LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

MileHigh mock pre-combine

I think Kilgor and Person and Beeler settle the OG/OC issue unless on of the top OLine falls to us in the draft. I also like us aggressively addressing OLB as well. I think WR/TE, OLB, CB are probably our biggest issues and then RB and DL, OL are our next level of issues. But I also think that BPA will be a big issue in this draft because there is usually a player that will drop near enough to 30 that Baalke might try to trade up to get that player. If not this is a good draft to trade back and pick up some middle of the draft picks which could also make sense.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I really don't see Fleener going that low, especially with the Giants and Colts needing a TE.

Rams, Vikings, Dolphins, Cardinals, Giants yes, Colts no way
Why not the Colts? Give him a weapon he is familiar with

There probably going lose both their starting WR s, Mathis And Saturday. They're also switching defenses. A second TE is a luxury they cannot afford.
I really don't see Fleener going that low, especially with the Giants and Colts needing a TE.

Rams, Vikings, Dolphins, Cardinals, Giants yes, Colts no way
Why not the Colts? Give him a weapon he is familiar with

There probably going lose both their starting WR s, Mathis And Saturday. They're also switching defenses. A second TE is a luxury they cannot afford.

Agreed, while the colts would love to pair Fleener with Luck. It's hard to see them go that route because they'll need line help on both sides of the ball. Playing armchair GM, If I draft luck with the 1st pick, I'd instantly start looking at how to trade back up into the latter part of the first to snag some top tier OL prospect to help protect him, then WR's in the middle rounds. I just dont see the colts "needing" a TE over the other positions on offense.

The giants probably arent looking for a TE that high either. Pascoe has turned into their blocking TE while Ballard, when healthy, single-handedly put Eli in position for many of his comebacks. Also look at their history with TE's...They drafted Shockey high and he teased them with his potential but led to a bunch of head aches, from that point on its been the next man up mentality. Letting go of Shockey for Boss, who they had so much success with they couldnt afford to keep him, and in steps Ballard who until hurting his leg was killing defenses with his jump ball skills, then playoffs come and Pascoe makes a few plays for them. They have found success in the later rounds of the draft at that position which will influence their draft mentality and possibly knock the top TE's off their board cause theyd rather replace a WR like Manningham who could leave in FA.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I'd love it to go like this but it's doubtful. This is a reactionary league and "the year of the TE" is going to have the less saavy GMs overdrafting them. I can easily seeing us trade out of the 1st though and in most cases I would totally agree with that.

If nobody over drafts Tannehill, I think they trade out of the 30th spot for a team trading up to get him.

As a guy who watched his whole career, I have no idea what anyone sees in Tannehill.
I think if ballke really wants a redzone te he will move quickly in the draft and fleener would b our guy. As far wr I think any if the 2nd tier guys would serve us well.i really like r. Randall but dont think we'll b able to snag him so S. Hill or B. Quick or McNutt will fit the bill
  • dj43
If Rogers is re-signed, there is now way they draft a CB in the third round. The 49ers like Culliver and Brown as well as Brock. It is much more likely they take a guard with that pick.
Fleener will be gone if we don't take him in the 1st.
I like the idea, but can't stand the 3rd round pick. The guy can't play
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERSALLDAYEVERYDAY:
Fleener will be gone if we don't take him in the 1st.

Yup. And we shouldn't take him.
First of all, very good post. It was fun and creative - thanks for the effort.

It's great when someone throws a draft like this out there and some excellent feedback comes in that make me think in another direction.

Ideally, having Kilgore/Pearson step up would be fantastic for a lot of reasons. I like tthe resignings and waiting Snyder out.

I also see Brooks leaving for a lot more $. Not too sure on Rogers - he'll be offered lots of $ and maybe someone will give him 5 years - I think it's the 5 years that concerns most people. I'm hopeful he stays. If not we should look at Carr or another FA.

I think iif we can pick up Garcon - very realistic, get Fleener - may be very tough after 30 and get real good WR or 2 we'll be fine. Randall seems to be the hot topic on many sites for us, Criner could also be a good option. Still, performance from RG will be crucial.

Originally posted by martysofresh:

this

id go Fleener then Randle for the fact that there's still other recievers on the board if Randle is gone. (Quick, Jones,Hill, Streeter etc)

Oh brother, another Fleener bandwagoner. I'd take Randle hands down. Absurd to use a high pick on a luxury 3rd TE. We still have a few other priority needs people
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Wanted to join in on the fun and see where my opinions/predictions rank with those on the zone.

