LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Crazy49er1313 Pre-Combine Mock 2.0

Well, seeing all these great mocks, I thought I'd update mine as well with a little nitpicking from each of the awesome drafts

Now, from Niner Cap Hell, we should have $37mil on the cap, but then we will be adding $3mil from cutting Shawntae Spencer, so now @ $40mil. From AB, I think the Niners will think about extending a player or two. I suggest extending Justin Smith two years (2013 to 2015) and cutting out an extra $3-4mil off the cap (he's @ $6.3mil now, can give him huge bonus and have base salary of $2-3mil on the cap), leaving the cap @ $43mil. Yes, Smith is 32, but he hasn't shown an ounce of it and deserves the raise.

Resigning (Based off of AB's numbers)

Alex Smith: 3 years, $22mil (4th year option for $8mil)
- He will be back, enough said...

Carlos Rogers: 4 years, $25mil
- Yes he'll be 31, but he thrives in this system and will be our #1 for @ least 2 years, which will be well worth it.

Dashon Goldson: Franchised, $6.2mil
- Cheaper to franchise than to sign him longterm to the contract he wants.

Ahmad Brooks: 5 years, $32mil
- Remember how many years we all b***hed about how we didn't have the OLBers to play the 3-4? We will have Brooks, Smith, Haralson, and other pass rushers, giving us depth! Amazing concept

Adam Snyder: 3 years, $9mil
- Can play every position outside LT, and Gore runs the best behind him. Worth the value.

Josh Morgan: 2 years, $5mi (3rd year option, $3mil)
- Has a great rapport with Alex, will be cheap, but injury requires him to prove he deserves a real contract.

CJ Spillman/Larry Grant/Blake Costanzo/Traimaine Brock: Resigned, $6mil total
- All three play vital roles in STs, need to keep "Tony Montana" alive

Total Spent: ~$33mil (Bonuses will throw off this years cap hit, my numbers fall around $37mil, but Paraag will twist the numbers )

Total Remaining: ~$5mil (Includes $5mil for draft picks/UDFAs)

Cuts/Releases
Ted Ginn
-Wants too much for a #4 WR who gets hurt. This draft is deep in KR/PR, will take our chances.

Kyle Williams
- Want to keep him, but he will never get a fair shake here. Needs a fresh start.

Reggie Smith
- Don't need a guy who doesn't wanna be here

Chilo Rachal
- Not worth being an overpaid backup

Madieu Williams
- Too old and have Spillman

Moran Norris
- GONE!!!!!

FA Pick-up
Robert Meachem, WR (4 years, $18mil)
- Very underrated due to Saints high powered offense. Will battle for #1 WR role, at least #2 WR from start (better than his #5 receiving option with Saints).

Total left-over: $2mil (bonus lowers Meachem cap-hit)

Draft

1st: Kendall Reyes, DT, UConn
- Yes, not a receiving option, but 1st round = BPA. Watched some videos of him after OTC told me about him, and the guy can just flat out ball!!! Will not last to our 2nd rounder after his combine, so pick him up @ #30. And for those who say it's not a need, go see the NYG drafts...build on strength, which is our DL. Not to mention, need a better rotation, and with Reyes, will be fresh and killer!!!

2nd: Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia
- We won't be keeping Haralson after this year, so add more depth to our OLB core. He's fast, great pass rusher, and will replace Smith's role. Now, we will have OLB rotation for the next 4-5 years!!!

3rd: Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
- Have a feeling he will drop after combine with a 4.6 40-time. We have our fast guy in Meachem, Quick's major talent lies with height (6'4) and separation. Automatically becomes endzone threat we lack and can develop into a great WR.

4th: Ryan Steed, CB, Hampton
- I like him as our future nickel, but will fight with Brock for dime role.

5th: Ryan Miller, OG, Colorado
- One of the only positives of Colorado football last year, can develop.

6th: Devon Wylie, KR/PR/WR, Fresno State
- Great value for an outstanding returner.

