There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

DB Pre-Combine Mock

After learning our cap situation, here is a final stab before the combine....

Resign:

Alex Smith- 4yrs, 28 million+ incentives- Its gonna take four years to satisfy his agent. 7mil per for a starting QB nowadays is a bargain.
Dashon Goldson-Franchise 6.3 million
Carlos Rogers- 4 yrs 26 million- 16 guaranteed- has at least 2 good years left
Ahmad Brooks- 5 yrs 27.5 million- 15 guaranteed- Our best 3 down OLB, #2 in sacks
Adam Snyder- 3 yrs 7.5 million- His return means continuity, our most versitile OL
CJ Spillman- 2nd round tender- 1.9 million
Blake Castonzo- 2 yrs 3 million
Larry Grant- 2nd round tender, 1.9 million- solidifies our ILB, will prolong Willis career
Josh Morgan- 2 yrs 3 million+ incentives- Low risk contract, 2 years to groom our young guys if he doesn't improve
Tavaras Gooden- 1 yr 1 million

Cut;
Spencer- Team gave him permission to seek a trade, if he cant find one, he's cut.
Williams- We need to impove at WR and he needs a fresh start elsewhere

Walk:
Rachal- No comment needed
Norris- ditto
Ginn- Sommeone will pay him, doesn't contribute enough on offense
Reggie Smith- He wants out
Madaiu Williams- No need

Sign;
Robert Meachum- 4 yrs 18 million- 10 guaranteed- Brings height and speed to our team- Would have a chance to be a star, still young at 27
Eddie Royal- 3 yrs 9 million- Replaces Ginn and adds more on offense, only 25 yrs old and played with Morgan at Va Tech

Obviously not all of these signings will take place before the draft. We stick to our board knowing we need depth at WR, CB, OG, OLB, DE, and potentially RB, TE

Draft;
We trade our 1st #30 to Miami for their 2nd #42 and 3rd #73- That gives us 2 2nd's and 2 3rd's- They trade up to go after a QB (Tannehill/Osweiler)

2. DT/DE- Kendall Reyes 6'4 300 UCONN- Stick to the board and take Justin Smith eventual replacement
2. WR Stephen Hill 6'4 206 Georgia Tech- Cant teach size and speed, #1 potential down the road
3. CB Trumain Johnson 6'2 204 Montana- Small school stud has our future looking good in the secondary
3. TE Ladarius Green 6'6 240 La-Lafayette- Tall, speed guy RZ threat and bolsters our lackluster passing offense
4. OG Lucas Nix 6'5 310 Pittsburgh- Competition for Snyder
5. DE/OLD Jacques Smith 6'2 255 Missouri- Played opposite Aldon at MIZZOU, runs a 4.6 and provides depth at OLB
6. RB Vick Ballard 5'11 217 Mississippi St- Replaces Dixon and provides legit Gore insurance
7. FS- Janzen Jackson 6'0 190 Tennessee/McNeese St- Once projected as future 1st/2nd, off field issues but can fly, 4.4 and started along Eric Berry at Tennessee as a Freshman, productive when he played, late round boom/bust pick

Depth
WR Meachum, Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Royal
CB Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Johnson, Brock
TE Davis, Green, Walker
RB Gore, Hunter, Ballard
OLB Brooks, Smith Haralson, J Smith
Safety Goldson, Wnitner, Spillman, Jackson, Jones, Nelms
DL J Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Reyes, RJF, Dobbs, Williams, Tukuafu

I think this addresses all of our needs and a couple luxury picks in Ballard/Green. Those two add wrinkles we didnt have last year. Our needs on defense ultimately became just depth issues after resigning Brooks, Goldson, and Rogers. However, Reyes and Johnson project as future starters at DE and CB. Our WR position would be vastly improved 1-5. 5 guys that can get open, 5 guys that can catch.....What a concept!

As always your feedback is appriciated
[ Edited by davidboutte on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM ]
Overall, it is very good and I'd be happy. (and that is despite my dislike of drafting a 1st rd DL)

I like trading back and getting more draft picks in the second and third rounds. I also like that you addressed RB.
Why trade back. Given the history of baalke he tends to trade up, not back. I'd rather have a better quality player like fleener or randle than risk losing either @42. Unless of course the staff doesn't have a specific Guy they like at 30. Then you trade back.
Originally posted by WyattEarp:
Why trade back. Given the history of baalke he tends to trade up, not back. I'd rather have a better quality player like fleener or randle than risk losing either @42. Unless of course the staff doesn't have a specific Guy they like at 30. Then you trade back.

I dont have a guy I love at 30. I dont think we should trade up. Our needs are different this year then in the past. Baalke definately has shown he will trade up for someone. I believe the quality of this draft is its depth in rounds 2-4. After the first 20 or so picks, 21-40 is very similar.

