There are 149 users in the forums

Sjceruti's 2012 Full First Round Mock

I don't want to predict trades. No one knows what's actually going to happen so I'll keep the order as is...

1. Colts - Andrew Luck, STAN QB - No brainer. Question is what they do with Manning as well as other FA's and the rest of the draft.

2. Rams - Justin Blackmon, OK STATE WR - #1 WR in the class to a team that needs a big time WR. Personally I don't think he's the sure thing many do...he's just under 6'1" and still needs to adjust to a pro offense. Still the Rams get their guy.

3. Vikings - Matt Kalil, USC OT - The Vikings need their new Bryant McKinnie. Kalil is a guy you stick at LT for 10 years and don't think twice about it. He will step in a be the Vikings best OL especially if they lose Hutchenson.

4. Browns - Robert Griffin III, BAYLOR QB - Many have the Browns trading up to get RGIII. It will most likely happen if they want him but here I'll keep them at 4. Griffin is a stud and should fit in nicely in the WCO.

5. Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne, LSU CB - Not crazy about this pick because I think they have other needs and when you play a cover 2 scheme like they do Claiborne's talents in man coverage would seem to be wasted...but they could use another CB and this is the pick.

6. Redskins - Michael Floyd, NOTRE DAME WR - This might be the first suprise...personally I think he's the best WR in the draft and boy do the skins need one. 6'4" WR's with good hands, speed, and route running ability is rare. Not to mention he played in a pro style offense at ND with an inconsistent QB and still put up numbers. He had some off the field issues but seems to have cleaned up his image.

7. Jaguars - Quinton Coples, UNC DE - I'm a little afraid of this guy to be honest. Lots of potential but it doesnt match the production at UNC. It seems the Jags have been trying to find their pass rusher for years now and this guy has all the tools to be a good one. I think they hoped Floyd would have dropped so they could give Gabbert some help and he very well may but if not Coples is the guy.

8. Dolphins - Riley Reiff, IOWA RT - This pick could go so many different ways. The Fins are moving to a 4-3 Defense and could look to add a DE (Coples if he was there) but they also slid Vernon Carey into RG last year and had Marc Columbo at RT and could use an upgrade. Reiff is a RT who can step in quickly to give them book end tackles for some time.

9. Panthers - Dontari Poe, MEMPHIS DT - This guys lit up the combine. Limited production at Memphis and it could be because he was being double and triple teamed all game but his raw athleticism has drawn comparisons to Haloti Ngata. High praise. Not sure he'll be on that level but he'll help Carolina's terrible run defense.

10. Bills - Jonathan Martin, STANFORD OT - The Bills have needed help on the OL for sometime. Martin is an athletic guy. The knock on him is his strength in the run game. He actually reminds me a lot of our own Joe Staley. The Bills have many needs and could also go with a pass rusher but Martin fills a need either way.

11. Chiefs - Michael Brockers, LSU DE/DT - Brockers to me is the best 3-4 end in this draft. Now if you look back to the Chiefs past few drafts, they've been burned a little with guys like Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey who've been perenial underachievers to be nice. Brockers would give them added depth on the line and might allow them to slide Dorsey inside.

12. Seahawks - Melvin Ingram, S. CAROLINA DE - This guys is a worker and a guy who gets to the QB. Seattle needs a guy opposite of Chris Clemons. Boom. Match made in heaven.

13. Cardinals - David DeCastro, STAN OG - The Cardinals offensive line is just that...offensive. It may be the worst in football. DeCastro come in day one and starts. He's more polished that Iupati was when we took him (Iupati has a bigger upside) and he came from a pro system and seems to be very intellegent. Solid addition.

14. Cowboys - Dre Kirkpatrick, ALABAMA CB - My goodness they need secondary help. I was torn between Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron also from Bama. I ultimately went with Dre because he a better value. Now obviously if they sign a CB like Finnegan they might look elsewhere but CB is a huge need and Kirkpatrick will fit in nicely.

