There are 184 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Coby Fleener, Peter Konz. All gone by pick #30. What then?

SanDiego, check out my mock I just put up. I agree with you on Miller (if Fleener and Hill are not there). I think we could use him this year. I want to trade back to get him though in the 2nd round.
Good post.

Agree w/most of what you say. Gore is deffinitely wearing down and slowing down. I feel he still has a good year left in him. Also agree that Dixon should be traded. drop kicked or whatever. If he hasn't been able to stop the juking by now he never will.

It will depend on FA. Let's say that all the top players you mentioned are gone and Glenn is also gone. Let's also assume that we get Meechum in FA. [I know it's a lot of assumptions BUT tis the season.]

I'd feel more comfortable trading back to get an extra 2nd and 3rd or 2nd & 4th.

Then get Turbin RB, Quick WR and Brandon Moore as a RG.
I'll add that I'm also entirely comfortable with them trading down and adding a guy like Turbin who runs like an absolute beast and is the type who can simply make defenses cry "uncle" late in a game. I'd be very happy to see them pick up a physical, bruising type of running back that can really wear down a defense in any round.
I've been on the Lamar Miller bandwagon for weeks. He'd be the perfect replacement for Frank. Another RB from the U. Frank could even mentor him.

That assumes Hill, Fleener aren't there at #30.

I also would have no problem with trading back, or with picking up a guy like Turbin in a later round.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I think the 49ers will go bpa. Also the 49ers did not draft a DL last year, so Brandon Thompson, Alan Branch could be players to watch. Wr, Cb and G may be our biggest needs but Baalke has proven to be unpredictable.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Gore
Turner
Sproles
Forte
Best
Murray
McCoy
Jacobs
Bradshaw
Bush
Charles
Foster
MJD
Rice
Hillis
Jackson

These are the reasons you don't draft a RB in the 1st

Proves nothing.

Walter Payton
Barry Saunders
Emmitt Smith
[ Edited by English on Mar 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
No thanks on a RB that early. Rb is probably one of the deepest positions in football, frank gore himself is a 3rd round pick. Gore may be close to done but we aren't in panic mode yet, plenty of time to draft someone in the mid rounds that is better than dixon, there's even a chance hunter can be an every down back.(as I said in another gore/hunter thread, he's short so his lighter weight fits differently on a smaller frame, he's not "lanky" or skinny by any means).

Just look at the depth in where top RBs are drafted.
Foster, Fred Jackson, and blount- undrafted, Hillis- 7th round, Turner 5th round, Gore in the 3rd, Rice,mccoy, forte and MJD 2nd round,

Of course there are always good 1st rounders too(they were ranked high for a reason) in Chris Johnson, Peterson, Sjax, Mcfadden, as well as recently(but with previous struggles)..mr. skittles Lynch, Mcgahee emerging this year, and one decent season from beanie wells. Ryan Mathews has struggled too but also crossed 1000 yds this year, and Reggie bush had a career year but also has struggled for a 1st rounder.

I'm a fan of the mid round rbs, or even trying to find another undrafted gem.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Proves nothing.

Walter Payton
Barry Saunders
Emmitt Smith
Lol yeah lets list off 1st rounders from way back in history. Because we're going to draft someone from one of the old-time football eras.

Roger craig was a 2nd rounder, so when was the last time the niners had a 1st round RB that did much of anything?

I listed off a few good ones who are playing now, most noteably CJ and peterson, but there are also 5-6 guys who had incredible struggles as 1st round picks. Guys like Best(tons of injury problems), Bush(also injuries), Beanie Wells(just sucked for the first few years), Lynch(sucked with the bills), Mathews(still fumbles a lot and work ethic is a questionmark), Benson(sucked with chicago, got better like 4 or 5 seasons in), Mcfadden has dealt with injuries and had 2 mediocre seasons. The list goes on.

There are just a ton of amazing runningbacks taken later than the 1st. It's not worth it unless you strike out in the mid rounds until you're desperate. We aren't desperate yet, we struck out on Coffee but Hunter seems promising. We just need someone better than Dixon, which will be very easy to do.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What about Lamar Miller (RB - Miami)?

5'10 - 3/4" 212 lbs. 4.40 40 yard dash at the combine. 1,272 yards and 9 TD's in 2011.

Gore keeps coming out of the game and missing snaps and entire series at the end of the year and in the playoffs. It's obvious his age, injuries and hits are catching up to him fast. And it won't get better IMO. It will get worse. Kendall Hunter is 5'7" 199 lbs. A change of pace back. Dixon is worthless and we need to replace him.