7th: BPA

Most important thing is to keep team intact and build upon depth to keep team healthy
[ Edited by Crazy49er1313 on Feb 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM ]
Very good draft and well thought out.

I really don't know enough about a lot of the players mentioned here in the zone and am constantly learning about new prospects from all the contributors and from vieewing other draft sites.

I'm sure people will disagree with certain players but it if it went down like this we'd look pretty solid going into next season.

My gut feeling is that Brooks will be too expensive and I'm not confident that we'll get into a bidding war.
The weakest portion of your plan is right guard. You seem to retain Rachal while plan to start Snyder. Snyder had the second most QB hurries while he started many fewer games. He might be a good backup but not a good starter. Right guard must be someone new to the 53-man squad. Perhaps Person or the PS squad members. You do have an OG in the 5th but the Niners need a starter not development.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The weakest portion of your plan is right guard. You seem to retain Rachal while plan to start Snyder. Snyder had the second most QB hurries while he started many fewer games. He might be a good backup but not a good starter. Right guard must be someone new to the 53-man squad. Perhaps Person or the PS squad members. You do have an OG in the 5th but the Niners need a starter not development.

Oh shyt! Touche...I totally forgot to mention Rachal

He would be released (don't think he helps the cap in any way) and Snyder would be starting RG. As much as he had QB hurries, he's the best RG we got. Also, look at the production for Anthony Davis when next to Snyder vs Chilo Rachal. Snyder is that veteran that Davis needs to develop into the badass mauler we all want him to become. He took a HUGE step this season, now let's give him another with Snyder so he can finish developing

I'm also assuming that after next season Kilgore will be ready to surplant Snyder as the starter, though Person could be good as well, but one more year of Snyder will be the best for this OL.
best offseason mock ive seen so far, good job!!
I really, really like it.
32 million for Brooks??!?!?!?!?!?!?! Yikes. That is ridiculously overpaying. That's for a guy who has just one full season of starting and only 7 sacks. I like the player but thats way too much. Jason Babin got 5 years 27 mil. and that was after a 12.5 sack season.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
32 million for Brooks??!?!?!?!?!?!?! Yikes. That is ridiculously overpaying. That's for a guy who has just one full season of starting and only 7 sacks. I like the player but thats way too much. Jason Babin got 5 years 27 mil. and that was after a 12.5 sack season.

Well it is 5yrs/$32 million because 3-4 OLB is a high demand position. And before you start throwing out the Babin reference, let's check the numbers out:

A 27 year old who averages 6 sacks and plays stout run defense

or

A 31 year old who also averages 6 sacks (including two seasons w/12.5 and 18) and can only play the 9-technique

Which one would you want?
I like the defense first approach. I think this will depend much upon how the front office handles the issues with Rogers, Brooks and Goldson and how they feel that Williams and Dobbs are progressing. I think that the Kilgore issue may settle the RG problem as well. I think that the WR/PR/KR issue was settled in your draft. The last issue will be running back. I think Gore is fading and we need a RB or two brought in for training Camp and at least challenge Dixon. We need another RB to fill in for Gore if he gets injured so we can keep our offensive balance. I also like the TE you listed. Good focus and I hope they are able to resign all of our important players.
Your figures for our players proposed contracts are right on. Brooks may be around 5 mil a year to keep, but other than that good money plans.

The fa wr will be horrible is we only get meachem or Manningham. We need a great wr that is more of a number one, bc they are both number two- three Wrs. Garçon would be a better option and might come just as cheap

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I also like the TE you listed.

What TE did he list? I don't see any TE.
I think you're over focusing on the defense.

Robert Meachem is the only piece we add to the offense and if that's the case I'm not necessarily seeing a heck of alot of improvement on the offense. I think we walk into the season with the same problems we saw this year. Is the offensive line good enough to hold up? Do we have the weapons to compete?

I do think Meachem and a healthy Morgan and additional continuity improves the offense, but how much? Our rushing attack is not a guarantee especially with Gore's age catching up to him. Alex might have an increased work load than he did last year.

