There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers Updated Post-Combine Mock Draft

Round 1-Trade down, I know you're supposed to just do straight draft picks, but this is my mock draft and I'll do what I want damnit. Also if the Redskins don't get RG3, I think there will be pressure for them to secure the next top QB, likely Tannenhill.

Round 2(From Trade Down)-Kendall Reyes-DE-UConn-Total athletic freak, a non-stop motor, powerful bull-rusher, this is the guy who could create a dominant 3 DE rotation for the 49ers, which is important because when the DE's were getting a major push the rest of the defense looked many times better. Giving McDonald and Smith regular breathers could provide major dividends without a drop-off in performance. In time Reyes could supplant McDonald or be the eventual replacement for Justin.

Round 2-Trade Down Uno Mas.

Round 3(From Trade Down 1)-Marvin Jones-Cal-WR-He's not spectacular, but he does everything well, he's a willing blocker, he runs good routes, he's played all the WR positions, he has good leaping ability, good speed, he's just solid all around and would be a welcome contributor to the 49ers. One of the most pro-ready receivers in the draft.

Round 3(From Trade 2)-Marvin McNutt-Iowa-WR-Good size at 6-3, solid speed, good hands, two Marvin's don't make a right but they do make for a nice 49ers receiving corps.

Round 3-Josh Robinson-Central Florida-CB-Just ran the fastest combine time in the 40, impressive starter, held his own against several NFL-caliber WR's including AJ Green. Has great hips, flexibility, questions about his size....also just like Kyle Williams, don't let him return any punts.

Round 4-Miles Burris-San Diego State-OLB-Did very well at the combines, a very solid 3-4 prospect, good potential 3rd down pass-rusher.

Round 5(from Trade 2)-Christian Thompson-South Carolina St-FS-A Harbaugh special, very raw, athletic, good ceiling, small school guy who could provide depth and maybe be an asset to special teams as well.

Round 5-George Bryan-NC State-TE-Didn't show at the combine, a strong-handed receiver, not fast, but hands are like glue, catches everything with-in reach near him, a very good blocker, not fast, but has good physical size.

Round 6-Antoine McClain-Clemson-OG-Big physical guard, didn't do so hot at the combines but has the raw talent that can be molded and at least be used for depth.

Round 7-Chris Owusu-Stanford-WR-Too good to not get picked, concussion worries will drop him way down the boards and possibly out of the draft however he is very familiar with this offense and with Harbaugh and could be additional solid depth at WR that this team so badly needs.

So with this draft the 49ers would basically be replacing Swain, Braylon Edwards and Hastings with Marvin Jones, Marvin McNutt and possibly Owusu.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM ]
this a Patriots-like draft and I approve
I would petition Baalke to be fired if this happened
f**kin love it, can't believe you managed to get Jones, McNutt, and Owusu all in the same draft. The trading out of the 2nd kind of bothers me though, I'd have to see who was there to be more supportive of it. But I really like Robinson and Burriss. I'm not as big on Reyes as everyone else though, I know he's a good player but I just don't think he'd play that much and if we grab a DLineman I'd prefer a nose tackle rather than an end. It's still a good draft though.
Originally posted by valrod33:
I would petition Baalke to be fired if this happened

let me guess: no 6'4"+ WR?
Originally posted by vrabbit:
let me guess: no 6'4"+ WR?

Bryan is like 6'5".
  • fan49
  • Veteran
people we need a reciever to start day 1 period, it is our biggest weakness.... anything less would be uncicilized
Originally posted by fan49:
people we need a reciever to start day 1 period, it is our biggest weakness.... anything less would be uncicilized

Marvin Jones would start day 1
i like all the WRs. nice draft!
Good draft and I appreciate the trade downs.

To me the Zone should also be about FUN! and creative drafts like this are fun. It isn't so unrealistic that it couldn't happen which adds to it.

Not sure if McNutt [who I really want] will last till; tthe 3rd.

Buriss is solid.

If it were to go down like this with the WRs you chose, I think picking up Reggie Wayne in FA would be a good move as he could mnentor them for a year or 2.
While I support a trade down and like some of the picks, I don't care for a DE as the first pick. Also, even with the concussion problems, I don't think Owusu will last till the seventh. Who would I pick is dependent on how the brass does in FA first. As of right now However, CF of Stanford and Hill has my attention, would be great if we somehow get them both along with a CB and a guard. Like I said though who do resign and sign during the first half of FA will dictate our picks early.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?! Phoenix didn't select Coby Fleener!?!?!
Can't believe you didn't take Fleener at pick 30... (because you believe he'll be gone by then?)...

What you did do is pick up a lot of good players though.

I am liking the Marvin Jones pick. It seems he has the right physical tools and the right mental makeup to really be a good player in the NFL. One of the things I can't understand is....why doesn't Crabtree call up Jerry Rice and ask him for a couple of tutoring sessions, especially how to create some extra separation? Jones seems like the kind of guy who would do that, just because he wants to get better.

Couple of things... I really don't think Josh Robinson will be there at the end of the third round. If the Niners want that guy, he will have to be their 2nd round pick...and he may even be gone by then.

Love the Burris, Thompson, and Owusu picks but not sold on McNutt, Bryan, or McClain...and here are the reasons for the latter 3...

McNutt because if the Niners bring back Morgan, get a FA WR, and draft Jones, I think they will perhaps draft a speed guy late and bring in a couple of UDFAs and call it a day. Doubt they will pick another big wideout then. I can see them drafting one of the top TE prospects there however...for reasons I'm sure you are aware of.

Bryan because the team already has some good TE prospects in Byham and Reuland and I don't think Bryan is a real upgrade from those two guys.

