LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Crazy49er1313 Pre-Combine Mock 2.0

Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
See, I know we all want Fleener, he'd be my first choice, but after Combine I don't think he'll make it to our pick and neither with Konz (won't make it past Baltimore with Birk most likely retiring). Glenn is understandable IF we lose Snyder, but in my mock we keep him, so no need to put ANOTHER first round pick into the OL.

As for the offense, I think you may underestimate what we have. No offseason led us to run a simplified offense, which many defenses picked up on. Just imagine if our offense gets to learn the system, not to mention allow Alex a chance to keep the same offense. As much as we gave him shyt for not producing, @ Utah he produced wonderfully b/c, as his HC put it, "He was allowed to fully learn the system". He needs to fully grasp it and the best way is to keep the system and team the same, giving him time to build rapport. He already has it with VD, Walker, Gore, and Morgan, but now he needs to figure shyt out with Crabs who has shown talent but underachieved.

Also, I think you undervalue Meachem. I still remember how badly I wanted us to get him when he came outta Tennessee. He can play the Ginn role of stretching the field, but unlike Ginn, he can CATCH it! Not to mention Meachem will lunge @ the opportunity to play for the #1 WR role, unlike @ NOR, where he was behind Colston, Sproles, Graham, and Henderson as the 5th option. He's fast, gets separation, and will be able to take advantage of VD's double teams and 8-man boxes.

As I know I've clearly ranted , just wanna end with this: we are a defensive team. We got lucky last year b/c we had no significant injuries @ any level. But, throughout the last 5 years, how many times has McDonald had knee problems? Tarrell Brown with concussions? Depth @ the OLB position? This is the first year we have FINALLY gotten our shyt together and have the defense that 3 coaches have had to build over the past 5 seasons, two of whom lost their jobs due to lack of continuity on defense to make up lack of offense.
Now we have a coach who has kept the coaching core together, can build up the offense, and make the defense set for the next 5-7 years. Remember, although the scoreboard said differently, we beat the Giants in every aspect of the game from the 3rd quarter through overtime. Unfortunately, it's better to be lucky than good...

It's not that I disagree with you about the defense I just think we need to invest into the offense this year and can't rely solely on continuity. You're pretty much banking on Meachem being what they envisioned Braylon to be this year.

I think there's 2 ways we could drastically improve the offense at 30 or by trading up to around 25.

1. Peter Konz Our interior lineplay needs to be upgraded. He could push either Goodwin or Snyder and I think his addition would secure our line for a decade to come.

2. Coby Fleener Complete luxury pick, but he's exactly what we've been missing. Vernon is a dynamic tight end but he's got poor awareness and lacks height. The same can be said about Walker. He's more aware than Vernon but is inconsisent and drops way too many passes.

I'd put both of those needs over securing the front 7 rotation.

5th: Ryan Miller, OG, Colorado
- One of the only positives of Colorado football last year, can develop.

Ooh!! I take offense to that.

Seriously though, he's a good player who could go earlier if he convinces a team he can play RT for them.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It's not that I disagree with you about the defense I just think we need to invest into the offense this year and can't rely solely on continuity. You're pretty much banking on Meachem being what they envisioned Braylon to be this year.

I think there's 2 ways we could drastically improve the offense at 30 or by trading up to around 25.

1. Peter Konz Our interior lineplay needs to be upgraded. He could push either Goodwin or Snyder and I think his addition would secure our line for a decade to come.

2. Coby Fleener Complete luxury pick, but he's exactly what we've been missing. Vernon is a dynamic tight end but he's got poor awareness and lacks height. The same can be said about Walker. He's more aware than Vernon but is inconsisent and drops way too many passes.

I'd put both of those needs over securing the front 7 rotation.

I'd be totally for trading up to get those guys, and as I said before, I rate both of them higher, just know that neither will make it down to 30, but if we trade up to 25 maybe we can

Originally posted by strickac:
Ooh!! I take offense to that.

Seriously though, he's a good player who could go earlier if he convinces a team he can play RT for them.

I go to UW, was @ the game they played up here, I stand by my statement
Honestly, I'd have my list as such:

1) Coby Fleener
2a) Reuben Randle
2b) Peter Konz
3)Kendall Reyes

Unfortunately, I feel all three ahead of Reyes will be gone before we pick. Not worth reaching on 2nd tier WR talent, dime CBs, or ANOTHER 1st round OL. Only reason why I'd be willing to snag Konz is b/c he has the capacity to be a Nick Mangold-like center who can replace Goodwin from the get-go, or can move to RG and be an instant upgrade, while Glenn would need to adapt in my opinion (which has been wrong MANY of times)

in that scenrio i wouldnt aapose to talking a DE or OLB if wright floyd fleener konz are gone
Not gonna give Brooks a longer contract that pays him as much or more than Alex. No way in hell his agent would accept that. So you either have to bump Alex way up, lower Brooks pay or a combo of the 2.

