LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago updated Mock Draft - Post Combine

Someone is going to reach on Stephen Hill...I just hope it's not us...

It's actually ridiculous to think a 40 time and catching a few balls at the combine have moved this guy from a 3rd rounders to a borderline 1st.

Listen, he may end up being good in the NFL but the best franchises don't draft risky players like this int he 1st round. I hope we can trade back and get some more picks.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by davidboutte:
1. We agree on Hill. His stock is high and the Patriots could take him before us. Our need at WR is so glaring we have to address it early if a potential game changer is available. Hill is the type of player a defense will have to account for.

2. I disagree on Crick. His best season had a whole lot to do with his teammate Ndomakong Suh. I do think we need another DE to rotate this year but I prefer other prospects.

3. I love L James but i think he will be long gone by the 3rd and he plays alot like Kendall Hunter. If we select a RB I think it should be a bruiser.

4. McNutt in the 4th would be awesome

5. Either CB in the 5th would be great but I think we will address that position earlier, perhaps 3rd

6. Agree

7. Again, I think OG will get addressed earlier but i have no problem with that selection

Overall, I'd be stoked if we landed those 7 players
I actually labored a bit on this (highlighted). I really think we need a short yardage head banger but I didn't see one worth drafting. Perhaps we will bring one in as a undrafted rookie to replace Dixon. But we do need another RB. Gore don't have many starts left in his body.

I cant disagree on that. And James is a bigtime talent....If he drops to the 3rd, every team has made a mistake IMO
Stephen Hill .....guy is super-RAW but he's everything we need in a WR, size and Speed. Just a little concerned that he doesn't run too many routes.

We also need a tall TE - 6 6 and above. I guarantee we take a TE in the draft and I hope it's fleener. I think we can get the big WR in the second or third round.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Stephen Hill .....guy is super-RAW but he's everything we need in a WR, size and Speed. Just a little concerned that he doesn't run too many routes.

We also need a tall TE - 6 6 and above. I guarantee we take a TE in the draft and I hope it's fleener. I think we can get the big WR in the second or third round.
I don't mind a TE, just not in the 1st. And Fleener will be gone by pick 30.

Someone is going to reach on Stephen Hill...I just hope it's not us...It's actually ridiculous to think a 40 time and catching a few balls at the combine have moved this guy from a 3rd rounders to a borderline 1st.Listen, he may end up being good in the NFL but the best franchises don't draft risky players like this int he 1st round. I hope we can trade back and get some more picks.
Hill late in the first is not a reach. Like I said earlier, had Hill played at a school with a wide open offense the talk on him would be top 10 or 15 pick. Because of the offense he played in he had to put up good numbers at the combine. Before then he was still considered a late 2nd, early 3rd. There are no guarantees when it comes to the draft (see Crabtree). I have nothing against moving back for picks, but we really don't need to. We don't have a bunch of holes to fill. We are just a few peaces away from getting back to the SB. So this year I am not a fan of trading back for picks.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

I don't mind a TE, just not in the 1st. And Fleener will be gone by pick 30.

Someone is going to reach on Stephen Hill...I just hope it's not us...It's actually ridiculous to think a 40 time and catching a few balls at the combine have moved this guy from a 3rd rounders to a borderline 1st.Listen, he may end up being good in the NFL but the best franchises don't draft risky players like this int he 1st round. I hope we can trade back and get some more picks.
Hill late in the first is not a reach. Like I said earlier, had Hill played at a school with a wide open offense the talk on him would be top 10 or 15 pick. Because of the offense he played in he had to put up good numbers at the combine. Before then he was still considered a late 2nd, early 3rd. There are no guarantees when it comes to the draft (see Crabtree). I have nothing against moving back for picks, but we really don't need to. We don't have a bunch of holes to fill. We are just a few peaces away from getting back to the SB. So this year I am not a fan of trading back for picks.

Not a fan of trading back either ninerlifer

Love the mock.. I hope Crick will be there when we pick. He is a stud. And he did remind me of Justin Smith.

Hill made me a fan instantly watching him at the combine. I want him at 30.