1-20 WR's Blackmon, Wright, Floyd
1-20 CB's Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Jenkins
1-20 OG Decastro, Glenn
1-20 DE Brockers, Still, Cox

I personally dont think we should take Fleener at 30. If he's there later, great. TE is a luxury pick for us IMO. You could say DE is a luxury pick also but Vernon Davis is top 5 at TE, and Walker is arguably a top 5 backup/2nd. Both are young
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Overall, it is very good and I'd be happy. (and that is despite my dislike of drafting a 1st rd DL)

Early 2nd round, but our 1st pick. I understand your feelings. I just dont love any of the WR/CB/OLB/OG that will be available at that slot.
Originally posted by davidboutte:

I dont have a guy I love at 30. I dont think we should trade up. Our needs are different this year then in the past. Baalke definately has shown he will trade up for someone. I believe the quality of this draft is its depth in rounds 2-4. After the first 20 or so picks, 21-40 is very similar.

1-20 OG Decastro, Glenn

I personally dont think we should take Fleener at 30. If he's there later, great. TE is a luxury pick for us IMO. You could say DE is a luxury pick also but Vernon Davis is top 5 at TE, and Walker is arguably a top 5 backup/2nd. Both are young

I totally understand what your saying about not drafting a TE cuz we have Davis , However, we have harbaugh as our coach and he uses a lot of two TE sets so if we have another dominant TE to give Davis some breaks of being double teamed. It will also help out the wide receivers too. Not having another weapon in the playoffs the nfc championship game allowed the giants to focus solely on Davis and crabtree. I believe that's why crabtree didn't do too well in the playoffs, not so much cuz he played poorly. He just couldn't get off double coverage. He's not a Calvin Johnson type. Fleener and a burner in round 2-4 could help that problem. Harbaugh and baalke aren't dumb. They know what we need to do.
I totally understand what your saying about not drafting a TE cuz we have Davis , However, we have harbaugh as our coach and he uses a lot of two TE sets so if we have another dominant TE to give Davis some breaks of being double teamed. It will also help out the wide receivers too. Not having another weapon in the playoffs the nfc championship game allowed the giants to focus solely on Davis and crabtree. I believe that's why crabtree didn't do too well in the playoffs, not so much cuz he played poorly. He just couldn't get off double coverage. He's not a Calvin Johnson type. Fleener and a burner in round 2-4 could help that problem. Harbaugh and baalke aren't dumb. They know what we need to do.

i agree

i wouldnt mind getting fleener but getting a #1 WR is much more important than a #2 TE at this point
Originally posted by davidboutte:

1-20 OG Decastro, Glenn

I agree with you 100%. We are saying the sae thing. You might have missed my early 3rd round pick. Ladarious Green is the same size as Fleener, faster & considered the drafts #4 TE. He didn't have Luck throwing him passes and still put up similar numbers. I'm not as in love with Fleener as alot of zoners are and don't think we should spend a 1st on him. I'd much rather have a future starting DE and CB out of that 1st pick, which is what we recieved in the proposed trade. And still be able to get a 6'6 TE to stretch the seam. I also believe Crabtree to be a great #2 WR, however top CB's can shut him down.
Getting a replacement for Ginn is good. He was a band aid when the Niners were losers.

Although your plan to trade down has its merits, getting a Number 1 WR is the Niners Number 1 goal IMO. I think they'll trade up. Baalke has Crabtree (replaced by Morgan), Delainie Walker, Snyder and Ginn as trade bait along with trade selections they can part with particulaly with the supplement picks to take their place the Niners should be granted.

I doubt Baalke will get Meachem for that little. Besides, only Isaac Bruce in a line of about a dozen or more FA receivers hasn't flamed out here. Before the title game, Kyle Williams was doing fine. Like Alex Smith last year, it will be Williams' attitude that will make or break him here. Your first two picks won't have the amount of playing time that such high picks should.
Nice moves but I worry we don't have enough cap to do all of this. I don't think we need Royal, Rogers, Snyder as much as u think. But I wouldnt mind at all
very good FA, I like that you kept Rodgers, brooks, and Morgan (Alex has always had good re-pore with Morgan)

Draft is extremely good, I wouldn't mind changing Fleener with Reyes and swapping a DE/DL for Green though, Justin has 2 more productive years in him
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Agree with this statement.
Originally posted by kronik:
Nice moves but I worry we don't have enough cap to do all of this. I don't think we need Royal, Rogers, Snyder as much as u think. But I wouldnt mind at all

At the proposed numbers we spent roughly 40 million in average annual salary. The cap #'s would be significantly less. We could afford everything I proposed
Originally posted by irishluder:
very good FA, I like that you kept Rodgers, brooks, and Morgan (Alex has always had good re-pore with Morgan)

Draft is extremely good, I wouldn't mind changing Fleener with Reyes and swapping a DE/DL for Green though, Justin has 2 more productive years in him

Justin definately has 2 more years at least. However, we need to start rptating those DL and keeping them fresh...Mnay teams rotate 6 or more defensive lineman. Thats not to mention injury insurance