Brooks is good player but not worth that much considering his numbers. I'm sure some team would pay him the money but I'd rather draft a guy like Curry or Irvin.

I like your Meachem FA signing!

I know Williams had a terrible finish to the season but if Alex can get a fair shake from the fans then so can Williams. And I'm of the opinion that Trent and Jim are looking into trading Crabtree (he is gonna leave as soon as his contract is up - never seems happy here). So Trent is gonna strike while he can and get something for Crabtree and if that is the case we will keep Williams.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Not gonna give Brooks a longer contract that pays him as much or more than Alex. No way in hell his agent would accept that. So you either have to bump Alex way up, lower Brooks pay or a combo of the 2.

Brooks is good player but not worth that much considering his numbers. I'm sure some team would pay him the money but I'd rather draft a guy like Curry or Irvin.

Brooks will be making over $1million less a year, but I can see where you're coming from. Maybe make the 4th year not optional and make it a $40million with a huge bonus to keep the first two years around $7million. As for value, just wait if he enters the FA market how much he's gonna get from 3-4 teams b/c the lack of good OLBs

I know Williams had a terrible finish to the season but if Alex can get a fair shake from the fans then so can Williams. And I'm of the opinion that Trent and Jim are looking into trading Crabtree (he is gonna leave as soon as his contract is up - never seems happy here). So Trent is gonna strike while he can and get something for Crabtree and if that is the case we will keep Williams.

I'd be the first to cheer for Williams when he enters the field on Opening Day, but it's b/c I've been a fan of his since Arizona State and know that he'll never get a fair shake in SF. I say to cut him not b/c I'm mad or that I think the team doesn't believe in him, but he needs to get away from SF b/c he deserves a chance to develop into a solid slot receiver and have a good career.

I like your Meachem FA signing!

Thanks!!! Glad someone does
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think you're over focusing on the defense.

Robert Meachem is the only piece we add to the offense and if that's the case I'm not necessarily seeing a heck of alot of improvement on the offense. I think we walk into the season with the same problems we saw this year. Is the offensive line good enough to hold up? Do we have the weapons to compete?

I do think Meachem and a healthy Morgan and additional continuity improves the offense, but how much? Our rushing attack is not a guarantee especially with Gore's age catching up to him. Alex might have an increased work load than he did last year.

I like what you did overall, but I don't like the idea of using our 1st 2 draft picks to add to the rotation in what's already the best front 7 in the NFL.

Just me but I'm going Fleener, Konz, Glenn. Either add a weapon or solidify the line, because upgrading the offense needs to be our number one priority assuming we retain the defense.
Yep
Yea nothing wrong with Meachum but just adding him won't do much for the offense. I agree that you can't pay Brooks only a million less than your starting qb, but they need to pay the guy. We have no clue is Aldon will be ready to play on all downs, and Parys has no pass rushing skills at all. Resigning Brooks doesn't even take them out of drafting Curry or Irvin b/c they have no depth at all.
If we could trade back and get Fleener in the second round or best TE left in the draft like Green, and then got Vinny Curry at OLB with our additional second for trading back, and then best center/og left in the draft, CB, DL, WR, RB
Well done, Crazy. Most complete off-season player program I've seen. Unlike some, it's pretty realistic...again, well done!

Originally posted by jojomellon:
32 million for Brooks??!?!?!?!?!?!?! Yikes. That is ridiculously overpaying. That's for a guy who has just one full season of starting and only 7 sacks. I like the player but thats way too much. Jason Babin got 5 years 27 mil. and that was after a 12.5 sack season.

Well it is 5yrs/$32 million because 3-4 OLB is a high demand position. And before you start throwing out the Babin reference, let's check the numbers out:

A 27 year old who averages 6 sacks and plays stout run defense

or

A 31 year old who also averages 6 sacks (including two seasons w/12.5 and 18) and can only play the 9-technique

Which one would you want?

This 'average' thing is a bogus comparison. What have they done lately? Not 6 years ago, last year. The year before. Brooks wont top 4 mil a year at most on the open market. Gaurenteed.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
This 'average' thing is a bogus comparison. What have they done lately? Not 6 years ago, last year. The year before. Brooks wont top 4 mil a year at most on the open market. Gaurenteed.

He can get up to $6mil b/c of the lack of overall talent available. Babin got that ludicrous contract after one good year, Brooks has been solid since he put on the Niner uni and has been constant the past two years, including a full on starting role this year. Besides, continuity for us appears more vital than anything else, and if that means we pay a little more then we should bite the bullet.

I'm still focusing on the fact that we went so many years w/out one good OLB (leading to almost everyone here wanting to go back to a 4-3), yet now we have the talent to run the 3-4 and we're gonna let our OLB core thin out?
Share 49ersWebzone