LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

Thoughts on a shock pick of RGIII at number 1?

• Chief
  • Veteran
Let's say for some reason the Colts pull the shock pick and take RG3 with the first pick, stranger things have happened. What team do you think it would be to jump up, the Redskins, Vikings, Dolphins? Or would the Rams stay at 2?
[ Edited by Chief on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM ]
same teams

rams wont stay at 2 though too much money in bradford without an out
Originally posted by Chief:
Let's say for some reason the Colts pull the shock pick and take RG3 with the first pick, stranger things have happened. What team do you think it would be to jump up, the Redskins, Vikings, Dolphins? Or would the Rams stay at 2?
I dont thing the Vikings would really try to move up 1 pick. Theyre big on Ponder and I think would be happy to take Kalil or Blackmon. If I were teams trying to trade up to get Luck Id be talking to the Vikings since the Rams would obviously not take Luck.
Rams trade and get a bundle of picks, probablt Cleveland BUT Snyder is not to be underestimated as far as outlandish moves. Ex. 100 Million to Fat Albert.
There is not even a 1% chance of that happening. Luck is the best QB prospect in 15 years. RG3 is good though. Very good. Certainly they could easily go 1 and 2.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is not even a 1% chance of that happening. Luck is the best QB prospect in 15 years. RG3 is good though. Very good. Certainly they could easily go 1 and 2.

Not everyone agrees with you on this and it takes just one GM mancrush.
I would understand RG3 at the first pick if Luck wasn't so damn athletically talented...but he is so Luck >>> RG3 even though Harbaugh wanted RG3 also.
From my understanding,the draft could actually start happening before April 23rd. The Colts can neogitate and sign the number one pick before the draft. This has happened before, and would put Cleveland on the clock at the number 2 pick.

It seems like the Colts are not even playing the what if game, they know Luck is their guy and everything else is not even worth charading about.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The Luck vs. RG3 debate seems like more media hype than substance. As a prospect, Luck is unquestionably better.

One guy did it for multiple years, one guy did it for one. One guy played in a pro style offense and dominated, the other guy played in a spread.

Both will be great pros. And of course the Colts should at least have the conversation. But there is no chance of RG3 going #1.

However, in your scenario. I think the Rams would stay put and take Luck. The draft produces Michael Vick-esque QBs every few years. But rarely does it product a prospect like Luck. The Rams would find some way to rid themselves of Bradford, even if it meant a heavy cap hit.
Share 49ersWebzone