Good mock brotha in Chicago
Big fan of Jared Crick also.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
After watching the combine I still would like to see the 49ers take a WR in the first. At pick 30 there will still be WR's available worthy of 1st round selection in my mind. But I also think we can get could get a better-than-"good value" WR as late as the 4th. But we have a WR hole that cannot be glossed over:

1st – I still say WR here. Stephan Hill, Georgia Tech. I think his combine performance really pushed his stock up. At 6-4, 215lbs, he ran a 4.36 in the 40, 39.5 in the vertical, 11-1 in the broad jump, and a 9.3/8 in the hand – a rare combo of size, strength, and speed. He can take the top off a defense in a hurry. I know I have been big on Sanu but Hill really showed me he's worthy of our 1st round pick. If Hill is available to us at 30 we should take him.

2nd – Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska. Just look at the tape of this guy. He has Justin Smith written all over him, and Smith isn't getting younger. I wouldn't be surprised if a team selected him late in the first. But he had a torn pectoral that prevented him from participating in the combine but I still don't see him getting out the 2nd.

If he's gone (or if we don't trade up to get Crick) I say George Iloka, FS, Boise State. If we have to franchise Goldson we have to think about a possible replacement for him for 2013.

3rd – LaMichael James, RB, Oregon. Good steed but I'd like to see him get up to 200lbs at least. If he's gone I'd say Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State.

4th – Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa. At first I wanted Jeff Fuller here, but McNutt has better hands.

5th – Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State. If he can get healthy for his pro day he would be a steal here. If not then Micah Pellerin, CB, Hampton.

6th – Tank Carder, OLB, TCU. High ceiling. The perfect "project" guy.

7th – Kevious Wilkins, OG, South Carolina. I still like this kid here. Trust me, he will push somebody for a roster spot.

Thoughts?

1. Big fan of the Hill pick, sounds like we are doing our due diligence on Kendall Wright though so I would agree that at this point it will either be Hill or Wright at this pick.

2. Finally another person who wants Crick in the 2nd. But he did participate in the combine, just not the bench press or 60 yard shuttle, and in fact he had the best vertical, a 4.95 40(top 15 or 20), a 104" long jump, a 7.47 3 cone drill(top 5), a 4.40 20 yard shuttle(tied Vinny Curry for 1st). His workout at the combine and at his pro day could boost his stock back into early 2nd but I dont see that happening with the likes of Coples, Ingram, Perry, Brockers, Still, Poe, Thompson, Winn, Mercilus, Branch, and Cox all getting buzzed about as 1st or 2nd round DT/DE/OLB prospects. I probably even missed a couple of names too.

3. At round 3 I would think we would take Robert Turbin if he were available, he's a true north and south runner with great vision, James would be a great talent but I dont see JH going small in the post Frank Gore Era, no way our top 2 backs weigh less then 200 each(I think Hunter weighs 205 after this season).

4. McNutt has gotten lost in the shuffle for me, drafting 2 WRs shows me 1 thing, With Crabtree and Williams the only ones under contract you are either assuming we wont resign Morgan and/or Ginn. dont see us spending 2 draft picks on a WR unless the 2nd pick has very good value as KR. Crabtree, Hill/Wright, Morgan, 2nd draft choice/ginn, followed by the winners of Williams, Bogan, Matthews, and any other UDFAs for the #5 gig. IMO I'd like Joe Adams, Eric Page, Keshawn Martin, someone with value as KR here, but as far as "bigger" guys go I'd say McNutt, Fuller, or Posey would be great picks as well.

5. Love this pick, Bolden is a great long term developmental prospect to build up in a competition with Curtis Holcomb.

6. I've seen Carder with a 3rd or 4th round grade and as I've been knocked for liking undersized guys I've got to do the same, Carder is a measly 6'2 235, so Fangio would have to find a gimmick for him to be able to play any significant time for us. I'd even go as far as to say that Carder is a better fit in a 43 rather than a 34. Jaquies Smith, Miles Burress or Darius Fleming would be realistic and better options at this point IMO.

7. I'm sure someone else has corrected you but its Rokevious Watkins and I would be very stoked to get him this late, not sure when he is supposed to go but this seems about right.