Offseason: Secondary gets continuity with the franchise tagging of Goldson and signing Rogers to a decent longterm deal with a good signing bonus but back weighted to hedge risk. Ginn leaves for another team that will overpay him thinking they have the magic to turn him into an NFL WR rather than just an ace return man. Brooks also departs to a team like the cardinals who needs OLB help and have been willing to pay top dollar for LB's in the past. Alex and Grant resign and Snyder hangs out on the market long enough for us to resign him at a bargain. The club also resigns Morgan.
Additions: Keeping it simple, Baalke signs Garcon from Indy and possibly a vet guard who fell through the cracks if Snyder gets an overpaid offer.

Draft: Baalke has shown the determination to address things that need fixing, like drafting 2 OL in the first or grabbing Aldon Smith. (I give Baalke credit since draft boards are typically set up to incorporate the teams "need" factor at a position when determining BPA... ie: BPA for that specific team and he hit a homerun there)
This draft will address the offensive efficiency and red zone threat.

Quick note: IMO Baalke will try to trade out of the 30 spot with a team looking to get back into the 1st round, leaving our first pick in the early 2nd round. I also think that the additional picks will then be traded away to move up from our 30th spot in the 2nd to the middle of the second round, leaving us with 2 picks in the 34-50 range. Based on how combines, pro-days and interviews the top two picks may flip flop.

Top of 2nd Round: Reuben Randle, WR, LSU: The combine will help this kid, and he is a big bodied WR with Speed. Also a tough kid and came from the SEC where he had to block a ton. If he catches everything in sight and runs a good 40... he will leap frog Fleener in value at the pick.

Middle of Round 2: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford - OLB is an option but in the end the value of Fleener as a target to move the chains and in the redzone is too big to ignore for a team that struggled in both areas the majority of the season. Fleeners ankle sprain will cause his stock to fall out of the first but not that far since he will run well at his pro day. Fleener adds a dynamic to this offense which is predicated on the 2 TE set. Byham becomes the #3 TE. Walker moves to an H-back role, taking the roster spot of Norris who wont be coming back.

3rd Round: Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana - Baalke likes himself those small schools, this year he turns to the small schools earlier in the draft than in the past and selects Johnson, who at 6'2 doesn't lose much athleticism for that height. He also returns kick offs if needed. Speed & injury concerns will cause him to fall to the late 3rd where Baalke will pounce.

4th Round: Shea McClellan, OLB Boise St. - He may not last this long (every mock has to have a lil bit of a stretch in thinking), but size concerns take him out of the NFL DE in a 4-3 conversation and teams may start going for projects with outstanding measurables over a player like Shea who does whatever he is asked and does it well. Another option who could be a sleeper at this position would be Tank Carder, TCU if he shows the ability to add weight without losing athleticism by the combine. Both of these guys are swiss army knife linebackers with excellent motors and the athleticism to line up both inside and outside with solid results at the next level. Chris Rainey is also an option if still available.

5th Round: Ryan Miller, G, Colorado - My bias pick, went to every Colorado home game this year and Miller was the only constant across a terrible line. Shows great strength to maul in the run game, as well as the athleticism to get position and stop the rush in pass protection. Could be a steal as his supporting cast was terrible and will overshadow how effective he actually was at his position.

6th Round: Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State - With the lack of big bruisers at the RB position, Turbin fits more in the Gore mold and is a hard-nosed runner. Turbin takes over Dixon's spot on the team.

7th Round: Janzen Jackson, FS, McNeese St.- Athletic Freak with allot of baggage. May or may not be available depending on his interviews but worth taking a shot on in the 7th round. Lavon Brazill, WR, Ohio is another option at this spot for his talents as a KR/PR and slot WR... Brazill could please allot of Niners fans by taking Kyle Williams roster spot.

The second round of this mock may be a little delusional, but if a team is calling at the end of the first and no one is there with a 1st round grade on the niners board, it could fall out that way and be the zone's wet dream.

Nice draft if it happened this way. I'd be doing backflips of joy
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:

this

id go Fleener then Randle for the fact that there's still other recievers on the board if Randle is gone. (Quick, Jones,Hill, Streeter etc)

Oh brother, another Fleener bandwagoner. I'd take Randle hands down. Absurd to use a high pick on a luxury 3rd TE. We still have a few other priority needs people

Thank you, another life boat of common sense in a sea of crazy. So many zoners going nuts for this guy.
I like the turbin pick i was really leaning towards chris polk but i think turbin is faster and has better hands. saw his highlight real seams like a smart kid. I just kept thinking this guy sounds and looks like a niner.
Originally posted by kronik:

this

Thank you, another life boat of common sense in a sea of crazy. So many zoners going nuts for this guy.

wrong. not a bandwagoner, just thinking logically. WR pool is very deep with talent. TE pool isnt, plus Fleener would know the offense. NOthing wrong with getting Randle, I was just saying. Its all "absurd" if you were asking Bill Walsh about his philosophy on drafting a reciever.
Share 49ersWebzone