There are 360 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago updated Mock Draft - Post Combine

Change Hill to Wright and its a great mock
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
So are you basing your first round pick exclusively on workout numbers? Can you think of many examples where that has worked out well?

No, I am not going off combine numbers, but it did push it over the top for me. I am still big on Sanu, but I think Hill would present more problems for the defense than can Sanu in my mind.

Then why DO you like Hill? I only ask because I'm not sure that I've seen anything outside of workout numbers that suggest he's a first rounder

Before the combine, Hill was a mid to late second round pick, maybe even as low as an early third.

He played in a run first,second, and third offense. He had only 28 catches, but got 820 yards with 5 scores.

That is an average of 29.29 yards a catch, which in some ways correlate to the obscene numbers he put up at the combine.

He looked very good in the wide receiver drills.

He has pushed himself into serious first round consideration, at least high enough for us to consider taking him in the first. .
Originally posted by buck:
So are you basing your first round pick exclusively on workout numbers? Can you think of many examples where that has worked out well?

No, I am not going off combine numbers, but it did push it over the top for me. I am still big on Sanu, but I think Hill would present more problems for the defense than can Sanu in my mind.

Then why DO you like Hill? I only ask because I'm not sure that I've seen anything outside of workout numbers that suggest he's a first rounder

Before the combine, Hill was a mid to late second round pick, maybe even as low as an early third.

He played in a run first,second, and third offense. He had only 28 catches, but got 820 yards with 5 scores.

That is an average of 29.29 yards a catch, which in some ways correlate to the obscene numbers he put up at the combine.

He has pushed himself into serious first round consideration, at least high enough for us to consider taking him in the first. .
Exactly!
His combine really made a lot of scouts reconsider his value. The fact that he was even considered a 3rd rounder at first speaks the his skills given that he played in a system not so friendly to WR's. Before the combine I considered him a late 2nd. But his combine #'s pushed him over Sanu for me. Again, if this guy played at Alabama, LSU, Florida, USC, Arkansas, or Stanford, he would be an unquestioned top 10 choice.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Change Hill to Wright and its a great mock
Not realistic. Wright will be long gone by the time we pick.
very nice mock
would love hill and crick....not sure i like james much but i think we need a rb this year. i love gore but this has most likely got to be his last year. i just dont see him lasting a full year. i am a huge supporter of hunter but it is yet to be seen if he can be a #1 back. we cant wait to draft a rb next year and have them start.
1. We agree on Hill. His stock is high and the Patriots could take him before us. Our need at WR is so glaring we have to address it early if a potential game changer is available. Hill is the type of player a defense will have to account for.

2. I disagree on Crick. His best season had a whole lot to do with his teammate Ndomakong Suh. I do think we need another DE to rotate this year but I prefer other prospects.

3. I love L James but i think he will be long gone by the 3rd and he plays alot like Kendall Hunter. If we select a RB I think it should be a bruiser.

4. McNutt in the 4th would be awesome

5. Either CB in the 5th would be great but I think we will address that position earlier, perhaps 3rd

6. Agree

7. Again, I think OG will get addressed earlier but i have no problem with that selection

Overall, I'd be stoked if we landed those 7 players
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I'd be okay w/Hill, Fleener, or a high-talent BPA that fell due to need. I do not want a small RB at all, and I don't want a safety in before the third day. I know we will need some safety depth, but next year's class at S and RB is insane, and this year is terrible. I'd rather take Quick at 3, go G mid-rounds, and grab Elvis in the 7th. Seems like the WR value is late w/the crazy depth at the position this year. The high end is not so impressive. Hill is a freak, no doubt, but he is a risk as high as he would need to be taken. He could be amazing, and I said I'd be cool w/it, but I'd be just as good w/Quick in the 3rd.
You are right aboout S and RB next year, but safety is a real concern once/if we franchise Goldson. If we miss on Crick getting Iloka this year and gromming him for a possible Goldson replacement for 2013 is vital. He is regarded as the best FS coming out, and he is in that Goldson mold. And I hear you on the small RB thing. But there is a huge upside to LaMichael James. He'll have to gains a few pounds at the NFL level because his running style. He's a shifty back that avoids tackles very well but he will get hit a lot harder and more often in the NFL. I have no problem with Quick in the third, just not for us. I'm not comfortable with waiting til the 3rd to pick a WR. Is it "good value", yeah. But our need for WR is more urgent than that.
Originally posted by buck:

Exactly!
His combine really made a lot of scouts reconsider his value. The fact that he was even considered a 3rd rounder at first speaks the his skills given that he played in a system not so friendly to WR's. Before the combine I considered him a late 2nd. But his combine #'s pushed him over Sanu for me. Again, if this guy played at Alabama, LSU, Florida, USC, Arkansas, or Stanford, he would be an unquestioned top 10 choice.

