There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SFOUT: Pre-Combine Mock

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I'm still not sold on Quick, especially as a late 2nd rounder. If we were really dead set on taking a receiver in the 2nd round, I think I'd reach for Stephen Hill just because I have a feeling he won't be around when we pick in the 3rd.

Agree. Would really want Hill and Fleener in first two rounds.
hill wouldnt be a reach in bottom of the 2nd

imo we would have to trade up abour 10 spots to get him
Originally posted by 5280High:
I like both Mocks above however Nw9er may be a little optimistic about that 2nd round pick...hard to see one if any of those players falling to the bottom of the second.

Sfout's mock probably has Quick a bit high, great physical speciman but I want to see if he can catch the ball away from his body more in workouts before penciling him in there. The one worrisome thing I've noticed about his tape is how he lets almost everything into his body which leads to him double catching the ball quite a bit. That wont work in the NFL or even preseason (see RoJo).

What do you guys think about Tank Carder anywher after the 4th? If he's there he could be the BPA, and could take Goodens spot by being a special teams demon while much more capable as a backup possibly at both ILB & OLB spots (but not being counted on as the primary rushing OLB). Amazing tackler with speed, a ballhawk who find a way to make plays, and has shown some ability to rush the passer... He could start off as a swiss army knife type backup for the LB group and groomed into playing opposite Aldon as the OLB who will drop into coverage if needed allowing Aldon to do what he does best, rush the passer.

Yeah...I guess I'm an eternal optimist by nature.....

Actually, I think there is so much talent in this draft that I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility for one of those guys to fall to the Niners in the second. All it takes is one.

Finally, after seeing the Niners load on ST guys last year in free agency, I'm guessing that they will take steps to make that unit even stronger this year.....so as a late round pick, I can see the team go Tanking...

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
There is a lot to like here, sfout... Appreciate the work that went into this too...

My only qualm with your mock (and I like Quick, only in the third round instead of the second), is the pretty obvious need of getting some D-line depth somewhere in the first 4 rounds. Justin Smith, McDonald, and Brooks played virtually every defensive snap this past year so getting an additional DE as well as an OLB that can hold the edge (probably a guy that weighs 245-255 lbs. or so and runs in the 4.7 - 4.8 range at least. Those type of OLBs are not easy to find hence the necessity of re-signing Brooks.

This draft is stacked with really good DL prospects so passing up one of them would be a big mistake IMHO.

Now, I don't have any problem with your late round picks (or Fleener....love that pick!) but I would probably adjust rounds 2-4 to try to give those key guys on defense a breather...

Given that the Niners are indeed able to re-sign their key FAs.....here are some possibilities for a slightly modified version of your draft...

Round 1....TE Fleener
Round 2....DE J. Crick or OLB V. Curry or DT Kendall Reyes or DT Brandon Thompson (whomever falls to them)
Round 3....WR Quick or DE/OLB Cam Johnson or DE T. Guyton
Round 4....OLB Jake Bequette or OLB Jacquies Smith or DE/OLB Brett Roy or RB Vick Ballard or WR T. Streeter or OG Lucas Nix
Rounds 5-7 As you posted...

Cheers!

So what you're saying is that besides his draft picks, you like his draft? lol

No....what I'm saying is I like much of his draft but would make some "slight modifications"....

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
There is a lot to like here, sfout... Appreciate the work that went into this too...

My only qualm with your mock (and I like Quick, only in the third round instead of the second), is the pretty obvious need of getting some D-line depth somewhere in the first 4 rounds. Justin Smith, McDonald, and Brooks played virtually every defensive snap this past year so getting an additional DE as well as an OLB that can hold the edge (probably a guy that weighs 245-255 lbs. or so and runs in the 4.7 - 4.8 range at least. Those type of OLBs are not easy to find hence the necessity of re-signing Brooks.

This draft is stacked with really good DL prospects so passing up one of them would be a big mistake IMHO.

Now, I don't have any problem with your late round picks (or Fleener....love that pick!) but I would probably adjust rounds 2-4 to try to give those key guys on defense a breather...

Given that the Niners are indeed able to re-sign their key FAs.....here are some possibilities for a slightly modified version of your draft...

Round 1....TE Fleener
Round 2....DE J. Crick or OLB V. Curry or DT Kendall Reyes or DT Brandon Thompson (whomever falls to them)
Round 4....OLB Jake Bequette or OLB Jacquies Smith or DE/OLB Brett Roy or RB Vick Ballard or WR T. Streeter or OG Lucas Nix

Cheers!

So what you're saying is that besides his draft picks, you like his draft? lol

No....what I'm saying is I like much of his draft but would make some "slight modifications"....

Cheers!

lol it's cool, I am actually a big fan of Bequette and Johnson too. Either one of them as an OLB project would be fun. Or for Bequette he would replace Haralson on 3rd downs a lot IMO and come in as a DE in nickle situations, kind of like Aldon did last year. Have to see what he weighs in at and what speed he runs and stuff at the combine. I'm also a big fan of "The Street" . I think he's going to be a pretty good WR.

Round 1....TE Fleener

Cheers!

I think Dobbs and RJF will be the depth (possibly counting on Wiliams, too) They thought enough of the young guys last year to hang on to 7 linemen, just so they could develop them over a full offseason. I think people forget how raw and talented the young linemen are (esp Dobbs, Williams, and Tukafua), and how good Tomsula is. Haralson becomes a capable backup if Brooks returns, and I would still like to draft another OLB.