There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do you think Baalke will do in the draft this year?

What do you think Baalke will do in the draft this year?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Unless someone amazing falls to him with the 30th pick, he should trade back and collect more picks in rounds 2-3.


Yeah but we have a lot of entrenched starters at certain positions, it seems to me like we should be trying to find the most talented players at positions we need to finish out our roster. If we draft 10 guys or whatever, we won't even have roster spots for all of em.

I'm kind of more in line with that. We are close. We don't need depth. We need star players at a few specific positions. We don't need all our picks. Packaging a few together and trading up would be a good idea.


If we got 4 starters out of this draft we might win a super bowl IMO
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Unless someone amazing falls to him with the 30th pick, he should trade back and collect more picks in rounds 2-3.


Yeah but we have a lot of entrenched starters at certain positions, it seems to me like we should be trying to find the most talented players at positions we need to finish out our roster. If we draft 10 guys or whatever, we won't even have roster spots for all of em.

I'm kind of more in line with that. We are close. We don't need depth. We need star players at a few specific positions. We don't need all our picks. Packaging a few together and trading up would be a good idea.


If we got 4 starters out of this draft we might win a super bowl IMO

Why not do both? I'm not saying draft 12 guys. Draft solid guys in the mid rounds. Depending on what happens in FA, I can think of plenty of positions a rookie can make a significant impact. OLB if Brooks leaves. Definitely CB if Rogers and/or Spencer walk. RG . . . not to mention, the biggest need WR and TE (not a huge Walker fan).
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Why not do both? I'm not saying draft 12 guys. Draft solid guys in the mid rounds. Depending on what happens in FA, I can think of plenty of positions a rookie can make a significant impact. OLB if Brooks leaves. Definitely CB if Rogers and/or Spencer walk. RG . . . not to mention, the biggest need WR and TE (not a huge Walker fan).

I agree with several other posters who have mentioned in various threads that Kilgore will get every chance to win the starting job this year, and I hope he gets it. That guy seems pissed off as soon as cleat one touches the field. I agree with other areas. I don't see TE as a specific NEED, as I believe that Walker is serviceable, but I do completely agree that another playmaker with size would be a HUGE shot in the arm for Alex and the passing game.
Love to see Kilgore earn the starting position. Also love to see Dobbs in the rotation full time if he can earn it. Man, that would free us uup to make some moves.

I think Baalke/JH will go TE somewhere. There are 3 high quality TE, Fleener, Allen, Charles, and from what I've read there isn't a lot of difference between them - and most think Fleener is the best of the bunch. I feel TE because Walker's contract ends next season and he will be asking for BIG bucks. Why not get a younger, less expensive allternative now, who can produce day one. Add to that JH 's history using TE in offensive schemeing. They are very good in the run game blocking, pass protection as well as receiving. FA willl detrermine a lot.

Then again, Baalke/Jh will have some surprises nobody anticipated.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Love to see Kilgore earn the starting position. Also love to see Dobbs in the rotation full time if he can earn it. Man, that would free us uup to make some moves.

I think Baalke/JH will go TE somewhere. There are 3 high quality TE, Fleener, Allen, Charles, and from what I've read there isn't a lot of difference between them - and most think Fleener is the best of the bunch. I feel TE because Walker's contract ends next season and he will be asking for BIG bucks. Why not get a younger, less expensive allternative now, who can produce day one. Add to that JH 's history using TE in offensive schemeing. They are very good in the run game blocking, pass protection as well as receiving. FA willl detrermine a lot.

Then again, Baalke/Jh will have some surprises nobody anticipated.

I think Charles will draw major hype after the combine. People are thinking he's going to run anywhere from a 4.0 to 4.6......if so, he'll fly up the boards fast, which is perfect for the 49ers since one of the more physical, bigger tight-ends should remain available.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the team has a gigantic bullseye on Sanu. He is a guy with good size and a muscular frame, very productive, ran a version of the Wildcat for them, and most importantly....blocks like no other. If the team is selecting a guy who is split out wide, he WILL be a blocker. That is why I think fans can eliminate guys who are the thinner, tall rabbits on the outside.

I think Harbaugh has a huge voice in the conversation, and he wants guys who are tough and willing to hit. That is Sanu.

First, I agree with your line of reasoning behind Harbaugh coveting a WR like Sanu. Will the Niners just stand pat at #30 and take him? How far back would you trade into the second round and still have Sanu available?

Great points and have to agree especially given what our WRs do in the run game. Excellent POV!