All in all very great mock, and I would be very happy with it.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM ]
Hill impressed at the combine...but, does that mean he's really a 1st rd pick? I'm not so sure. Speed is great...but sometimes that's not enough. I'd rather have Fleener, 'cause I know he can catch. Something about him bookending Vernon that is sure to drive opposing DC's nuts. Talk about a RZ target, too. Love Crick, agree, he's the right guy to understudy JS. James is too small for what Harbaugh wants, which is a 2220-225 lb RB who runs north-south. Doug Martin would fill the bill. Also think Baalke/Harbaugh will take an OG earlier...think they both know Snyder (if re-signed) isn't good enough.
Lets not give up on Kilgore who we drafted last year, who impressed in TC this year, for the ones that want to go high and draft a OG.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Hill impressed at the combine...but, does that mean he's really a 1st rd pick? I'm not so sure. Speed is great...but sometimes that's not enough. I'd rather have Fleener, 'cause I know he can catch. Something about him bookending Vernon that is sure to drive opposing DC's nuts. Talk about a RZ target, too. Love Crick, agree, he's the right guy to understudy JS. James is too small for what Harbaugh wants, which is a 2220-225 lb RB who runs north-south. Doug Martin would fill the bill. Also think Baalke/Harbaugh will take an OG earlier...think they both know Snyder (if re-signed) isn't good enough.

I've seen talking head/"expert" chatter that has him as a fringe 1st rounder(close enough for us to justify picking him) as well as others saying he is a still a late second rounder prospect(specifically, a viable option for us at #60). Until I see more concrete evidence that he has become a 1st round talent I would like assume that he has only boosted his stock a full round from the late 3rd to the late 2nd range.

I think after Alshon Jeffery's and Kendall Wright's pro-days we will see a concrete placement for Hill. If he can duplicate the 4.3 speed and Alshon runs a 4.6 or higher I could see Hill becoming a definite top 40 pick.

Originally posted by sfout:
I've seen talking head/"expert" chatter that has him as a fringe 1st rounder(close enough for us to justify picking him) as well as others saying he is a still a late second rounder prospect(specifically, a viable option for us at #60). Until I see more concrete evidence that he has become a 1st round talent I would like assume that he has only boosted his stock a full round from the late 3rd to the late 2nd range.

I think after Alshon Jeffery's and Kendall Wright's pro-days we will see a concrete placement for Hill. If he can duplicate the 4.3 speed and Alshon runs a 4.6 or higher I could see Hill becoming a definite top 40 pick.

Yeah, I'm waiting on the pro-day, but I doubt Hill's numbers will be any different than the combine. many guys do better at their pro-day than the combine.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Yeah, I'm waiting on the pro-day, but I doubt Hill's numbers will be any different than the combine. many guys do better at their pro-day than the combine.

Yea he'll kill it at his proday, especially since they will probably do the 40 at their more than likely indoor practice facility(Assuming that their program has an indoor facility because my lowly Utes have had one since they were in the WAC. lol)
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
[Highlighted]
So I guess Hill can't catch a cold. I Like Fleener. For us, the TE position is a luxury pick. We just don't need one - not in the first. Its not just Hills speed. Blocking. Strength. Hands. And yes, speed. Doug Martin is no Stephen Hill. It amazes me how so many are satisfied with just "filling the bill" when
it comes to WR (a real need) but seem to want to draft the Cadillac of TE's, a position we don't need and where we are already strong. Amazing.
Originally posted by sfout:

Yea he'll kill it at his proday, especially since they will probably do the 40 at their more than likely indoor practice facility(Assuming that their program has an indoor facility because my lowly Utes have had one since they were in the WAC. lol)

He probably will not run the 40 at his Pro Day. Guys who kill it at the Combine usually stand on their numbers and just do the football stuff at their Pro Days. There's more to lose than there is to gain by running again.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
He probably will not run the 40 at his Pro Day. Guys who kill it at the Combine usually stand on their numbers and just do the football stuff at their Pro Days. There's more to lose than there is to gain by running again.

yea good point. Oh well I bet he is worth our 30th pick when all is said and done.
Share 49ersWebzone