LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

Talking Cornerbacks: What would you do?

Talking Cornerbacks: What would you do?

Rogers leaves and we don't sign another free agent cornerback. What do you do?
(Claiborne, Kirkpatrick and Jenkins have all been drafted by 30)

Also, let's hear your answers to these questions.
1. Are you comfortable with Brown and Culliver starting?
2. Would you take Janoris Jenkins despite his off the field issues if he was there at 30?
3. Rank your CBs you would take at 30 and then at 62 (if you want).
4. Who is your Mid to Late Round Favorite CB?
5. If Rogers does come back for say 4 years do you still pick a CB in this draft? If so what round?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM ]
1. no (not next year at least)
2. yes i would- 49ers wouldnt though
minnniefield
jenkins
dennard
gilmore
boykins

62:
heyward
hoysley

rather have both of those guys at 62 than any of the other guys at 30
Everyone has been talking mainly WRs, Fleener and interior offensive lineman but there is a good chance a CB could be our 1st or 2nd round pick. Nobody has really discussed them much so I thought I would bring them up.

To answer the questions....

1. I obviously prefer Rogers back but I would be comfortable with them starting. I would want another CB because even if Brock is at 3 that leaves a 7th rounder coming off an injury at 4. Odds are we would look at another FA CB but in this scenario I wanted to see who everyone likes in the draft.

2. Yes, I normally wouldn't pick guys like that but I think our staff and organization could straighten him out. Plenty of vets to keep his head on straight. However, I don't see Baalke/Harbaugh taking him and I can understand that.

3.I really am not a big fan of the CB's. It's somewhat deep but nothing really spectacular and it's not really top heavy. I would take Jenkins but if he isn't there I would probably just go with WR/TE/OL and use the 2nd rounder on Hayward.... then next choice would be Hosley if Hayward is gone.

4. Omar Bolden, Shaun Prater
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
1. Yes, our scheme is set up to let our CBs succeed with minimal risk because of the other the top safeties
2. Yes, I would
3a. Janoris Jenkins, Stephon Gilmore, Alfonzo Dennard, Brandon Boykin
3b. Casey Hayward, Trumaine Johnson, Josh Robinson, Jayron Hosley, Chase Minnifield
4. Ryan Steed, Cliff Harris, Josh Normon, Robert Golden, Omar Bolden, favorite is probably Bolden.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

2. Would you take Janoris Jenkins despite his off the field issues if he was there at 30?
5. If Rogers does come back for say 4 years do you still pick a CB in this draft? If so what round?

I. I'd rather see Culliver return to FS, backing up goldson, and still play the Nickelback role. I dont want him starting, he's not ready for that yet..
2.No
3.IDK yet.
4. The kid from Montana St., cant think of his name rith now.
5. #rd. rd.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

I. I'd rather see Culliver return to FS, backing up goldson, and still play the Nickelback role. I dont want him starting, he's not ready for that yet..
2.No
3.IDK yet.
4. The kid from Montana St., cant think of his name rith now.
5. #rd. rd.

the cb from Montana is from the University of Montana. Not Montana state
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
rookie CB = NO BUENO!!!! Re-sign Rogers NAO!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
rookie CB = NO BUENO!!!! Re-sign Rogers NAO!

This. If we do end up drafting a CB I want him to be brought along slowly like we did Culliver.
Watching some tape, and came away very unimpressed with Leonard Johnson. Poor tackler, terrible in run support, can't play press, lacks physicality. Him matched up with a physical WR would be a nightmare in the NFL.

Right now I have him dropping to a 4th round talent....tons more work to do though!

On a side note, I see some sites ranking Flemming of Oklahoma as a 3rd rounder....don't see that at all. I didn't see a single strength to his game. He is kind of just an average player across the board.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM ]

Also, any of you guys think we take the free agency route if Rogers doesn't come back? The draft would be cheaper.

I would rule out guys like Finnegan because he will get top money from probably Dallas or STL. One name I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign who nobody is talking about is Aaron Ross. Him and Brown are friends going back to their days at Texas. Not a replacement for Rogers but a nice vet presence to go with the young Culliver, Brock, drafted rookie? and Brown.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Also, any of you guys think we take the free agency route if Rogers doesn't come back? The draft would be cheaper.

I would rule out guys like Finnegan because he will get top money from probably Dallas or STL. One name I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign who nobody is talking about is Aaron Ross. Him and Brown are friends going back to their days at Texas. Not a replacement for Rogers but a nice vet presence to go with the young Culliver, Brock, drafted rookie? and Brown.

Aaron Ross would be the most expensive we would go in terms of FA CBs IMHO. The media buzz is that we wouldn't do that though, they say we would go after a veteran to push Brock for the #3 role but who if he stuck on the roster would be comfortable as the #4 CB and contribute on ST as well. Guys that come to mind for this mold to name a few would be Chris Carr from the Ravens(was cut last week, played as their #3 or 4 guy behind Jimmy Smith and Cary Williams, fairly skilled KR as well), Anthony Madison(from Pitt, he's a very solid ST guy) to name a few.
Originally posted by sfout:
Aaron Ross would be the most expensive we would go in terms of FA CBs IMHO. The media buzz is that we wouldn't do that though, they say we would go after a veteran to push Brock for the #3 role but who if he stuck on the roster would be comfortable as the #4 CB and contribute on ST as well. Guys that come to mind for this mold to name a few would be Chris Carr from the Ravens(was cut last week, played as their #3 or 4 guy behind Jimmy Smith and Cary Williams, fairly skilled KR as well), Anthony Madison(from Pitt, he's a very solid ST guy) to name a few.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I see more of a vet presence #3 guy (maybe starts at 2 but Culliver replaces). Leaves Brock for #4 and ST. I see Carr and Finnegan getting big money from Dallas or St Louis (who will have to make some cuts/restructures). Tracy Porter is probably out of the picture as well.

Richard Marshall from Arizona might not be a bad #3 either. Carr would definitely be an option... maybe Jason Allen of Houston... Aaron Ross...
Resigning Rogers is far and away the best thing we can do.
1. Nope not at all
2. Sure would b/c i'm sure they will talk to him to see where his head is at.
3. Trumaine Johnson, Josh Norman, Casey Hayward a
4. see above
5. Maybe a late rounder or if you feel the guy is BPA in the 4th or later. could find a guy that's an upgrade over Brock.
Share 49ersWebzone