My pre-combine mock off season, I couldn't resist waiting until after the combine.
RETAINED - The final cap # is in and at a median of $37M(according to John Clayton of ESPN we have $39M, MM of CSNBA says $30M and 9erCapHell claims $37M so we'll go with 9erCH's #s) before we cut/trade Spencer I think we will be able to retain all of the core and nearly all of the role players. The rumored #'s of the top FA's for us put right around $24-25M, leaving us with $13-16M in remaining cap space to re-sign the ST/role players and target an outside WR addition. A small note, if we retain Tukuafu he'll be competing against Williams for a roster spot as Dobbs clearly has proven to be more valuable of the 2 UDFAs from this past season.
NOT RETAINED - Only surprise is Ginn; He'll probably ask for too much money but my main sticking point for this decision is his terrible offensive play, both Bogan and Graham would be great replacements from both a WR and KR standpoint, Bolden should he make the roster displayed great skill at returns in college.
FREE AGENCY TARGETS - It goes without saying that the practice of our office is to retain our own then sift through the remaining "second tier" players for the diamond in the rough. All 5 of these guys are younger then 27 and have tons of potential. These are not signings but players we will definitely target.
My top 3 are probably Garcon, Robinson, Meachem but I wont speculate on which one we sign.
1. Coby Fleener TE 6'6 252 - Fleener will provide great mismatches when paired with Davis and faster receiver, also opens up the lobs and jump balls in the red zone and 3rd down.
2. Brian Quick WR 6'3 1/2 222 - Like Fleener Quick has a big body he can use against smaller corners and even some safeties, his length will really help us in the passing game. Said to be more of 3rd rounder but I think a decent showing at the combine will boost him into the 60-70 pick range.
3. Terrell Manning OLB 6'3 233 - A riser but has displayed the skills of a complete linebacker, could be gone by this point and there is a good chance you could flip this pick with Quick after the combine.
4. Garth Gerhart C/G 6'1 308 - A versatile player we could groom to compete with Beeler for the future C & G spots. Should Goodwin go down either Snyder or Gerhart would be able to both RG or C.
5. Omar Bolden CB 5'10 198 - Injuries are a big flag, but with his skill set and ability in the return game I would be disappointed if we didn't give this guy a chance and let him compete against Holcomb for #5 spot.
6. TJ Graham WR 5'11 182 - The Senior bowl really put him on the map and I think he is the perfect type of player to target as #5/KR, also compete against Dontavia Bogan for the #5 role.
7. Sean Richardson S 6'2 213 - Watched a lot of Vandy games this year and Richardson's range really surprised me, could develop into a quality backup.
FULL DEPTH CHART
QB: Smith, Kaepernick, Tolzien
RB: Gore, Hunter, Dixon
WR: Crabtree, Quick,
WR: Morgan, FREEAGENT, Bogan/Graham
TE: Davis, Fleener, Walker, Byham/Reuland
LT: Staley, Boone
LG: Iupati, Kilgore
RG: Snyder, Gerhart
RT: Davis, Person
DT: Smith, Dobbs
NT: Sopoaga, Williams/Tukuafu
DT: MacDonald, Francois
OLB: Haralson, Smith
MLB: Willis, Grant
MLB: Bowman, Gooden, Costanzo
OLB: Brooks, Manning
LCB: Brown, Brock, Holcomb/Bolden
RCB: Rogers, Culliver,
FS: Goldson, Legree, Jones
SS: Whitner, Spillman, Richardson
As usual, any comments or criticism? I will say that my one wildcard is Ahmad Brooks, I really had to force myself to say that we'd re-sign him. I really believe Aldon can step in this year and play all 3 downs with another OLB(Manning) added as depth while we use Demarcus Dobbs as our situational/nickel rusher.
Another note, I noticed that I unintentionally was able to create a roster with 4 TEs and still carry 5 WRs. Should definitely provide a great boost to our offense if we fill Moran Norris' spot with a TE like Reuland or Byham.
I do think we will bring in a UDFAs like Stanford RB Jeremy Stewart and Kansas State's Bryce Brown to compete against Dixon for the 3rd RB job.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM ]