LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

DB Pre-Combine Mock

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by WyattEarp:
I totally understand what your saying about not drafting a TE cuz we have Davis , However, we have harbaugh as our coach and he uses a lot of two TE sets so if we have another dominant TE to give Davis some breaks of being double teamed. It will also help out the wide receivers too. Not having another weapon in the playoffs the nfc championship game allowed the giants to focus solely on Davis and crabtree. I believe that's why crabtree didn't do too well in the playoffs, not so much cuz he played poorly. He just couldn't get off double coverage. He's not a Calvin Johnson type. Fleener and a burner in round 2-4 could help that problem. Harbaugh and baalke aren't dumb. They know what we need to do.

i agree

i wouldnt mind getting fleener but getting a #1 WR is much more important than a #2 TE at this point

We do need a #1 WR more than a TE, trust brotha I want what you want. I miss having that dominant Jerry rice type reciever, however who at 30 could be a true #1? Jeffrey? Not a #1. Randle? Possibly but he wont be a dominant one Ala andre Johnson. Which reciever is worth a late first rounder? That's why I choose fleener. He has the best value for a #30 pick. Maybe the staff is high on a reciever that's projected to go in the second and we will swoop him up at 30(a la Aldon Smith ) but I just don't see it happening.
I'd buy that for a dollar.
If the draft and free agency actually unfolded this way, I would be very happy. There are a lot of very good players on this list and I think you did an excellent job of addressing the team's weaknesses. Adding a good DE to the DL rotation, another tall CB, a good OG prospect, a productive RB, and a couple of prospects at TE and WR would make this team considerably better.

If I have a criticism at all, it is that both Hill and Green will probably need a lot of coaching up and may not contribute much in their first year or two. That is a big reason why many of us would prefer to pick Fleener, who, because he already knows the Harbaugh offense, would hit the ground running and contribute right away. This team is in desperate need of a difference maker on third downs and in the red zone right now.

With very little chance of picking up a stud rookie wideout who can really make a difference immediately, the next best option is to add a stud TE to the mix and run the offense similar to the way the Patriots and Saints did this year.

Plus, the addition of Fleener would make everyone else on that offense better......V Davis, Crabtree, Morgan, Gore, and whomever the Niners sign as a FA wideout (Meachem?) simply because the other team would have to account for Fleener on every play. As a result, Davis and Crabtree will no longer get double teamed....and then we happy!

Cheers!
We do need a #1 WR more than a TE, trust brotha I want what you want. I miss having that dominant Jerry rice type receiver, however who, at 30 could be a true #1? Jeffrey? Not a #1. Randle? Possibly, but he won't be a dominant one ala Andre Johnson. Which reciever is worth a late first rounder? That's why I choose Fleener. He has the best value for a #30 pick. Maybe the staff is high on a reciever that's projected to go in the second and we will swoop him up at 30 (a la Aldon Smith ) but I just don't see it happening.

To put it succinctly....
I'd be happy with Green and Reyes could be smart for the future. Hill is risky, but I like his potential.

I just don't like the Meachem signing. I don't think he adds much to the group. He's a complimentary WR, not a #1. I don't see him as much of an upgrade (if any) over Morgan. The Daints reached for him in the draft and he never panned out.

Green and Hill could be stars, but neither help us next season. IMO, this scenario wouldn't improve our WR for next season.
[ Edited by strickac on Feb 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM ]
We do need a #1 WR more than a TE, trust brotha I want what you want. I miss having that dominant Jerry rice type reciever, however who at 30 could be a true #1? Jeffrey? Not a #1. Randle? Possibly but he wont be a dominant one Ala andre Johnson. Which reciever is worth a late first rounder? That's why I choose fleener. He has the best value for a #30 pick. Maybe the staff is high on a reciever that's projected to go in the second and we will swoop him up at 30(a la Aldon Smith ) but I just don't see it happening.

jeffery could definitally be a #1 same with sanu

both have all the natural ability and both have great hands and body control while not catching with their body

alshon just needs to lose some weight and sanu just needs more experiance (only played WR for 2 years)

i wouldnt mind talking fleener over them however but depending on the combine getting jeffery will be more dangerous he immeadietly comes in as a RZ threat and has the size forcig teams to put attention on him therefore talking attention away from VD

also floyd and wright are good strong options (if they fall to us)
very nice. i have been on board with mecham or royal, getting both would be nice. also, nice draft. noy big on drafting DL first, but that would make our pass rush even better. overall great job!!!
Originally posted by davidboutte:
I agree with you 100%. We are saying the sae thing. You might have missed my early 3rd round pick. Ladarious Green is the same size as Fleener, faster & considered the drafts #4 TE. He didn't have Luck throwing him passes and still put up similar numbers. I'm not as in love with Fleener as alot of zoners are and don't think we should spend a 1st on him. I'd much rather have a future starting DE and CB out of that 1st pick, which is what we recieved in the proposed trade. And still be able to get a 6'6 TE to stretch the seam. I also believe Crabtree to be a great #2 WR, however top CB's can shut him down.

No he's not. Fleener is 6'6" and 250ish.......Green is about 15-20 pounds lighter depending on which source you use, although we'll know for sure after the combine.

Green is also raw as all hell. He's basically a possession WR at this point, his blocking will take a lot of work, he wasn't asked to block much at all in college and that's the area where people expect him to struggle. He's also going to have to bulk up to play the position in the NFL. Fleener is the guy that's ready to go, who already knows the offensive system, Green is a project that will take work in learning a pro style offense and developing as a blocker among other things.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM ]
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
To put it succinctly....

That's my problem with this mock draft, you end up with a bunch of guys that won't fully contribute for a year or 2......and your top pick is a guy who won't be a starter for the forseeable future. That's fine if you're a 5 or 6 win team, not so good if you're a 13 win team looking to progress in the playoffs. I'm all about Kendall Reyes, just not as the first pick off the board.
I have no issue with trading back, I think It may be Washington, I think Miami gets Flynn, and then Peyton, unfortunately, goes to Arizona.

For now the guys in the rounds are fine, but I can almost guarantee Truamine Johnson will be a 2nd rounder by april. Reyes will rise too. I think he is the best 3-4 DE at that point. Brockers and Still will be gone.

Other than that, all looks good.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I have no issue with trading back, I think It may be Washington, I think Miami gets Flynn, and then Peyton, unfortunately, goes to Arizona.

For now the guys in the rounds are fine, but I can almost guarantee Truamine Johnson will be a 2nd rounder by april. Reyes will rise too. I think he is the best 3-4 DE at that point. Brockers and Still will be gone.

Other than that, all looks good.

they have too much invested in kolb to get manning

no way it happens
Janzen Jackson is interesting. I see a lot of people here listing him as a 7th. Not a true indicator of his immense talent. Teams that can afford the luxury of taking that risk will not hold back doing so on a guy with that kind of talent, especially more for a healthy player than an injured one. If he interviews well enough and convinces people his issues are a thing of the past, his stock will skyrocket to the middle rounds, say the 4th round area.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM ]
they have too much invested in kolb to get manning

no way it happens

They can cut ties with Kolb relatively easy up to a point in the off-season I believe.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
They can cut ties with Kolb relatively easy up to a point in the off-season I believe.

not with his guarenteed cotract they would take a huge hit

not to mention they already went on record saying kolb will be on the team next year
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

not with his guarenteed cotract they would take a huge hit

not to mention they already went on record saying kolb will be on the team next year

well they have a 7M roster bonus due march 13th I believe, so they can get out of the contract if not on roster, but it would look stupid, a year after giving up a 2nd and a good CB.
Share 49ersWebzone