McClain because the team added both Kilgore and Person in last year's draft as depth at OG and need an OG who can start... Kilgore may or may not be that guy but I personally would like the team to either get a prospect with a bit more upside who may be able to start someday or a FA guy to come in and start at RG immediately than to just get a raw talent at this point....just my humble opinion.

Also, Burris may be on the board as last as the end of the fifth (or even the sixth) round so I think the team can wait a little and still get him.

Nice work overall, Phoenix.... Always enjoy your posts...

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Round 1-Trade down, I know you're supposed to just do straight draft picks, but this is my mock draft and I'll do what I want damnit. Also if the Redskins don't get RG3, I think there will be pressure for them to secure the next top QB, likely Tannenhill.

Round 2(From Trade Down)-Kendall Reyes-DE-UConn-Total athletic freak, a non-stop motor, powerful bull-rusher, this is the guy who could create a dominant 3 DE rotation for the 49ers, which is important because when the DE's were getting a major push the rest of the defense looked many times better. Giving McDonald and Smith regular breathers could provide major dividends without a drop-off in performance. In time Reyes could supplant McDonald or be the eventual replacement for Justin.

Round 2-Trade Down Uno Mas.

Round 3(From Trade Down 1)-Marvin Jones-Cal-WR-He's not spectacular, but he does everything well, he's a willing blocker, he runs good routes, he's played all the WR positions, he has good leaping ability, good speed, he's just solid all around and would be a welcome contributor to the 49ers. One of the most pro-ready receivers in the draft.

Round 3(From Trade 2)-Marvin McNutt-Iowa-WR-Good size at 6-3, solid speed, good hands, two Marvin's don't make a right but they do make for a nice 49ers receiving corps.

Round 3-Josh Robinson-Central Florida-CB-Just ran the fastest combine time in the 40, impressive starter, held his own against several NFL-caliber WR's including AJ Green. Has great hips, flexibility, questions about his size....also just like Kyle Williams, don't let him return any punts.

Round 4-Miles Burris-San Diego State-OLB-Did very well at the combines, a very solid 3-4 prospect, good potential 3rd down pass-rusher.

Round 5(from Trade 2)-Christian Thompson-South Carolina St-FS-A Harbaugh special, very raw, athletic, good ceiling, small school guy who could provide depth and maybe be an asset to special teams as well.

Round 5-George Bryan-NC State-TE-Didn't show at the combine, a strong-handed receiver, not fast, but hands are like glue, catches everything with-in reach near him, a very good blocker, not fast, but has good physical size.

Round 6-Antoine McClain-Clemson-OG-Big physical guard, didn't do so hot at the combines but has the raw talent that can be molded and at least be used for depth.

Round 7-Chris Owusu-Stanford-WR-Too good to not get picked, concussion worries will drop him way down the boards and possibly out of the draft however he is very familiar with this offense and with Harbaugh and could be additional solid depth at WR that this team so badly needs.

So with this draft the 49ers would basically be replacing Swain, Braylon Edwards and Hastings with Marvin Jones, Marvin McNutt and possibly Owusu.

Would take Reyes, Burris, McNutt, and Jones in a heartbeat. I'd be upset about missing out on Fleener, but this would be an excellent draft.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Can't believe you didn't take Fleener at pick 30... (because you believe he'll be gone by then?)...

What you did do is pick up a lot of good players though.

I am liking the Marvin Jones pick. It seems he has the right physical tools and the right mental makeup to really be a good player in the NFL. One of the things I can't understand is....why doesn't Crabtree call up Jerry Rice and ask him for a couple of tutoring sessions, especially how to create some extra separation? Jones seems like the kind of guy who would do that, just because he wants to get better.

Couple of things... I really don't think Josh Robinson will be there at the end of the third round. If the Niners want that guy, he will have to be their 2nd round pick...and he may even be gone by then. That's a a possibility, generally I'm looking for some additional depth at CB and there's going to be a lot of good prospects between the end of Rounds 2 and 3. Would love to have Robinson, but there's a few other guys I like as well.

Love the Burris, Thompson, and Owusu picks but not sold on McNutt, Bryan, or McClain...and here are the reasons for the latter 3...

McNutt because if the Niners bring back Morgan, get a FA WR, and draft Jones, I think they will perhaps draft a speed guy late and bring in a couple of FAs and call it a day. Doubt they will pick another big wideout then. I can see them drafting one of the top TE prospects there however...for reasons I'm sure you are aware of. I see your point but McNutt would add a physical guy to the wide receiving corps. I see him as taking more time to develop than Jones but he's got a ton of potential and seems like a hard-worker to boot.

Bryan because the team already has some good TE prospects in Byham and Reuland and I don't think Bryan is a real upgrade from those two guys. You're underrating Bryan considerably. He's a better receiver than Byham and a better blocker than Reuland. His hands are absolutely amazing, if the ball is in his hands, he's going to come down with. True sleeper prospect.

McClain because the team added both Kilgore and Person in last year's draft as depth at OG and need an OG who can start... Kilgore may or may not be that guy but I personally would like the team to either get a prospect with a bit more upside who may be able to start someday or a FA guy to come in and start at RG immediately than to just get a raw talent at this point....just my humble opinion. Always helps to develop more OL guys continually in case you end up a situation in the future where you can't re-sign a guy for whatever reason. If you can have someone chill on the bench and learn for a couple seasons, you'll be more prepared in case say Iupati walks.

Also, Burris may be on the board as last as the end of the fifth (or even the sixth) round so I think the team can wait a little and still get him. I think his stock has gone up after the combine, I don't see him lasting past the middle of the 5th. If he's the guy they want, taking him in the late 4th isn't going to be much of a reach.

Nice work overall, Phoenix.... Always enjoy your posts...

Cheers!

Put my responses in bold above. :)
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM ]