LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Official 2012 Webzone Collaborative Draft - ROUND 3 (Browns are on the clock)

Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
This is like taking candy from a baby.

With the first of their two 1st round picks, the Patriots add another dynamic weapon for Tom Brady by selecting Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill, the 6'4", 215lb star of the recent combine.

I don't think there is a chance in hell the Patriots pick a WR in the first round after finishing 2nd in the NFL in passing and using the franchise tag on Walker. A big part the Patriots' passing game is their TE's. The Patriots loss the Super Bowl because of their weak defense not their offense. The Patriots finished 31st in defense last year and you picked a WR in the 1st round of the draft.

Idiots pick for need when there's a great talent staring them in the face. You also forget that the Pats have another 1st rounder just a few picks later (31st overall), not to mention two 2nd round picks....meaning, they can easily address 3 holes on the defensive side of the ball with top 64 talent.

But hey, if you think the impact of grabbing a defensive player at #27 overall as opposed to #31 overall is that big of a deal, so be it.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM ]
Idiots pick for need when there's a great talent staring them in the face. You also forget that the Pats have another 1st rounder just a few picks later (31st overall), not to mention two 2nd round picks....meaning, they can easily address 3 holes on the defensive side of the ball with top 64 talent.

But hey, if you think the impact of grabbing a defensive player at #27 overall as opposed to #31 overall is that big of a deal, so be it.

Bolded: yeah but they are just gonna trade away there own 1st round (31) to pick up someone elses 1st for next year since they plan to be picking at #32 again next year.. its smart to do that so they keep picking 10 picks ahead of where they usually would if they just kept there normal pick.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:

Bolded: yeah but they are just gonna trade away there own 1st round (31) to pick up someone elses 1st for next year since they plan to be picking at #32 again next year.. its smart to do that so they keep picking 10 picks ahead of where they usually would if they just kept there normal pick.

so true, so true...

Have to ask Ghost....Then, what about Jenkins who's a top twenty talent as opposed to Hill who was never considered a 1st rounder until the Combine? Or Mercilus, who is ranked higher on many boards than Hill? I get why you picked Hill, no question there...could even say he's was a need, too. Still, seems like Mercilus, Jenkins, and Still would be higher on the Pats' board than Hill.

And yes, it's only a guess about that last part. Although, Belichick and I are like peas and carrots.
Originally posted by ninertico:

Have to ask Ghost....Then, what about Jenkins who's a top twenty talent as opposed to Hill who was never considered a 1st rounder until the Combine? Or Mercilus, who is ranked higher on many boards than Hill? I get why you picked Hill, no question there...could even say he's was a need, too. Still, seems like Mercilus, Jenkins, and Still would be higher on the Pats' board than Hill.

And yes, it's only a guess about that last part. Although, Belichick and I are like peas and carrots.

Really depends on a team's board, who they rank higher and who they think fits their system best. Btw, it's not out of the question that either of the two guys you mention will still be there at #31 for the Pats, whereas Stephen Hill would definitely be gone by then.
making my selection shortly
making my selection shortly
The Green Bay Packers have needs on all three levels of their defense. They are getting old in the secondary, and the loss of Cullen Jenkins last year to Philly was costly. There are several guys that could replace the loss of C Jenkins at DE to play alongside BJ Raji.....With one of the elite offenses in the NFL, The Packers select the national leader in sacks and forced fumbles last year. Whitney Mercilus 6'4 265 4.6 40 from Illinois. He plugs in accross from Clay Mathews and brings another beast to the defense at OLB. They can address their DL and secondary later in the draft.
[ Edited by davidboutte on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM ]
^^^BTW, nice pick. Thought that Still or Mercilus would be the pick.

ChaunceyGardener is now OTC...

Pick already!!!!!

[ Edited by ninertico on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM ]

We really got to throw this notion out the window that there are risers or fallers on draft boards. For one thing, the only draft boards that truly matter (NFL GM's boards), nobody really has a clue about. Sure every now and then a reporter will say "he has heard" but for all we know it is smoke and mirrors.

The risers and falls on draft boards only pertains to the people on the outside, and its usually because people on the outside can't spend 24/7 watching video. I'd love if I could. So what happens is people watch some of a player, guess at where his value is and then usually re-evaluate him several more times as they learn more about him. Some players, the more you learn about the more you like, others the more you learn the less you like.

