There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers Updated Post-Combine Mock Draft

this draft is ugly to me.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
this draft is ugly to me.

Explain. You're filling in needs at CB, OLB, WR, DE.....not sexy enough?
I like it....Big supporter of the trade down. Might be tough if someone they love is sitting there but...Overall I think our needs are taken into account. Its always easy to haggle over certain players selected at certain spots but I'd be happy with that haul. Several people complained about DE Kendall Reyes but I agree with that pick. He solidified himself at the combine as a borderline 1st/2nd round pick. Bottom line is McDonald and Smith cant be expected to play 100% of the snaps. If Harbaalke plan on playing Dobbs or the other young guys, great. But we zoners dont know for sure and can only speculate there is a reason we didnt see them last season. I'm not sure we will really draft 3 WR's however McNutt, Owusu and Jones all shined at the combine and I'd be happy to have any combo of 2 of those 3.....

I sure was happy to see Brooks signing, OLB is definately a secondary need now
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Explain. You're filling in needs at CB, OLB, WR, DE.....not sexy enough?

i like the payers expecially the mcnutt and jones at WR

but i think getting kendall reyes is 1st is a waste of a pick

ray mac and justin smith are both pretty durable and 3 down players were just wasting our 1st pick for a guy who will be lucky to see 10-15 snaps a game
Originally posted by davidboutte:
I like it....Big supporter of the trade down. Might be tough if someone they love is sitting there but...Overall I think our needs are taken into account. Its always easy to haggle over certain players selected at certain spots but I'd be happy with that haul. Several people complained about DE Kendall Reyes but I agree with that pick. He solidified himself at the combine as a borderline 1st/2nd round pick. Bottom line is McDonald and Smith cant be expected to play 100% of the snaps. If Harbaalke plan on playing Dobbs or the other young guys, great. But we zoners dont know for sure and can only speculate there is a reason we didnt see them last season. I'm not sure we will really draft 3 WR's however McNutt, Owusu and Jones all shined at the combine and I'd be happy to have any combo of 2 of those 3.....

I sure was happy to see Brooks signing, OLB is definately a secondary need now

I agree, a guy like Burris still makes sense for depth purposes. If Brooks had left, they'd have to spend a much earlier pick, but now they can look at depth, maybe an occasional third round guy, but not a starter which is where Burris fits.
Nice job Phoenix
You stole my idea! I was going to post something similar but we need to do a 1986 style Bill Walsh draft and trade down. There are a lot of players with similar talent and the draft is deep in WR's TE's DT and RB's you can get late.

If we can trade out of the first round and pick up another 2nd and a 4th, that is something we should do. Baalke will try something like that if there are a number of players that fall or a ton of players that have 2nd and 3rd round grades.

TE Fleener can probably be had around 40 - 50

WR Streeter or Quick in the 3rd Round

Pick up a top corner in there too.

Another DT

RB in the fourth and we are good to go.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
this a Bill Walsh-like draft and I approve

Fixed
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Can't believe you didn't take Fleener at pick 30... (because you believe he'll be gone by then?)...

What you did do is pick up a lot of good players though.

I am liking the Marvin Jones pick. It seems he has the right physical tools and the right mental makeup to really be a good player in the NFL. One of the things I can't understand is....why doesn't Crabtree call up Jerry Rice and ask him for a couple of tutoring sessions, especially how to create some extra separation? Jones seems like the kind of guy who would do that, just because he wants to get better.

Couple of things... I really don't think Josh Robinson will be there at the end of the third round. If the Niners want that guy, he will have to be their 2nd round pick...and he may even be gone by then. That's a a possibility, generally I'm looking for some additional depth at CB and there's going to be a lot of good prospects between the end of Rounds 2 and 3. Would love to have Robinson, but there's a few other guys I like as well.

Love the Burris, Thompson, and Owusu picks but not sold on McNutt, Bryan, or McClain...and here are the reasons for the latter 3...

