LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 239 users in the forums

What do you think Baalke will do in the draft this year?

What do you think Baalke will do in the draft this year?

Going into this year's draft, the Niners' needs are pretty well defined. It doesn't appear likely like the Niners will get any compensatory picks, unless someone goes after their restricted free agents. Some people have already predicted some trades out of the first round in their mock drafts. What scenario do you think is most likely out of the three listed? I think it is more likely that Baalke trades back to garner additional picks this year or next. Next best option would be to stand pat. Your thoughts......
I think he'll try to sign Vincent Jackson or Colston. If he can't get one of them Bowe and Desean will be targeted. If they all get by us, I think Garçon or maybe Wayne could be the guy, with a 1st/2nd round WR.

I think we'll be grabbing another TE also. We really need a boost in the passing game and since Alex struggles with the deep ball, I could see another TE to help move the chains by working the short/underneath stuff. The 2nd round is the perfect spot to land a TE. Hopefully we trade back into the 2nd and get Allen, Charles, or Fleener.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Baalke doesn't seem like the trading back type, they see a guy they like and if he's there when they pick they take him. We don't need to improve in a ton of positions so he'll get the best guy that falls, or if he really digs one guy and they think someone else wants him, he could trade up.
Originally posted by strickac:
I think he'll try to sign Vincent Jackson or Colston. If he can't get one of them Bowe and Desean will be targeted. If they all get by us, I think Garçon or maybe Wayne could be the guy, with a 1st/2nd round WR.

I think we'll be grabbing another TE also. We really need a boost in the passing game and since Alex struggles with the deep ball, I could see another TE to help move the chains by working the short/underneath stuff. The 2nd round is the perfect spot to land a TE. Hopefully we trade back into the 2nd and get Allen, Charles, or Fleener.

Neither of those guys in bold are making it past the 4th pick in the 2nd round IMO.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM ]
I wouldn't rule out Brandon Lloyd either. He's become one of the top deep threats in the league and someone we tried to sign when he left Denver. Plus, if we sign him away from the Rams, we'd also be weakening a division rival. That's an added plus. Production-wise, he's going to give you as much as any other free agent WR.
I wouldn't rule out Brandon Lloyd either. He's become one of the top deep threats in the league and someone we tried to sign when he left Denver. Plus, if we sign him away from the Rams, we'd also be weakening a division rival. That's an added plus. Production-wise, he's going to give you as much as any other free agent WR.

He's pretty much a done deal to go to the Patriots.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's pretty much a done deal to go to the Patriots.

Why's that? That need to pay Welker first. Plus, they could really use some help on defense.

Ocho Cinco didn't fit in because he's not precise with his routes. Lloyd is the same type of guy. He likes to freelance.
If i were Baalke i would resign all of our own guys that i could.

Draft fleener in the first, Randal in the second, and hill in the third. Spend the rest of the picks on oline/defense.

save money on Offense in FA, and address that mostly through the draft while maintaining the roster we have. We are knocking on the door. Keep this s**t together and go heavy offense early in the draft.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
If they resign their key free agents then they may trade up into the first or second round for a player they covet.
Why's that? That need to pay Welker first. Plus, they could really use some help on defense.

Ocho Cinco didn't fit in because he's not precise with his routes. Lloyd is the same type of guy. He likes to freelance.

Josh McDaniels. Patriots need receivers, Lloyd had his best success under McDaniels, he's been linked to them pretty much since the end of the season.

• mike
  • Veteran

Again the problem with trading back is you could aim for one guy (say, Fleener) and end up stuck with someone you didn't like as much, say Allen.

Obviously still have to see them both at the combine(measurables like hand size, real height, speed, ect) but I'd rather stay pat and get the best guy available. I would much rather have Fleener's size, and I do think he's worth a late 1st.
Originally posted by mike:
Again the problem with trading back is you could aim for one guy (say, Fleener) and end up stuck with someone you didn't like as much, say Allen.

Obviously still have to see them both at the combine(measurables like hand size, real height, speed, ect) but I'd rather stay pat and get the best guy available. I would much rather have Fleener's size, and I do think he's worth a late 1st.

If Fleener runs like a 4.5 for the 40, I don't see him making it to the 49ers, Pittsburgh or Denver will snag him in a hurry.

Josh McDaniels. Patriots need receivers, Lloyd had his best success under McDaniels, he's been linked to them pretty much since the end of the season.

Yeah, good point. I forgot Josh was going back to NE.
Originally posted by mike:

If Fleener runs like a 4.5 for the 40, I don't see him making it to the 49ers, Pittsburgh or Denver will snag him in a hurry.

He's no guarantee to be the 1st TE taken. Allen and Charles are studs as well. This is a deep TE class and I wouldn't be surprised if they all made it to the 2nd.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If i were Baalke i would resign all of our own guys that i could.

Draft fleener in the first, Randal in the second, and hill in the third. Spend the rest of the picks on oline/defense.

save money on Offense in FA, and address that mostly through the draft while maintaining the roster we have. We are knocking on the door. Keep this s**t together and go heavy offense early in the draft.
I could see something like that, I'd be happy. I'd be even happier if their one big expenditure was Carl Nicks. All those talented receiving prospects AND time for Alex to throw to them. O-line is such a teamwork oriented position and I feel like another pro-bowler on the line would make it a truly elite unit.

I'm really not that concerned with losing someone like Rogers simply because Baalke got him out of the bargain bin and I trust that with our front 7, with our scouting abilities and with how well Culliver played last season, we can find someone similar. As for Brooks, it would suck to lose him but same sort of deal you hope someone else can step up. Pick up another OLB(perhaps where you had o-line listed,if we got nicks) or perhaps stick parys on that side and hope for the best.

In the end our defense is still elite, it sucks to lose guys but most of what made our defense great is still staying. People fretted about losing all the players we did last year and it ended up leading to the emergence of guys like Bowman. Sometimes change is ok.
Share 49ersWebzone