We need an every down back for the future. And don't come in here and say we don't need a RB.... Gore kept coming out of games at the end of the season and playoffs too. He's really hit the wall. 2 torn up knees, 2 torn up shoulders, age, injuries, tons of hits. It's catching up big time. RB is not as empahsized around the NFL as it used to be in some cases. But to our team RB is HUGE IMO. Control the clock, make our defense even better, and help Alex not have to put the whole thing on his shoulders.

I get that everbody wants Stephen Hill, Coby Fleener, and Peter Konz. But what if they are all gone? And they could be at #30. Say this guy and Streeter in the 2nd round?

I rather take my chance on Robert Turbin or Chris Polk in the later rounds. Miller is not convincing 1st round grade IMO so BPA would be better for 49ers.
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Mar 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM ]
I think we're better off looking for the next Arian Foster.

I can see your guy's POV on this but as of right now Miller will be getting 5 carries a game max. The value is just not there. If Gore went down I'm perfectly fine the rotation of Hunter and Dixon.

Originally posted by mike:
Proves nothing.

Walter Payton
Barry Saunders
Emmitt Smith
Lol yeah lets list off 1st rounders from way back in history. Because we're going to draft someone from one of the old-time football eras.

Roger craig was a 2nd rounder, so when was the last time the niners had a 1st round RB that did much of anything?

I listed off a few good ones who are playing now, most noteably CJ and peterson, but there are also 5-6 guys who had incredible struggles as 1st round picks. Guys like Best(tons of injury problems), Bush(also injuries), Beanie Wells(just sucked for the first few years), Lynch(sucked with the bills), Mathews(still fumbles a lot and work ethic is a questionmark), Benson(sucked with chicago, got better like 4 or 5 seasons in), Mcfadden has dealt with injuries and had 2 mediocre seasons. The list goes on.

There are just a ton of amazing runningbacks taken later than the 1st. It's not worth it unless you strike out in the mid rounds until you're desperate. We aren't desperate yet, we struck out on Coffee but Hunter seems promising. We just need someone better than Dixon, which will be very easy to do.

Your list proved nothing. A list of previous guys at one particular position taken in a particular round proves what, exactly? That guys taken in the future in that round will somehow miraculously also be as successful/unsuccessful?

You list a number of running backs taken later than the first who made it. If I could be bothered - and I can't - I could produce a list ten times as long, of running backs taken outside the first who didn't make it.

The point of this thread was, if the guys we want in the 1st have gone, do we take a promising looking rb. If he looks like the BPA, then yes. The history at this position/draft round is utterly irrelevant.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think we're better off looking for the next Arian Foster.

I can see your guy's POV on this but as of right now Miller will be getting 5 carries a game max. The value is just not there. If Gore went down I'm perfectly fine the rotation of Hunter and Dixon.
The only problem is undrafted guys don't put us as their first choice knowing we have 2 other very good backs to compete with. Blount chose the bucs knowing caddy williams was on his last wheels(lol). Foster only really had an injury prone Slaton to beat. If gore gets hurt a good undrafted guy may be willing to compete with hunter. But for now, Gore playing all 16 games doesn't bode well for someone coming in and having more than 5 carries a game like you said.

But the great thing about our situation is we truly are not desperate yet. We have time to try to find a mid or late round rb who can beat dixon in camp and therefore have a better chance at competing with hunter for the carries. I wouldn't think that guy would be too hard to find but "boobie" could still surprise us.
I would trade back if these guys were all gone.
You go BPA. If Hill is gone by that point, than IMO its because he has jumped wright. In that case i think wright falls into our laps. I would run to the podium at 30 for wright. I don't give two toots about combine numbers.

But to answer your question, if all the offensive playmakers with first round grades are gone then you go BPA regardless of position. We are in desperate need of some more play makers on offense, but that doesnt mean you begin to reach.

If RB is BPA on the board than you take him This scenario is very unlikely.
Your list proved nothing. A list of previous guys at one particular position taken in a particular round proves what, exactly? That guys taken in the future in that round will somehow miraculously also be as successful/unsuccessful?

You list a number of running backs taken later than the first who made it. If I could be bothered - and I can't - I could produce a list ten times as long, of running backs taken outside the first who didn't make it.

The point of this thread was, if the guys we want in the 1st have gone, do we take a promising looking rb. If he looks like the BPA, then yes. The history at this position/draft round is utterly irrelevant.

What if the BPA was a QB?
Share 49ersWebzone