These are fair arguments. I still don't write off the production to system, because others have had better numbers in that system in recent years, but yeah, I could appreciate the argument of his combine numbers pushing him a bit higher. Top 10 pick with a bigger program tho? Not sure about all that. But hey, that's just all speculation on this point
Originally posted by davidboutte:
1. We agree on Hill. His stock is high and the Patriots could take him before us. Our need at WR is so glaring we have to address it early if a potential game changer is available. Hill is the type of player a defense will have to account for.

2. I disagree on Crick. His best season had a whole lot to do with his teammate Ndomakong Suh. I do think we need another DE to rotate this year but I prefer other prospects.

3. I love L James but i think he will be long gone by the 3rd and he plays alot like Kendall Hunter. If we select a RB I think it should be a bruiser.

4. McNutt in the 4th would be awesome

5. Either CB in the 5th would be great but I think we will address that position earlier, perhaps 3rd

6. Agree

7. Again, I think OG will get addressed earlier but i have no problem with that selection

Overall, I'd be stoked if we landed those 7 players
I actually labored a bit on this (highlighted). I really think we need a short yardage head banger but I didn't see one worth drafting. Perhaps we will bring one in as a undrafted rookie to replace Dixon. But we do need another RB. Gore don't have many starts left in his body.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Good mock OP.
Good draft.

FA will dictate a lot.

I think, based on last year and his time at Stanford, JH is a run first coach then when it work open up the pass game to slice & dice. Not having receivers who can get seperation was our major offensive flaw. I think Fleener in the first gives us a blocker for the run game, a receiver for the pass game and a player who will transition to the NFL very quicly.

Realy like Crick in thhe 2ndd - I don't thinnk he'll be there when we select.

James would be steal in the 3rd. I think we need RG - which was our 2nd major weakness on offense. I'd like Brandon Brooks 6'5" 320 Miami. We will need to fix tthat position fast. Cardinals, Seattle both have up & coming D lines and many mocks have them getting pass rushers.

I am a real fan of McNutt and he won't be there in thhe 4th. I feel someone willl take him in late the 2nd or early 3rd.

Bolden is a solid player, college injuries always concern me.

Thanks for the work.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good draft.

FA will dictate a lot.

I think, based on last year and his time at Stanford, JH is a run first coach then when it work open up the pass game to slice & dice. Not having receivers who can get seperation was our major offensive flaw. I think Fleener in the first gives us a blocker for the run game, a receiver for the pass game and a player who will transition to the NFL very quicly.

Realy like Crick in thhe 2ndd - I don't thinnk he'll be there when we select.

James would be steal in the 3rd. I think we need RG - which was our 2nd major weakness on offense. I'd like Brandon Brooks 6'5" 320 Miami. We will need to fix tthat position fast. Cardinals, Seattle both have up & coming D lines and many mocks have them getting pass rushers.

I am a real fan of McNutt and he won't be there in thhe 4th. I feel someone willl take him in late the 2nd or early 3rd.

Bolden is a solid player, college injuries always concern me.

Thanks for the work.
I seriously doubt Fleener will be there at 30. But I am NOT a big fan at all of taking Fleener in the first, and I will never be. We don't need anymore double-duty TE's, we have three of them already. I think JH knows he's not at Stanford. He's in the NFL. It's OK to be a run-first team, but you must have at least the ability to consistantly get the ball down field, and you cannot do that with a bunch of TE's. Having a run-first mentality with good TE's but more real threat at WR makes you a dink-&-dunk offense. NFL defensive schemes are just too advanced to allow teams to consistantly beat them with TE's running underneath and seam routs all game. I am not doubting Fleener's abilities, I'm just saying he is not what we need. We need a big WR with the speed to take the top off the defense with the physicality to gain seperation at the point of attack and fight off a jam, who can get himself open. A WR like that will make our TE's even more dangerous.
Nice mock and i really like the pick of the safety from Boise State.
I like Hill but i just hope he is not a work out wonder... There is no really good film on him in college due to the triple option.. But hopefully we can bring him in for a work out and try him vs a pro defense and see how he handles releasing off jams or even press coverage..I also like Sanu from rutgers.. but the knock on him is he cant seperate vs corners.. I saw to games at rutgers last season when he is open he is great but can he get open on next level.. Im a big fan of marvin jones as well from Cal.. played in a pro style offense should help..
Share 49ersWebzone