleener wouldn't have a huge impact either, unless he beat out Delanie for the #2 spot, or we designed a LOT of plays to have three TEs on the field.

I don't expect much from either. The biggest performers in the receiving game next year will, once again, be Crabtree, Davis... and then hopefully Moss. If we could get 400-800 receiving yards as production from either guy, it'd be awesome.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
The more I see of Hill the less impressed I become. Fleener seems the bigger playmaker to me, and that's what we need.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Gotta go with the more pressing need: WR.

Fleener would be great in our offense - I have no doubt... but we have VD, which makes our huge lack of WR much more of a need.

This^
Originally posted by Riot:
The more I see of Hill the less impressed I become. Fleener seems the bigger playmaker to me, and that's what we need.

Fleener is probably the better player. Hill is a combine guy. I think Hill will be gone by #30 anyway.
We have more needs than 7 picks in the draft will cover so we should just trade back for a 2nd and a 3rd. Maybe to the Jags since they have #38 and #71. that would give us #38, #62, #71 and #94. Allowing us to not have to reach for players. I was going to do a mock, but then we picked up Moss and then Morgan left AND THEN All hell broke lose in the FA world so everything got screwed up
Have to go with Hill because I don't know who CoLby Fleener is.

... but if you mean Coby Fleener? then he wins by a slight margin. (would be very happy either way)

I don't think we are in a situation to feel desperate about our WRs yet. Adding Fleener will further keep 3+ wideouts off the field anyway.
I take Fleener. I think him and VD together in 2-TE sets would be sick! I do like what I see in Hill, but the fact that he goes from a 3rd-4th round prospect to a 1st - just because of the combine, worries me a bit. I would still love to find a way to get him in round 2 though.
Without question Fleener. Not that I am anti Hill, I just don't see this coaching staff wanting Hill over Fleener. Call me crazy.