LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Post combine mock v1

Is there really not one 3-4 NT worthy of a 1st round pick in this draft?

Also, I'm thinking the Niners could shock it again. Fleener wouldn't suprise me, a WR would. Based on everything that I'm reading there doesn't seem to be a WR that really stands out from the pack. I could see this being a very similar year to the one DJackson was drafted; no wr taken in the 1st. Stephen Hill is interesting, but I dont think you draft a guy with your 1st pick if he only had 29 catches, regardless of the offensive scheme.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Also, I'm thinking the Niners could shock it again. Fleener wouldn't suprise me, a WR would. Based on everything that I'm reading there doesn't seem to be a WR that really stands out from the pack. I could see this being a very similar year to the one DJackson was drafted; no wr taken in the 1st. Stephen Hill is interesting, but I dont think you draft a guy with your 1st pick if he only had 29 catches, regardless of the offensive scheme.

thats in terms of an elite WR where we ahve no chance of getting

where were picking theyre many guys (floyd-trade up though, hill, wright and even radle)
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

thats in terms of an elite WR where we ahve no chance of getting

where were picking theyre many guys (floyd-trade up though, hill, wright and even radle)

It will be interesting to see how the flood of FA Wrs impacts this draft. We might be able to land some quality talent with the second pick.

Poe, but he'll be gone. Ta'Amu seemed like he was worthy of a first round pick but it sounds like hes slipped.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Poe, but he'll be gone. Ta'Amu seemed like he was worthy of a first round pick but it sounds like hes slipped.

Poor combine?

Edit: nevermind
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM ]
The only way I'm selecting Fleener is if there's a receiver in rounds 2-7 that we're gaga about. I just think the better move is to trade up and get Wright, Hill, Floyd.

Now if you can land Fleener and a legit receiver that might change my opinion.
I guess I'm not getting the Fleener thing. We already have a good TE combo which was underutilized and supposedly created the "mismatches" people keep saying we'd have with Fleener. Shouldn't we look to other (numerous) areas of greater need with a first round choice?
I got no problem with Fleener......I think it's exactly what we need. We can get the WR in the second or third round.
JH will take Fleener. Why? Look at the team including the practice squad and count how many of those guys are from stanford. JH has serious love for his players. And Fleener is the best Stnaford player available by #30 so he will take him. No doubt he wants Luck, Decastro and Martin on the team too. He'd reunite his Stanford team if he could lol. Im sure everyone saw what he said about Doug Baldwin and read the article about missing out on Owen Maric (or however its spelled). lol. But thats JH for you. (Dont be surprised if we get Chris Owusu on the team too if he goes undrafted)
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The only way I'm selecting Fleener is if there's a receiver in rounds 2-7 that we're gaga about. I just think the better move is to trade up and get Wright, Hill, Floyd.

Now if you can land Fleener and a legit receiver that might change my opinion.

Wright is not worth trading up for. We can probably get him at #30 as he's coming off a terrible combine.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM ]

Dontari Poe is the only legit NT that's a 1st round prospect. Alameda Ta'amu might be taken at the end of the 1st or top of the 2nd.

I was hoping we would have a chance at Poe, but it's not happening now as a result of his incredible Combine. I'd say he may even go top 15. KC, Dallas need an NT, too. Still, Ta'Amu could be a target in the third if he drops that far. Ian Williams was UDFA so we could use some upgrade in talent behind Ice. I think Ice is a FA next year.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Poor combine?

Edit: nevermind

I really don't believe in this pigeon-holing. We have a bunch of 4-3 college players. Ray Mac's strengths were better suited for a 4-3, same with Ice's, and Smith's. It's all about size, explosion and how you use them.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I guess I'm not getting the Fleener thing. We already have a good TE combo which was underutilized and supposedly created the "mismatches" people keep saying we'd have with Fleener. Shouldn't we look to other (numerous) areas of greater need with a first round choice?

IMO, Harbaugh's full offense was never really installed last year. If you go back to his days at Stanford, he actually ran a ton of 3 TE sets, bigger bodies that helpd both in the run game and in creating the mismatches in the secondary that you mention. IMO, drafting Fleener gives Alex 3 legit weapons at the TE position (typically a QBs best friend) and it sets us up nicely for 2013 when Walker becomes a free agent.

Now, if there was a game-changing WR available at #30, I say we go in that direction. But the odds are that Fleener (who JH knows and trusts and who already knows this system) will more likely be able to produce in all phases of this offense more so than a rookie WR (who are notoriously slow to develop).

Speaking of WRs, I think we're better off:

1.) Drafting Fleener
2.) Re-signing Morgan
3.) Signing a mid-tier veteran like Meachem, Garcon, L. Robinson, E. Doucet, etc.
4.) Drafting a speedster/special teamer like T.J. Graham, Chris Owusu, Joe Adams, Chris Rainey, Chris Givens, Kashif Moore, etc. later

Now you have these types of weapons at your disposal. No, it's not the Packers, Saints or even the Steelers, but that's really not our offense anyway. This offense is predicated on punching you in the face, then taking advantage of mismatches in the secondary.

WR
Michael Crabtree (possession guy)
(FA) Robert Meachem (legit vertical threat)
(FA) Josh Morgan (3rd WR)
Kyle Williams (2nd chance)
(R) Joe Adams (KR/PR, trick play guy)

TE
Vernon Davis (pro-bowler)
Delanie Walker (free agent in 2013)
(R) Coby Fleener (big target, already knows the offense)
Originally posted by mayo49:
Wright is not worth trading up for. We can probably get him at #30 as he's coming off a terrible combine.

Most clubs actually understand that there's flaws in how 40 times are measured, and consider the hand times as well. 4.45, 4.51 is not a bad number. His combine wasn't as bad as people are making it to be. I think the sloppy route running is more of a concern than his actual numbers.
Share 49ersWebzone