McNutt because if the Niners bring back Morgan, get a FA WR, and draft Jones, I think they will perhaps draft a speed guy late and bring in a couple of FAs and call it a day. Doubt they will pick another big wideout then. I can see them drafting one of the top TE prospects there however...for reasons I'm sure you are aware of. I see your point but McNutt would add a physical guy to the wide receiving corps. I see him as taking more time to develop than Jones but he's got a ton of potential and seems like a hard-worker to boot.

Bryan because the team already has some good TE prospects in Byham and Reuland and I don't think Bryan is a real upgrade from those two guys. You're underrating Bryan considerably. He's a better receiver than Byham and a better blocker than Reuland. His hands are absolutely amazing, if the ball is in his hands, he's going to come down with. True sleeper prospect.

McClain because the team added both Kilgore and Person in last year's draft as depth at OG and need an OG who can start... Kilgore may or may not be that guy but I personally would like the team to either get a prospect with a bit more upside who may be able to start someday or a FA guy to come in and start at RG immediately than to just get a raw talent at this point....just my humble opinion. Always helps to develop more OL guys continually in case you end up a situation in the future where you can't re-sign a guy for whatever reason. If you can have someone chill on the bench and learn for a couple seasons, you'll be more prepared in case say Iupati walks.

Also, Burris may be on the board as last as the end of the fifth (or even the sixth) round so I think the team can wait a little and still get him. I think his stock has gone up after the combine, I don't see him lasting past the middle of the 5th. If he's the guy they want, taking him in the late 4th isn't going to be much of a reach.

Nice work overall, Phoenix.... Always enjoy your posts...

Cheers!

Put my responses in bold above. :)

Getting back to you... Like your responses regarding getting a good CB prospect in the second round, getting additional OG depth, and your reasons for drafting Bryan (hope you are right about this guy...I love steals in the later rounds... ).

However, still respectfully disagree with your case for McNutt only because Morgan, Crabtree, and even Jones are good blockers and I believe the Niners would be better served drafting for depth at another position (like RB, NT or OT, or even CB again)...

Just curious Phoenix....why didn't Fleener top your list? I know you and many others are really high on Reyes with good reason, but reading all of your reasons (all good) for drafting Fleener at 30, why not pull the trigger? Do you just think he will be gone or do you just think the team would be better with Reyes?

Cheers!
not sold on reyes.. rather have a high motor guy like crick from nebraska... Also i like both mcnutt as well as jones.. Prefer jones though
Originally posted by njniner499:
not sold on reyes.. rather have a high motor guy like crick from nebraska... Also i like both mcnutt as well as jones.. Prefer jones though

Reyes is a high motor guy, he's the definition of high motor guy.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
this a Patriots-like draft and I approve

The Pats have drafted like s**t recently...
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
You stole my idea! I was going to post something similar but we need to do a 1986 style Bill Walsh draft and trade down. There are a lot of players with similar talent and the draft is deep in WR's TE's DT and RB's you can get late.

If we can trade out of the first round and pick up another 2nd and a 4th, that is something we should do. Baalke will try something like that if there are a number of players that fall or a ton of players that have 2nd and 3rd round grades.

TE Fleener can probably be had around 40 - 50

WR Streeter or Quick in the 3rd Round

Pick up a top corner in there too.

Another DT

RB in the fourth and we are good to go.

You......are incorrect, sir.

Fleener, if not gone by the time the Niners pick, will be drafted by NY at 32 because they just lost 2 TEs with knee injuries.
I believe Fleener will be gone before we pick, so I can respect this mock. All nice additions. Still believe baalke will pick up a fa WR so not sure about the two early picks. He could get a Jeff fuller type in the 5th..6th round and coach em up.

I still want to trade up a few spots to secure fleener
Man....if both Fleener and Reyes are there at 30 (no sure thing), I'm gonna have to go with Fleener, just because he helps the team so much immediately.

However, if he is gone (Pittsburgh at 24?), then I'm all for trading down a few slots (is possible) and going after Reyes. This draft has nice depth in rounds 2-4 so getting an extra pick would be really nice.