Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
After watching the combine I still would like to see the 49ers take a WR in the first. At pick 30 there will still be WR's available worthy of 1st round selection in my mind. But I also think we can get could get a better-than-"good value" WR as late as the 4th. But we have a WR hole that cannot be glossed over:
1st – I still say WR here. Stephan Hill, Georgia Tech. I think his combine performance really pushed his stock up. At 6-4, 215lbs, he ran a 4.36 in the 40, 39.5 in the vertical, 11-1 in the broad jump, and a 9.3/8 in the hand – a rare combo of size, strength, and speed. He can take the top off a defense in a hurry. I know I have been big on Sanu but Hill really showed me he's worthy of our 1st round pick. If Hill is available to us at 30 we should take him.
2nd – Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska. Just look at the tape of this guy. He has Justin Smith written all over him, and Smith isn't getting younger. I wouldn't be surprised if a team selected him late in the first. But he had a torn pectoral that prevented him from participating in the combine but I still don't see him getting out the 2nd.
If he's gone (or if we don't trade up to get Crick) I say George Iloka, FS, Boise State. If we have to franchise Goldson we have to think about a possible replacement for him for 2013.
3rd – LaMichael James, RB, Oregon. Good steed but I'd like to see him get up to 200lbs at least. If he's gone I'd say Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State.
4th – Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa. At first I wanted Jeff Fuller here, but McNutt has better hands.
5th – Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State. If he can get healthy for his pro day he would be a steal here. If not then Micah Pellerin, CB, Hampton.
6th – Tank Carder, OLB, TCU. High ceiling. The perfect "project" guy.
7th – Kevious Wilkins, OG, South Carolina. I still like this kid here. Trust me, he will push somebody for a roster spot.
1. Big fan of the Hill pick, sounds like we are doing our due diligence on Kendall Wright though so I would agree that at this point it will either be Hill or Wright at this pick.
2. Finally another person who wants Crick in the 2nd. But he did participate in the combine, just not the bench press or 60 yard shuttle, and in fact he had the best vertical, a 4.95 40(top 15 or 20), a 104" long jump, a 7.47 3 cone drill(top 5), a 4.40 20 yard shuttle(tied Vinny Curry for 1st). His workout at the combine and at his pro day could boost his stock back into early 2nd but I dont see that happening with the likes of Coples, Ingram, Perry, Brockers, Still, Poe, Thompson, Winn, Mercilus, Branch, and Cox all getting buzzed about as 1st or 2nd round DT/DE/OLB prospects. I probably even missed a couple of names too.
3. At round 3 I would think we would take Robert Turbin if he were available, he's a true north and south runner with great vision, James would be a great talent but I dont see JH going small in the post Frank Gore Era, no way our top 2 backs weigh less then 200 each(I think Hunter weighs 205 after this season).
4. McNutt has gotten lost in the shuffle for me, drafting 2 WRs shows me 1 thing, With Crabtree and Williams the only ones under contract you are either assuming we wont resign Morgan and/or Ginn. dont see us spending 2 draft picks on a WR unless the 2nd pick has very good value as KR. Crabtree, Hill/Wright, Morgan, 2nd draft choice/ginn, followed by the winners of Williams, Bogan, Matthews, and any other UDFAs for the #5 gig. IMO I'd like Joe Adams, Eric Page, Keshawn Martin, someone with value as KR here, but as far as "bigger" guys go I'd say McNutt, Fuller, or Posey would be great picks as well.
5. Love this pick, Bolden is a great long term developmental prospect to build up in a competition with Curtis Holcomb.
6. I've seen Carder with a 3rd or 4th round grade and as I've been knocked for liking undersized guys I've got to do the same, Carder is a measly 6'2 235, so Fangio would have to find a gimmick for him to be able to play any significant time for us. I'd even go as far as to say that Carder is a better fit in a 43 rather than a 34. Jaquies Smith, Miles Burress or Darius Fleming would be realistic and better options at this point IMO.
7. I'm sure someone else has corrected you but its Rokevious Watkins and I would be very stoked to get him this late, not sure when he is supposed to go but this seems about right.
All in all very great mock, and I would be very happy with it.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM ]