There are 171 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Coby Fleener, Peter Konz. All gone by pick #30. What then?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Cordy Glenn, then if Glenn isn't there take Chase Minnifield.

Quite a few mocks I've read have the 9ers taking Glenn and that would be great. With the depth in this draft at WR and CB I would think this would be a reasonable move.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
The evidence is pretty strong against drafting RBs early at this point. Ideally I'd like to avoid picking one, even if he is BPA, until 3rd / 4th round. You just do not get the long term value here - maybe 5 - 7 years of production.

I'd trade down and go corner or a WR. I'm nowhere near as sold on a WR at 30 as everyone else. The concern I have with taking a Hill or Randle at this point is the question of whether they are NFL ready from day one. This team has shown itself to be a couple pieces away. Neither one of them have a long track record or have been running sophisticated route trees.

I think we need a good, workman like veteran at WR, one who can rub off on Crabtree and point him in the right direction. Hines Ward four years ago maybe. Braylon Edwards is not that guy at all. Reggie Wayne? Maybe. Colston? not sure.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by buck:
Much depends on what has been done in free agency.

But without knowing what we got in free agency I will assume that WR is still our biggest need.

I would take Rueben Randle or Chris Givens.

I think Randle is more a 2nd round guy. He didn't perform that great at the combine.

At this point Lamar Miller is also a second round pick. I think both Giverns and Randle are ranked a bit higher than Miller.
But, I do not think that any of the three will be there for our second round pick.

In addition, I am not convinced that staff thinks that Hunter is only "a change of pace" back.

When we drafted him a year ago,he weighed 199 lbs.

I bet that he has gained weight since then. He might be is closer to 210, than he is to 199.

Hunter and Kendall will do fine next year. We should try to replace Dixon this year.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
But Miller has size, speed and production. And unlike Kendall Hunter he can be our every down back.

I would wait until at least next year to replace Gore as we have many other needs right now. If we do replace Gore this year I am thinking we use a 3rd maybe 2nd at the earliest to do so. Maybe Doug Martin (although he will probably be gone in the 2nd). I think Hunter gets more carries and eventually it is closer to a 50/50 split than the 70/30 it is now. That should work for at least next year if not two more years. If all those guys are gone there are still CB's.... there are other WRs, maybe Cordy Glenn, otherwise trade down and pick up an extra 4th and 6/7 or extra 3rd depending on how far we trade back from 30.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Not at 30. Just don't feel RB is a priority at that spot. I agree it's time to start looking for Gore's replacement, but he still has some left in the tank. We have bigger issues.

We already had this justification in taking Hunter.
Trade down and get extra picks with Miller as the bait.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Stephon Gilmore or Andre Branch /thread. Miller will not be there at #30, but David Wilson will, but he is just another Kendall Hunter(Wilson is measured at 5'10" & 206 - in fact he is even lankier then Hunter, nearly identical weight but 3 inches taller)
trade down and get another 2nd rounder
As much as I like Fleener, I think a guy like Miller could be a total Baalke pick. It wouldn't necessarily be expected but because this team is primarily a run-the-ball-control-the-clock team, you can never have enough good RB's, especially when your feature back is aging and injury-prone. Waiting until Gore completely breaks down and falls off the wagon is waiting one season too long. Miller could make a lot of sense for them at this point in the draft, especially in the receiving game where Gore has shown a tremendous decline over the past 2 seasons.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
As much as I like Fleener, I think a guy like Miller could be a total Baalke pick. It wouldn't necessarily be expected but because this team is primarily a run-the-ball-control-the-clock team, you can never have enough good RB's, especially when your feature back is aging and injury-prone. Waiting until Gore completely breaks down and falls off the wagon is waiting one season too long. Miller could make a lot of sense for them at this point in the draft, especially in the receiving game where Gore has shown a tremendous decline over the past 2 seasons.

Agreed, I think if Miller is there he might actually trump a WR/TE - The size and speed combination that he has, 4.3 speed at 215 pounds is absolutely insane, everyone on this forum needs to come to terms with the fact that Gore will be out in a 1 or 2 max and if we could land a true protege for Gore it would be the best thing for everyone.

Yeah, there is a lot to like about Miller's game. He is faster than Gore, and can be an every down back. But there are good running backs in the later rounds.

Doug Martin
Isaiah Pead
Robert Turbin

All these guys are one-cut-and-go type runners just like Gore. They also run with their pads down into contact. Martin might be there in the second, and the other two might be available at our 3rd round pick.

I'm also intrigued by LaMichael James, who resembles a larger, faster version of Kendall Hunter. You could use them in tandem, the way New Orleans used Darreyl Sproles. Send all your receivers down field and them flare a pass out to them underneath. In free space, both of these guys could produce large YACs.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Trade down and get extra picks with Miller as the bait.

Originally posted by mebemused:
Yeah, there is a lot to like about Miller's game. He is faster than Gore, and can be an every down back. But there are good running backs in the later rounds.

Doug Martin
Isaiah Pead
Robert Turbin

All these guys are one-cut-and-go type runners just like Gore. They also run with their pads down into contact. Martin might be there in the second, and the other two might be available at our 3rd round pick.

I'm also intrigued by LaMichael James, who resembles a larger, faster version of Kendall Hunter. You could use them in tandem, the way New Orleans used Darreyl Sproles. Send all your receivers down field and them flare a pass out to them underneath. In free space, both of these guys could produce large YACs.

and this
Gore
Turner
Sproles
Forte
Best
Murray
McCoy
Jacobs
Bradshaw
Bush
Charles
Foster
MJD
Rice
Hillis
Jackson

These are the reasons you don't draft a RB in the 1st
Originally posted by Jakemall:
No RBs early this season, please...next season.

This! Crazy RB class next year
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
trade down, get MOAR picks?
Share 49ersWebzone