I like what you did overall, but I don't like the idea of using our 1st 2 draft picks to add to the rotation in what's already the best front 7 in the NFL.

Just me but I'm going Fleener, Konz, Glenn. Either add a weapon or solidify the line, because upgrading the offense needs to be our number one priority assuming we retain the defense.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Robert Meachem is the only piece we add to the offense and if that's the case I'm not necessarily seeing a heck of alot of improvement on the offense. I think we walk into the season with the same problems we saw this year. Is the offensive line good enough to hold up? Do we have the weapons to compete?

I do think Meachem and a healthy Morgan and additional continuity improves the offense, but how much? Our rushing attack is not a guarantee especially with Gore's age catching up to him. Alex might have an increased work load than he did last year.

I like what you did overall, but I don't like the idea of using our 1st 2 draft picks to add to the rotation in what's already the best front 7 in the NFL.

Just me but I'm going Fleener, Konz, Glenn. Either add a weapon or solidify the line, because upgrading the offense needs to be our number one priority assuming we retain the defense.

ubkess snyder lleaves i dont think RG in the 1st is a need

however if fleener is gone and we get a #1 WR in FA i wouldnt mind getting konz or glenn
Originally posted by tjd808185:

See, I know we all want Fleener, he'd be my first choice, but after Combine I don't think he'll make it to our pick and neither with Konz (won't make it past Baltimore with Birk most likely retiring). Glenn is understandable IF we lose Snyder, but in my mock we keep him, so no need to put ANOTHER first round pick into the OL.

As for the offense, I think you may underestimate what we have. No offseason led us to run a simplified offense, which many defenses picked up on. Just imagine if our offense gets to learn the system, not to mention allow Alex a chance to keep the same offense. As much as we gave him shyt for not producing, @ Utah he produced wonderfully b/c, as his HC put it, "He was allowed to fully learn the system". He needs to fully grasp it and the best way is to keep the system and team the same, giving him time to build rapport. He already has it with VD, Walker, Gore, and Morgan, but now he needs to figure shyt out with Crabs who has shown talent but underachieved.

Also, I think you undervalue Meachem. I still remember how badly I wanted us to get him when he came outta Tennessee. He can play the Ginn role of stretching the field, but unlike Ginn, he can CATCH it! Not to mention Meachem will lunge @ the opportunity to play for the #1 WR role, unlike @ NOR, where he was behind Colston, Sproles, Graham, and Henderson as the 5th option. He's fast, gets separation, and will be able to take advantage of VD's double teams and 8-man boxes.

As I know I've clearly ranted , just wanna end with this: we are a defensive team. We got lucky last year b/c we had no significant injuries @ any level. But, throughout the last 5 years, how many times has McDonald had knee problems? Tarrell Brown with concussions? Depth @ the OLB position? This is the first year we have FINALLY gotten our shyt together and have the defense that 3 coaches have had to build over the past 5 seasons, two of whom lost their jobs due to lack of continuity on defense to make up lack of offense.
Now we have a coach who has kept the coaching core together, can build up the offense, and make the defense set for the next 5-7 years. Remember, although the scoreboard said differently, we beat the Giants in every aspect of the game from the 3rd quarter through overtime. Unfortunately, it's better to be lucky than good...
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
ubkess snyder lleaves i dont think RG in the 1st is a need

however if fleener is gone and we get a #1 WR in FA i wouldnt mind getting konz or glenn

Honestly, I'd have my list as such:

1) Coby Fleener
2a) Reuben Randle
2b) Peter Konz
3)Kendall Reyes

Unfortunately, I feel all three ahead of Reyes will be gone before we pick. Not worth reaching on 2nd tier WR talent, dime CBs, or ANOTHER 1st round OL. Only reason why I'd be willing to snag Konz is b/c he has the capacity to be a Nick Mangold-like center who can replace Goodwin from the get-go, or can move to RG and be an instant upgrade, while Glenn would need to adapt in my opinion (which has been wrong MANY of times)
Share 49ersWebzone