There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Stephen Hill, Coby Fleener, Peter Konz. All gone by pick #30. What then?

All about Kendall Wright and I think if needed we'll trade up to get him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Your list proves nothing. None of those guys is as good as the 3 listed.

Well, since Barry Saunders never played RB in the NFL, I'd say all of them are better than him . Seriously, though, I'd take Gore, Turner, Foster, McCoy (even though he's a di*k), Forte, Rice, and MJD over Smith. That guy was a decent, toug, durable one-cut back who happened to play behind the most dominant run-blocking OL in NFL history. Add to that that he played in an offense with great run-pass balance, and he rarely had to run against a stacked box. He dropped into the perfect situation for a RB, and I think any of those guys could have had the same numbers or better in his place.

Also, I believe part of the point behind the list was thaat the current trend in the NFL is that good backs are found later because less of them get drafted early and the game is more focused on passing offense. Referencing stars from a bygone era is unfair in two ways: 1) their carreers are complete, thus more impressive; 2) RBs were more important and held greater value, so they were picked earlier. The era of the feature back is nearly gone, as RB-by-committee seems to be the way of the world, unless you have an MJD or a healthy Gore, both of whom do everything than any other back on their respective teams.
Did you see the Saints trade up for Ingram, only to have him be down the depth chart from existing UDFA and low pick RB's. RB's camn be had in later rounds (the evidence is huge, arian foster, frank gore, kendal hunter, jarvis green-ellis, etc.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Did you see the Saints trade up for Ingram, only to have him be down the depth chart from existing UDFA and low pick RB's. RB's camn be had in later rounds (the evidence is huge, arian foster, frank gore, kendal hunter, jarvis green-ellis, etc.

Agree unless there is a special player (J Rice) who is available with a trade up. I'll leave it to Harbaugh and Baalke to determine if someone is worth a trade but they made a move for CK knowing that he would sit on the bench for a few years so they are willing to gamble a bit. I don't see any RBs in that category but would like to see them get a great WR or two...trade up, trade down...however!
If all those players were gone, I'd try and trade down.

I'm a big Lamar Miller fan and I'd love him on our team, but if he somehow fell (which I doubt, especially with Cinci needing a running back), I'm positive a team would want to trade up for him.

Although I wouldn't be mad at all if he was our selection.
Just wondering what Frank Gire and Barry Saunders think. Anyone here from them?
Originally posted by 9erguy:

Nuthin'. Fran and Bernie are oddly silent on this one
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by 9erguy:

Nuthin'. Fran and Bernie are oddly silent on this one

There just may be a very good DT available at that spot, too.

Worthy
Reyes
Thompson
Still
Cox

BPA. I know we have some DE depth, but upgrades at the position could be had here. Maybe even Gilmore could be had at #30. Some are saying Osemele is a viable option at the end of round one, too.

Given where we are, I'd even say that trading down would be an excellent option because rounds two and three will still have solid WRs, CBs and ROGs which we need.

If we go RB, I want Martin in the second although some are saying he's going to be another fringe 1st/2nd. He seems to fit our type of runner. I just don't see it happening though. Instead, I see ROG, receiver(s) (WRs and/or TEs) and CB being our top three needs with depth at NT, OLB and ILB.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we should have lost on purpose in order to draft higher those were the good old days
If those 3 are taken, then there should be some other good players that are available at #30. I wouldn't have a huge problem with Miller, but I don't see him as a first round back.
Originally posted by JimmyMcnulty:
What if the BPA was a QB?

Trade down and get more picks so that you can also move up with the team's original 2nd or 3rd picks.
What about Lamar Miller (RB - Miami)?

5'10 - 3/4" 212 lbs. 4.40 40 yard dash at the combine. 1,272 yards and 9 TD's in 2011.

Gore keeps coming out of the game and missing snaps and entire series at the end of the year and in the playoffs. It's obvious his age, injuries and hits are catching up to him fast. And it won't get better IMO. It will get worse. Kendall Hunter is 5'7" 199 lbs. A change of pace back. Dixon is worthless and we need to replace him.

We need an every down back for the future. And don't come in here and say we don't need a RB.... Gore kept coming out of games at the end of the season and playoffs too. He's really hit the wall. 2 torn up knees, 2 torn up shoulders, age, injuries, tons of hits. It's catching up big time. RB is not as empahsized around the NFL as it used to be in some cases. But to our team RB is HUGE IMO. Control the clock, make our defense even better, and help Alex not have to put the whole thing on his shoulders.

I get that everbody wants Stephen Hill, Coby Fleener, and Peter Konz. But what if they are all gone? And they could be at #30. Say this guy and Streeter in the 2nd round?

Love this guy, but in 2nd. rd. he be there....
He's a good RB...but, as a player to replace Gore at some point, I think Doug Martin is a more complete RB. There's nothing he doesn't do well, including KR's. He's also 220+ lbs, which is the size Harbaugh/Baalke's looking for. He could arguably be taken in 2nd rd. I'd be prone to go top OL, ideally a player who could play both C and OG or a top CB if they keep #30 pick.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
What about Lamar Miller (RB - Miami)?

5'10 - 3/4" 212 lbs. 4.40 40 yard dash at the combine. 1,272 yards and 9 TD's in 2011.

Gore keeps coming out of the game and missing snaps and entire series at the end of the year and in the playoffs. It's obvious his age, injuries and hits are catching up to him fast. And it won't get better IMO. It will get worse. Kendall Hunter is 5'7" 199 lbs. A change of pace back. Dixon is worthless and we need to replace him.

We need an every down back for the future. And don't come in here and say we don't need a RB.... Gore kept coming out of games at the end of the season and playoffs too. He's really hit the wall. 2 torn up knees, 2 torn up shoulders, age, injuries, tons of hits. It's catching up big time. RB is not as empahsized around the NFL as it used to be in some cases. But to our team RB is HUGE IMO. Control the clock, make our defense even better, and help Alex not have to put the whole thing on his shoulders.

I get that everbody wants Stephen Hill, Coby Fleener, and Peter Konz. But what if they are all gone? And they could be at #30. Say this guy and Streeter in the 2nd round?

Love this guy, but in 2nd. rd. he be there....

Not at pick #62 he won't.