But the whole riser and faller hype is mostly the product of outsiders not being able to spend all day and know every single player and seen them in all of their games. Hell even GMs don't have that luxury (they have regional scouts that do this).

Maybe Stephen Hill falls, maybe he doesn't. We won't know what NFL GMs REALLY think until draft day, thats what makes it so much fun.Until then we can just debate on how good we think a guy is.

But debating whether a guy is a late 1st rounder or an early 2nd rounder based on GM boards we have no idea about seems silly to me. Instead we should be talking about whether you think Stephen Hill is worth it or not (or any other player).

On a side note, if Stephen Hill goes in the 1st, I wonder if he will have the fewest catches of any 1st round WR?
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM ]

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
We really got to throw this notion out the window that there are risers or fallers on draft boards. For one thing, the only draft boards that truly matter (NFL GM's boards), nobody really has a clue about. Sure every now and then a reporter will say "he has heard" but for all we know it is smoke and mirrors.

The risers and falls on draft boards only pertains to the people on the outside, and its usually because people on the outside can't spend 24/7 watching video. I'd love if I could. So what happens is people watch some of a player, guess at where his value is and then usually re-evaluate him several more times as they learn more about him. Some players, the more you learn about the more you like, others the more you learn the less you like.

But the whole riser and faller hype is mostly the product of outsiders not being able to spend all day and know every single player and seen them in all of their games. Hell even GMs don't have that luxury (they have regional scouts that do this).

Maybe Stephen Hill falls, maybe he doesn't. We won't know what NFL GMs REALLY think until draft day, thats what makes it so much fun.Until then we can just debate on how good we think a guy is.

But debating whether a guy is a late 1st rounder or an early 2nd rounder based on GM boards we have no idea about seems silly to me. Instead we should be talking about whether you think Stephen Hill is worth it or not (or any other player).

On a side note, if Stephen Hill goes in the 1st, I wonder if he will have the fewest catches of any 1st round WR?

There will always be risers and fallers on any board and we know we're not GMs. That's not the POV is was trying to make here. Instead, I was asking Ghost about the value of Hill VS the others I mentioned because the others have been 1st rd talents since the get go and Hill wasn't until after that incredible Combine. The movement up or down a persons, not GMs, board is correct from you POV: Do you think the prospect is worth it.

In this case, Ghost says hell ya!

Just trying to get comparisons and different POVs, but not looking at it as a GM...rather an armchair one at that.
There will always be risers and fallers on any board and we know we're not GMs. That's not the POV is was trying to make here. Instead, I was asking Ghost about the value of Hill VS the others I mentioned because the others have been 1st rd talents since the get go and Hill wasn't until after that incredible Combine. The movement up or down a persons, not GMs, board is correct from you POV: Do you think the prospect is worth it.

Just trying to get comparisons and different POVs, but not looking at it as a GM...rather an armchair one at that.

Yeah I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. I just noticed a lot of people have been saying "before the combine he wasn't even a 1st rounder!!" So I was just trying to say we don't really know what a players stock was, we're just guessing at it and we shouldn't knock players because they are risers in our eyes.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yeah I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. I just noticed a lot of people have been saying "before the combine he wasn't even a 1st rounder!!" So I was just trying to say we don't really know what a players stock was, we're just guessing at it and we shouldn't knock players because they are risers in our eyes.
Oh so true!

The way I view it is like this: We here, in the Draft Room, look at this crap almost 27/7. For me, I haven't seen Hill's name at all associated with the second or third rounds let alone the first. Those resources were the different analysts' boards we follow like Kiper and Rang along with OTC and MadDog for example. These guys would know a hell of a lot more than me as I wouldn't be following a Hill for example the entire year. Yet, I don't even remember his name being called or talked about in these threads during the season. It wasn't until he said he was coming out where focus started to concentrate on him. At that time, he was being called a third day pick even.

Now, he's a #27 pick? Speed will do that to a guy.
Lets get this baby rolling again can't wait to make my 2nd round pick
The Baltimore Ravens select:

Dont'a Hightower LB Alabama
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone