There are 222 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago updated Mock Draft - Post Combine

After watching the combine I still would like to see the 49ers take a WR in the first. At pick 30 there will still be WR's available worthy of 1st round selection in my mind. But I also think we can get could get a better-than-"good value" WR as late as the 4th. But we have a WR hole that cannot be glossed over:

1st – I still say WR here. Stephan Hill, Georgia Tech. I think his combine performance really pushed his stock up. At 6-4, 215lbs, he ran a 4.36 in the 40, 39.5 in the vertical, 11-1 in the broad jump, and a 9.3/8 in the hand – a rare combo of size, strength, and speed. He can take the top off a defense in a hurry. I know I have been big on Sanu but Hill really showed me he's worthy of our 1st round pick. If Hill is available to us at 30 we should take him.

2nd – Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska. Just look at the tape of this guy. He has Justin Smith written all over him, and Smith isn't getting younger. I wouldn't be surprised if a team selected him late in the first. But he had a torn pectoral that prevented him from participating in the combine but I still don't see him getting out the 2nd.

If he's gone (or if we don't trade up to get Crick) I say George Iloka, FS, Boise State. If we have to franchise Goldson we have to think about a possible replacement for him for 2013.

3rd – LaMichael James, RB, Oregon. Good steed but I'd like to see him get up to 200lbs at least. If he's gone I'd say Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State.

4th – Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa. At first I wanted Jeff Fuller here, but McNutt has better hands.

5th – Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State. If he can get healthy for his pro day he would be a steal here. If not then Micah Pellerin, CB, Hampton.

6th – Tank Carder, OLB, TCU. High ceiling. The perfect "project" guy.

7th – Kevious Wilkins, OG, South Carolina. I still like this kid here. Trust me, he will push somebody for a roster spot.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:08 AM ]
like the mock would rather have someone else instead

we can get a RB next years draft witht he exception of richardson any RB in this draft would be a 3rd rounder in next years class
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
like the mock would rather have someone else instead

we can get a RB next years draft witht he exception of richardson any RB in this draft would be a 3rd rounder in next years class
I feel you there. But Gore has about two years left in his body. Hunter looks to be the air apparent. I still say we need to get a real head-banger short yardage guy, but I really think Bruce Miller can fill that role at least until we can find one. Dixon has thoroughly disappointed.
So are you basing your first round pick exclusively on workout numbers? Can you think of many examples where that has worked out well?
Nice mock
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
So are you basing your first round pick exclusively on workout numbers? Can you think of many examples where that has worked out well?

No, I am not going off combine numbers, but it did push it over the top for me. I am still big on Sanu, but I think Hill would present more problems for the defense than can Sanu in my mind.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
No, I am not going off combine numbers, but it did push it over the top for me. I am still big on Sanu, but I think Hill would present more problems for the defense than can Sanu in my mind.

does anyone not realize hill was in a run happy offense

verenon davis calvin johnson to name 2
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

verenon davis calvin johnson to name 2

Both had college production. CJ had EVERYTHING. Game speed, size, jump ball ability, rediculous hands, toughness, college production, etc etc etc. VD also had good TE numbers in college.

Then why DO you like Hill? I only ask because I'm not sure that I've seen anything outside of workout numbers that suggest he's a first rounder

Then why DO you like Hill? I only ask because I'm not sure that I've seen anything outside of workout numbers that suggest he's a first rounder
Then I suggest you find some tape of him. True, he played in a run-happy scheme, so there's little of him catching. But when he gets balls his way he performs. A natural hands catcher. He's arguably the best blocking WR in the draft. Excellent leaping ablility - will be a redzone mis-match for sure, etc, etc. Go look up some game tape of him and you will see why he's looked at as a possible late 1st round selection. If this guy played in a wide open offense we would be thinking of him as a top 10 pick.

Then I suggest you find some tape of him. True, he played in a run-happy scheme, so there's little of him catching. But when he gets balls his way he performs. A natural hands catcher. He's arguably the best blocking WR in the draft. Excellent leaping ablility - will be a redzone mis-match for sure, etc, etc. Go look up some game tape of him and you will see why he's looked at as a possible late 1st round selection. If this guy played in a wide open offense we would be thinking of him as a top 10 pick.

You might be right, I'm honestly just asking. Unfortunately I don't have access to game film. I'm not really sure where one gets something like that. Luckily, YouTube has great videos for some of the prospects where they show every play the player was involved in over several games. It's quite informative. This is not the case for Hill, and thus I have not had the ability to see any of these things. All I know is that he had very limited college production (even for a run heavy system), and was not mentioned as a 1st rounder until the combine. If you have links to any videos online I would love to see them. How did you see game film? Were you actually watching the GA Tech games and watching for him? I did not do that during the season, so now I'm relying on recordings, and don't have them for GA Tech
I'd be okay w/Hill, Fleener, or a high-talent BPA that fell due to need. I do not want a small RB at all, and I don't want a safety in before the third day. I know we will need some safety depth, but next year's class at S and RB is insane, and this year is terrible. I'd rather take Quick at 3, go G mid-rounds, and grab Elvis in the 7th. Seems like the WR value is late w/the crazy depth at the position this year. The high end is not so impressive. Hill is a freak, no doubt, but he is a risk as high as he would need to be taken. He could be amazing, and I said I'd be cool w/it, but I'd be just as good w/Quick in the 3rd.
Can you imagine Kap thowing to Hill in a few years? Wow. My draw to Hill has little to do with combine numbers. His sze and speed does get me excited, but what gets me more pumped up is all the accounts the dude is willing to work on his craft. That ability with a work ethic? Come on, it could be very reminiscent of Cunningham to Moss in 98. Am I sipping the cool-aid? Okay, maybe a little lol.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Can you imagine Kap thowing to Hill in a few years? Wow. My draw to Hill has little to do with combine numbers. His sze and speed does get me excited, but what gets me more pumped up is all the accounts the dude is willing to work on his craft. That ability with a work ethic? Come on, it could be very reminiscent of Cunningham to Moss in 98. Am I sipping the cool-aid? Okay, maybe a little lol.

his physical abilities fit perfectly with this offense. Plus he is a big deep threat that secondaries will have to double.
Share 49ersWebzone