There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OTC's Big 125 Board + 49ers Mock (3/5/12)

jreff backs it up with facts and professional opinions.

Englerburrger - don't entirely disagree w/you BUT make your own mock and we can see what positives you have to offer.
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
? for OTC. Who is the best run blocking guard in this draft? Who is the best run blocking guard that might be available at our first pick?
I ask this because if snyder doesn't resign I think were gonna need a guard even more than Fleener, Hill or an offensive weapon. My thought is, if we can improve our running game, this will do more to help the offense because we are a running team first. I remember to many games ( Cowboys with larry allen, emmet smith) where the ball gets snapped, then the d-line gets pushed back 2 or 3 yards, then the running back gets what he can get. You may not have to pass the ball in the fourth quarter if they can't stop your runs.

Top 5:

1. David DeCastro, Stanford
2. Cordy Glenn, Georgia
3. Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
4. Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
5. Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State

3-5 should easily be available at #30.
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Originally posted by jreff22:
The mocks were used to show predictions from sports writers. No offense but your opinion holds 0 weight compared to nationally known writers and guys who have been doing this on the zone for years and who are accurate the vast majority of the time. Until you post a mock or a big board to show your knowledge I suggest you stop throwing stones on others work. I have watched Poe, I watch a lot of ball and pay a lot of attention to the draft. Teams fell in love with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder who had no business being high first rounders last year but guess what...it takes one team.

Post a mock so we can bask in the brilliance of your opinion.

Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder were all productive players in major conferences. You just don't get it.

Every player looking to get drafted in the first 3 rounds was productive to a certain extent. Was Locker productive, sure..was Poe productive, yes he was. Its the point of over drafting because some teams needs or falls in love with a certain guy. Was Poe productive enough to be a top 10 pick, no he was not, but other variables go into draft picks and as I stated earlier those variables can be enough to push him to be over-drafted. I do not think he is worth the pick, but I am not a GM who could use his athleticism and thinks my DL coach could correct issues with him. You don't get the point that it happens a lot and numerous people are starting to project him high based on those points. Should Gabbert of been a high pick...nope, should Brady of been a very low pick...nope. Some GM's over draft, under draft, and hit bulls eyes and looking at college production as the only variable is short sighted.

I don't see Hill being a first round pick right now but a lot of people do, his college numbers were decent but his combine measurables were through the roof. Its the same philosophy just different players. You may see Poe as a crappy player, that's great but a GM might hold a different opinion on the kid.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
The mocks were used to show predictions from sports writers. No offense but your opinion holds 0 weight compared to nationally known writers and guys who have been doing this on the zone for years and who are accurate the vast majority of the time. Until you post a mock or a big board to show your knowledge I suggest you stop throwing stones on others work. I have watched Poe, I watch a lot of ball and pay a lot of attention to the draft. Teams fell in love with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder who had no business being high first rounders last year but guess what...it takes one team.

Post a mock so we can bask in the brilliance of your opinion.

If you really have seen Poe I don't understand why you can't mention specifics about his game that impressed you. Engleburger may get 0 credibility from you and the rest of the good old boys but at least be has his own opinion and doesn't need to rest on the curtails of some overhyped Internet gms.

EB already has given his opinion, let's hear yours...And please base it on what you've seen of him in games and not just on fourth or fifth hand scouting reports.

Big fat DL prospects that had a ho hum career are usually graded as 3rd rounders. Poe is not really great in any specific area, he is not dominant or consistent. With his athleticism and playing in a weaker conference he should of destroyed offensive linemen on a weekly basis, he did not. It might be a motivation issue and if memory serves he went through a couple of coaches in Memphis. If his technique was getting changed often or if the scheme was shifting it could be a reason for his off and on play. Without being in a meeting with him and hearing some truth there is no way to know. He has not lived up to his potential and I think that is where a team could bite. For his size, his ability to move is amazing and if its a point of motivation a GM and HC may say "we can do that for him".

