There are 156 users in the forums

The Official Tyrann Mathieu Bandwagon Thread (2013 Draft)

Woah... I wonder where he ends up. That could cost them a shot at the title
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by sfout:
Les Miles: It was "fundamental behavior" that led to Mathieu being released from LSU. Team will do whatever it can to aid in his transfer.

aka "he's a doucher" - If behavioral problems get you kicked off the team months after you finish as a heisman finalist and basically the best player on your D then you know it has to be bad.

Dont care the kid is a playmaker... He is cocky and arrogant but the kid plays with passion and the strive to be the best on the field. He has the talent but he does not seem to have his head in the right place. That can be fixed though, see Vernon Davis. Besides we got some great players on D that has some past related drug issues in college as in Tarrel Brown, Navarro Bowman, and Ricky Jean Francois. I do not care I still want him. He just makes plays happen on the field.

Who would he unseat? We just dropped huge cash in Rogers' lap and I dont see any reason for his play to drop off (partially because I believe this scheme helps him moreso then his own skill lol) and same goes for Brown, his contract runs for another 2 (or 3 years?) and I also do not see why he cant play at the same level or better in the coming years. Only way Mathieu makes any sense is if Cully completely stops developing, at least this FCS transfer will knock his stock to to Janoris Jenkins level of late 1st early 2nd.

On another note I dont see how Mathieu can be effective against the new size receivers in the NFL. He is generously listed at 5-9 175 on ESPN and this year I noticed a solid 1 inch was knocked off of most players at the combine. Mathieu is likely 5-7.5 and in the mid to high 160s, I'd love to see how he'd match up against Michael Floyd, Syndey Rice, and Brian Quick (all big bodied WRs in our division) let alone the normal sized "elite" players like Greg Jennings, Antonio Brown, etc.

Mathieu's biggest asset will be his punt return skills, at least his counterpart in Peterson has the size and athletic ability to become a lockdown corner. IMHO he'll never be more then a #3 maybe #2 corner in the NFL. He'd have to be drafted into a "perfect situation" to be effective.
Originally posted by YungAce:

As a Bama fan I did not see them coming close to a title this year even with him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungAce:

As a Bama fan I did not see them coming close to a title this year even with him.

agreed. This was already likely a bit of a "recovery" year for them, no even more so.
Les Miles: It was "fundamental behavior" that led to Mathieu being released from LSU. Team will do whatever it can to aid in his transfer.

aka "he's a doucher" - If behavioral problems get you kicked off the team months after you finish as a heisman finalist and basically the best player on your D then you know it has to be bad.

Dont care the kid is a playmaker... He is cocky and arrogant but the kid plays with passion and the strive to be the best on the field. He has the talent but he does not seem to have his head in the right place. That can be fixed though, see Vernon Davis. Besides we got some great players on D that has some past related drug issues in college as in Tarrel Brown, Navarro Bowman, and Ricky Jean Francois. I do not care I still want him. He just makes plays happen on the field.

Who would he unseat? We just dropped huge cash in Rogers' lap and I dont see any reason for his play to drop off (partially because I believe this scheme helps him moreso then his own skill lol) and same goes for Brown, his contract runs for another 2 (or 3 years?) and I also do not see why he cant play at the same level or better in the coming years. Only way Mathieu makes any sense is if Cully completely stops developing, at least this FCS transfer will knock his stock to to Janoris Jenkins level of late 1st early 2nd.

On another note I dont see how Mathieu can be effective against the new size receivers in the NFL. He is generously listed at 5-9 175 on ESPN and this year I noticed a solid 1 inch was knocked off of most players at the combine. Mathieu is likely 5-7.5 and in the mid to high 160s, I'd love to see how he'd match up against Michael Floyd, Syndey Rice, and Brian Quick (all big bodied WRs in our division) let alone the normal sized "elite" players like Greg Jennings, Antonio Brown, etc.

Mathieu's biggest asset will be his punt return skills, at least his counterpart in Peterson has the size and athletic ability to become a lockdown corner. IMHO he'll never be more then a #3 maybe #2 corner in the NFL. He'd have to be drafted into a "perfect situation" to be effective.

He would have to be a #3 CB in the NFL that plays mostly in a nickle package. All you have to do is put tape on Antoine Winfield. They have both the same type of style and build. Hell I think he would make a great "box saftey". He plays and hits big to make up for his size as well. We do not have much quality depth there at the saftey position. All of us know Jim likes to add depth to stack and provide the competition. We will see though... realistically I do not see him being drafted by us. All I can do is hope like Andy Dufraine off of Shawshank Redemption.
He would have to be a #3 CB in the NFL that plays mostly in a nickle package. All you have to do is put tape on Antoine Winfield. They have both the same type of style and build. Hell I think he would make a great "box saftey". He plays and hits big to make up for his size as well. We do not have much quality depth there at the saftey position. All of us know Jim likes to add depth to stack and provide the competition. We will see though... realistically I do not see him being drafted by us. All I can do is hope like Andy Dufraine off of Shawshank Redemption
Spot on analysis imo.
someone's draft stock just fell
  • zero
  • Veteran
Good luck wathing him on some NAIA school. He was busted for using synthetic weed (spice) for the third time according to my friends listening to WWL in Baton Rouge. Miles made the right move and I agree with him 100%. I don't want LSU turning into another Miami or PSU and this show recruits and parents that even if your the best in the country at what you do, you're not exempt. And for people saying this ruin's LSU national title hopes, it doesn't. If it was the QB, then yes, I'd say LSU probably doesn't deserve it's number ranking but this was a CB. A dynamic one at that but something that can be fixed. LSU has one of the deepest CB pools in the country, (seen here, post #1) and one of the best if not the best front sevens in the country so someone will inevitably step in and fill the void. It happened last year when Mathieu was suspended, and the defense didn't miss a beat. Plus even with this, LSU has a lot less to replace then any other SEC West team. I respect Arky and Bama but theres no way you can justify them having more talent then LSU right now, even with Mathieu gone. Hell 222 members of the media from SEC days picked LSU to win the conference this year which was an all time high, with the votes looking like this:

SEC Champion(Total Points)1. LSU (129) 2. Alabama (65) 3. Georgia (14) 4. South Carolina (6) 5. Arkansas (4) 6. Auburn (2) T7. Florida (1) T7. Ole Miss (1)

Granted that would probably change now and this doesnt automatially mean you'll win the conference as the the media has only selected the right team four times since 1996 but LSU would still have the most votes and I'd rather have to fill Mathieus shoes then Trent Richardson's.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
He's gonna be a huge bust. You heard it here first

Kid plays with too much heart to be a bust. He may not be as good as advertised but I just do not see it.

I just dont think he's as special as some of you guys think
I dont think his game translates as well to the NFL

OP said he'd take him over Claiborne. I'd take Claiborne over Mathiieu in a heart beat
[ Edited by ImaMod on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
someone's draft stock just plummted!!!

fixed!!

You can have talent but you can't get rid of stupid.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

ahmad brooks to name one guy
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

ahmad brooks to name one guy

well ahmad is a rare example of getting rid of stupid but for every 1 who does get rid of stupid there are 9 more to keep doing dumb s***
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I'm guessing he has either a drinking problem or a weed problem. Neither of which are really "problems' in my book.
You can't fix stupid. He may up end being Janoris Jenkins ver 2.0 and end up at McNeese St. Has some real work to do to repair his public image.
Share 49ersWebzone