15. Eagles - Luke Luechly, BC MLB - Simple here. The Eagles need linebackers badly...Luechly may be the best one available. He starts in Philly from day 1. Other picks could be any of the DT's remaining or Mike Adams from Ohio State.

16. Jets - Courtney Upshaw, ALABAMA OLB - Perfect play for the Jets who need help on defense and especially at the rush linebacker spot. Upshaw played OLB in a 3-4 at Bama so he knows the system and there would be no awkward period while he transitions from down lineman to rush linebacker. Rex Ryan is happy...then promptly predicts the Jets will win the Super Bowl.

17. Bengals - Janoris Jenkins, N. ALABAMA CB - As we all know...Nate Clements is terrible (Although to his credit he was alright with the Bengals last year.) Jenkins gives Cinci another DB after losing Joseph last year and could be a good value given his off the field troubles. Fittingly, though, a guy with baggage can call Cinci home.

18. Chargers - Kendall Wright, BAYLOR WR - Believe it or not the weapons in San Diego aren't that great, even if Vincent Jackson returns. Gates is constantly injured, Malcom Floyd is average, and other than that they dont have much. Wright gives Rivers and Turner a weapon in a pass happy offense.

19. Bears - Fletcher Cox, MISS ST DT - I struggled a bit with this pick because they could take Mike Adams from Ohio St. However his combine performance hurt him badly and it would be a reach at 19. It seems Chicago loves to pile up the front 7 on defense and Cox helps them in a position of need.

20. Titans - Whitney Mercilus, ILLINOIS DE - Derrick Morgan has been a bust thus far and they need a pash rusher. He had a solid career at Illinois and is one of those tweener guys between 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. I think he has what it takes to get to the QB and the Titans are happy.

21. Bengals - Trent Richardson, ALABAMA RB - Basically the value of RB's is low in today football. Many have him going top 5 or 10 but ultimately RB's arent difficult to find. Richardson is not Adrian Peterson but he is a good back. Reminds me a bit of a better Ahmad Bradshaw. The Bengals at to their young offense.

22. Browns - Mike Adams, OHIO ST OT - Interesting situation here for Cleveland. Most think this pick will be gone trading up for RGIII but if not they need to address the RT position. Adams had a tough combine but was good at OSU and had the size to be a NFL RT. Plus, you've got to protect the investment and a WR isn't worth a pick here.

23. Lions - Mark Barron, ALABAMA SS - The Lions need help in the secondary and on the offensive line. Cordy Glenn could be the pick but pairing Barron and Delmas at safety could be a good young tandem for a few years. Plus there are OL to be taken in the later rounds.

24. Steelers - Dont'a Hightower, ALABAMA MLB - They lose Farrior and are aging at LB. Hightower played in a 3-4 at Alabama and has all the makings of a Steeler LB.

25. Broncos - Devon Still, PENN ST DT - I'm not crazy about Still. Not sure he's athletic enough to stand out in the NFL but the Broncos took Von Miller last year and passed on Marcell Dareus. Both will be great pro's but DL was the bigger need and they don't forget that this season. CB could also be addressed here.

26. Texans - Cordy Glenn, GEORGIA OG - There just isn't a pass catcher here worth the 26th pick (But what about Stephen Hill you ask? I'm not in love with him and think he's a mid 2nd rounder.) Houston actually had one of the better OL's last season but could use an upgrade here and there. Glenn is a guy who should be a guard in the NFL. I question his athletic ability to play RT but the Texans have no problem with that.

27. Patriots - Andre Branch, CLEMSON DE - Versatile player. If they decide to go with the 3-4 he can stand up...if they play a 4-3 he can put his hand in the dirt. Either way they've needed a pash rusher for years now and finally they get one. Enjoy.

28. Packers - Peter Konz, WISCONSIN C/G - The Packers need to upgrade the interior OL. They may lose their center too so if that's the case Konz is a nice pick at 28. He comes from Oline U and can play right away.

