LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 367 users in the forums

What do you think Baalke will do in the draft this year?

What do you think Baalke will do in the draft this year?

Doesnt mean a whole lot that Josh is in NE, the Pats are notorious for not paying players without the last name Brady. Welker could hit Free agency and its not a given that Brandon will go there especially since this will be his last contract and he'll want the most he can get.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If i were Baalke i would resign all of our own guys that i could.

Draft fleener in the first, Randal in the second, and hill in the third. Spend the rest of the picks on oline/defense.

save money on Offense in FA, and address that mostly through the draft while maintaining the roster we have. We are knocking on the door. Keep this s**t together and go heavy offense early in the draft.
I could see something like that, I'd be happy. I'd be even happier if their one big expenditure was Carl Nicks. All those talented receiving prospects AND time for Alex to throw to them. O-line is such a teamwork oriented position and I feel like another pro-bowler on the line would make it a truly elite unit.

I'm really not that concerned with losing someone like Rogers simply because Baalke got him out of the bargain bin and I trust that with our front 7, with our scouting abilities and with how well Culliver played last season, we can find someone similar. As for Brooks, it would suck to lose him but same sort of deal you hope someone else can step up. Pick up another OLB(perhaps where you had o-line listed,if we got nicks) or perhaps stick parys on that side and hope for the best.

In the end our defense is still elite, it sucks to lose guys but most of what made our defense great is still staying. People fretted about losing all the players we did last year and it ended up leading to the emergence of guys like Bowman. Sometimes change is ok.
Brooks IMO is the most important to bring back, then goldson, then rogers. Brooks is so underrated by the fans of this team its insane. Franchise him if we must.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Brooks IMO is the most important to bring back, then goldson, then rogers. Brooks is so underrated by the fans of this team its insane. Franchise him if we must.

Pretty sure that franchising him means he'll get paid like 15-20 million. Not going to happen.
Brooks is good not franchise tag good though. I expect him to be the one that walks.
Id imagine hes goes defense in the 1st. Im hoping for OLB,DE, CB or FS with our 1st pick. Those positions in that order before any other postions with our 1st pick. Quite a few pass rushers and DBs id trade up for this year.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Brooks is good not franchise tag good though. I expect him to be the one that walks.

Yeah people need to be real he's a 5-7 sack guy who's also decent in coverage, Parys for example was a 5 sack guy before Aldon came now that he mainly plays in run d/coverage situations he fell to 2 sacks. There's no reason he couldn't be a 5 sack guy moved over to the left side and playing all downs. Aldon needs to start playing all downs soon anyway. He either walks or takes a fairly cheap contract to stay on an elite defense.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM ]
brooks is valuable because of his run defense, not his pass rushing skills.

Dude had an insane amount of TFL's and is IMO one of the largest reasons why our run defense was one of the best ever in the league. We don't need him to get to the QB more than 7 times a year.

goldson and rogers were both products of the men in front of them. I would take brooks even if it meant letting both of them walk. Having said that i hope to have them all back.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If Fleener runs like a 4.5 for the 40, I don't see him making it to the 49ers, Pittsburgh or Denver will snag him in a hurry.

So Phoenix......if Fleener does run a 4.5 40, would you trade up to get him?
I could see him trading up into the mid 20's to grab someone he really likes, but definitely no Julio Jones style seppuku trades. Fortunately.

He did it with Anthony DIxon in 2010 and with Kilgore in 2011.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM ]
  • darum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Doesnt mean a whole lot that Josh is in NE, the Pats are notorious for not paying players without the last name Brady. Welker could hit Free agency and its not a given that Brandon will go there especially since this will be his last contract and he'll want the most he can get.

http://www.stlsportsminute.com/2011/12/brandon-lloyd-says-he-will-follow-josh.html

Pretty sure Lloyd would be willing to take a cut to stay with McDaniels, and the Patriots have a pretty glaring need at WR.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Tommy Streeter, Dwight Jones or Stephen Hill will be a 49ers!!!!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The Niners do not need to trade up for anybody.

We are in a perfect position to add quality depth to this team. There is no need to push the issue at WR if we find a suitable FA WR. Plus, I don't know how anybody could expect that the #6 WR in this draft would provide a noticeable improvement. It's just wishful thinking.

Either wait to see what drops or trade back. Take the highest rated guy (if he has a first round grade) at DL, OG, S or CB. Otherwise, trade back.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
So Phoenix......if Fleener does run a 4.5 40, would you trade up to get him?

As much as I like him, no. I think the 49ers can get great value all through the draft if not necessarily drafting by need. If Fleener is not available in the first round, they can get an OLB pass-rusher type like Vinnie Curry or help at CB or FS. I think there will be good WR prospects throughout the draft.
Originally posted by okdkid:
The Niners do not need to trade up for anybody.

We are in a perfect position to add quality depth to this team. There is no need to push the issue at WR if we find a suitable FA WR. Plus, I don't know how anybody could expect that the #6 WR in this draft would provide a noticeable improvement. It's just wishful thinking.

Either wait to see what drops or trade back. Take the highest rated guy (if he has a first round grade) at DL, OG, S or CB. Otherwise, trade back.

After you get past Blackmon, Wright and potentially Floyd.....I don't think there's a HUGE difference among the next 4-8 receivers, there's a lot depth at WR in this draft and good prospects can be found in later rounds. I'm definitely one who doesn't support making a desperate reach for a WR rather than drafting by best talent available.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Tommy Streeter, Dwight Jones or Stephen Hill will be a 49ers!!!!

Definitely interested in seeing Hill and Streeter at the Combine and workouts.
Share 49ersWebzone