All EB has said is he was horrible, that's not an evaluation. I have said to me he is not a top 10 talent. Based off of production alone without looking at combine numbers I would say he fits into the 3rd round because he can play NT and teams need NT's. Because he posted what he did teams will go back and look at what the problems are. Technique can be fixed, motivation can be fixed, if he needs coaching consistency he can get it. Let's be honest, if Tomsula told Baalke give me 1 year and I can get him fixed what would you say? We have taken 7th rounders and made them great, if Tomsula for instance said I can make this guy a monster I would believe him. And its that circumstance that gets some kids over drafted by trigger happy GM's.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
jreff backs it up with facts and professional opinions.

Englerburrger - don't entirely disagree w/you BUT make your own mock and we can see what positives you have to offer.
What facts? His 40 yard dash time? C-USA honorable mention? I've actually watched Poe play. Doesn't that mean something?

And what would a mock draft do, exactly? If I made a good mock would you just steal my opinions? Would you believe me on Poe? The whole "MAKE A MOCK OR YOUR OPINION DON'T MATTER" mindset on here is retarded. Why would I make a mock? I'm a niner fan. I don't give a s**t who the Miami Dolphins are drafting.

Actually watching a prospect is much more powerful than reading someone elses opinion.

Every player looking to get drafted in the first 3 rounds was productive to a certain extent. Was Locker productive, sure..was Poe productive, yes he was. Its the point of over drafting because some teams needs or falls in love with a certain guy. Was Poe productive enough to be a top 10 pick, no he was not, but other variables go into draft picks and as I stated earlier those variables can be enough to push him to be over-drafted. I do not think he is worth the pick, but I am not a GM who could use his athleticism and thinks my DL coach could correct issues with him. You don't get the point that it happens a lot and numerous people are starting to project him high based on those points. Should Gabbert of been a high pick...nope, should Brady of been a very low pick...nope. Some GM's over draft, under draft, and hit bulls eyes and looking at college production as the only variable is short sighted.

I don't see Hill being a first round pick right now but a lot of people do, his college numbers were decent but his combine measurables were through the roof. Its the same philosophy just different players. You may see Poe as a crappy player, that's great but a GM might hold a different opinion on the kid.

stopped reading, lol
Will be releasing a big 150 board this coming week or next (given a little time for FA), so the majority, if not all of this will be moot really soon.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Engleburge

stopped reading, lol

Tell you what because he is "sooo bad" he shouldn't be drafted within the first 3-4 rounds, if he is then obviously he was productive enough to play professional football.
Tell you what because he is "sooo bad" he shouldn't be drafted within the first 3-4 rounds, if he is then obviously he was productive enough to play professional football.

I never said he shouldn't be drafted. I said I've never seen a player so ineffective picked in the top 10. If he's a top 10 pick, theres some offensive linemen at Arkansas State and Middle Tennessee who should be top 3 picks.

The fact that you changed it to the third or 4th round probably means you won't, but I'm willing to bet a lifetime ban on the webzone that he won't be a top 15 pick.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Big fat DL prospects that had a ho hum career are usually graded as 3rd rounders. Poe is not really great in any specific area, he is not dominant or consistent. With his athleticism and playing in a weaker conference he should of destroyed offensive linemen on a weekly basis, he did not. It might be a motivation issue and if memory serves he went through a couple of coaches in Memphis. If his technique was getting changed often or if the scheme was shifting it could be a reason for his off and on play. Without being in a meeting with him and hearing some truth there is no way to know. He has not lived up to his potential and I think that is where a team could bite. For his size, his ability to move is amazing and if its a point of motivation a GM and HC may say "we can do that for him".

All EB has said is he was horrible, that's not an evaluation. I have said to me he is not a top 10 talent. Based off of production alone without looking at combine numbers I would say he fits into the 3rd round because he can play NT and teams need NT's. Because he posted what he did teams will go back and look at what the problems are. Technique can be fixed, motivation can be fixed, if he needs coaching consistency he can get it. Let's be honest, if Tomsula told Baalke give me 1 year and I can get him fixed what would you say? We have taken 7th rounders and made them great, if Tomsula for instance said I can make this guy a monster I would believe him. And its that circumstance that gets some kids over drafted by trigger happy GM's.

Very specific...