29. Ravens - Nick Perry, USC DE/OLB - Tough call here but you can never have enough pass rushers. I think they'd like to see a OL fall to there but that's not the case. Burfict is possible but it appears he's now a 2nd rounder. Other possibilities include Jared Crick and Brandon Thompson.

30. 49ers - Chase Minnifield, VIRGINIA CB - Here we are guys! Obviously WR and OG are needs but we wont reach. Minnifield can play man or zone, has good size and good speed plus it fits a need. I don't think well go TE and I consider Fleener and 2nd rounder anyway. I dont think many of you would be happy with this pick but hey...80% of you hated the Aldon pick and look how that turned out. Anyway Minnifield would most likely be what Culiver was last year and could learn the NFL game. Even if we bring back Rogers I can see us going CB in the 1st.

31. Patriots - Zach Brown, UNC LB - Brown doesnt have great size but he's smart and very fast. He can play inside if they go with a 3-4 and outside in a 4-3. Either way they get a good player and a guy I think Belichick will like (Similar to a Bruschi role).

32. Giants - Lamar Miller, MIAMI RB - The defending champs can go a number of different ways. Ultimately they go BPA and if they lose Jacobs, Miller is a guy who can give them 15 carries a game. I thought about giving them a TE since Ballard will be gone for a while but I just dont think they go that route. Other possibilites are OL/TE. Miller reminds me a bit of Clinton Portis.

Would love to hear feedback!
[ Edited by Sjceruti on Mar 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
30. 49ers - Chase Minnifield, VIRGINIA CB - Here we are guys! Obviously WR and OG are needs but we wont reach. Minnifield can play man or zone, has good size and good speed plus it fits a need. I don't think well go TE and I consider Fleener and 2nd rounder anyway. I dont think many of you would be happy with this pick but hey...80% of you hated the Aldon pick and look how that turned out. Anyway Minnifield would most likely be what Culiver was last year and could learn the NFL game. Even if we bring back Rogers I can see us going CB in the 1st.

So, no Trent Richardson in the first round? No Tannehill?

Also, with Stephen Hill and Fleener still on the board we go with Minnifield?

I think you need to go back to the drawing board.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

yeah, still some good WRs avaible. minnifiled isnt a horrible pick, but there is to much offensive talent still on the board and we just pass it up.
Originally posted by mayo49:

i believe minnifield's stock dropped a bit at the combine when he came in with most thinking he was 6-0, and he measured shorter--he was not the "big" cb many thought

stephon gilmore would be a much better pick for niners were they to go db here, though I would be ticked to see them bypass stephen hill
[ Edited by hofer36 on Mar 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM ]
I think most of the picks are fine and some of the surprises like Chargers going Wright and the 1st not going WR crazy like most peoploe think...

But I do think that Trent Richardson has to be in the 1st round, probably even early first.
If Richardson falls that low, we pick him at 30 no doubt
BPA for sure
Originally posted by solidg2000:
If Richardson falls that low, we pick him at 30 no doubt
BPA for sure

agreed and he wont fall that far.
I'm pretty sure Trent Richardson will be off the board before Lamar Miller.
Yea Lamar Miller in the 1st round and no Richardson in the 1st round makes no sense. And I don't see the Skins taking Floyd that hihg especially when all indications are they are going to break the bank for whatever FA wr. No way would the niner pass on Richardson and take Minnefield

Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea Lamar Miller in the 1st round and no Richardson in the 1st round makes no sense. And I don't see the Skins taking Floyd that hihg especially when all indications are they are going to break the bank for whatever FA wr. No way would the niner pass on Richardson and take Minnefield

Sorry I meant to mock him to Cinci. It's fixed.
minifield has a good chance of landing to us in the 2nd
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

I accidently slotted Miller in for Richardson to Cinci, should be all set now.
Tannehill to me isn't a 1st rounder but as we know QB's get overdrafted so it's obviously possible.

As for Hill and Fleener I believe they're not 1st rounders. Hill especially.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
[ Edited by KID9R on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM ]
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
minifield has a good chance of landing to us in the 2nd

agree
Share 49ersWebzone