There are 212 users in the forums

Giants24's Offseason/Mock Draft

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Wishful thinking mock, in my opinion.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Criticisms:
1. Way too offensive in the draft...we need depth in our D
2. Most of the players in your draft wont fall to us
3. Josh Morgan is coming back at any price we want...the man wants to die a Niner
4. I hate your name!!!

It looks bad, but I'm pretty sure he's referring to Willie Mays.

Agree with the first 3 points above....(and I actually love the name because I saw Mays play)...

To the point...a more realistic draft with the same players is below... I left out rounds 6 and 7 because the prospects you listed will probably all be gone by then...

Round 1 (30).......TE....Coby Fleener
Round 2 (62).......WR...Brian Quick
Round 3 (93).......OG....Brandon Brooks
Round 4 (127).....OLB..Donte Paige-Moss
Round 5 (160+)...KR....Devon Wylie (although I would draft a DT here and perhaps sooner...this draft is deep with good DLmen)

I think this is still a fine group of players and I would be pleased if the draft unfolded this way for the Niners.

As for the FAs you listed, I agree with several of the others in that Morgan will probably resign with the Niners (and the team most definitely DOES need him). Losing Morgan to injury may have cost the team a Super Bowl title because he had developed a nice rapport with Alex Smith, particularly on 3rd downs.

I also think the team will make a real run at re-signing Ginn and Brooks. Ginn's value was painfully obvious in the NFC Championship game, and Brooks may be even more valuable to the team than Rogers (and I loved the way Rogers played this year) because the Niners are woefully thin at OLB and can't afford to let that position get any weaker. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the team franchise Brooks instead of Goldson because he is probably more difficult to replace at this point.

As for the FAs you suggested the team sign, both will probably be far too expensive. Don't think the Niners would bite on either of those two.

I enjoyed your post....keep 'em coming....

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM ]
Yes my name refers to the SF Giants. JustinNiner? How creative. Of course the figures aren't correct? I'd like to see someone be spot on with the salary figures. And NO ONE knows where everyone will fall, or if someone will b taken a few round early. Look who Jacksonville drafted a few years ago in the 1st. A POS lineman from Cal. So no one knows, that's why we make mocks..their not real and are our own opinions..respond with ur own mock if u think u can do better haha and yes it's very offensive-minded. Anyone realize our offense is terrible??
Originally posted by Giants24:
Yes my name refers to the SF Giants. JustinNiner? How creative. Of course the figures aren't correct? I'd like to see someone be spot on with the salary figures. And NO ONE knows where everyone will fall, or if someone will be taken a few rounds early. Look who Jacksonville drafted a few years ago in the 1st. A POS lineman from Cal. So, no one knows. That's why we make mocks..they're not real and are our own opinions. Respond with your own mock if you think you can do better..haha..and yes, it's very offensive-minded. Anyone realize our offense is terrible??

I'm nw9erfan by the way...and I approved this message...
I actually really liked the draft a lot along with the signings

However
Ginn will be back and we absolutely must get another CB

In a few years that O would be ridiculous it would be almost impossible for the QB to fail.
Seriously dude, u need to learn to take criticism better if your going to make mocks. yea they are your opinions of what you think will happen and i gave you my opinion...so dont get all butt hurt when someone tells you what they think of your mock

And about the name, thats my bad...im not into Baseball at all and im not from san fran so it slipped my mind that you were talking about the SF giants. no hard feelings

BTW next time you make a mock, make sure you know what the tender rules are

Originally posted by Giants24:
Yes my name refers to the SF Giants. JustinNiner? How creative. Of course the figures aren't correct? I'd like to see someone be spot on with the salary figures. And NO ONE knows where everyone will fall, or if someone will b taken a few round early. Look who Jacksonville drafted a few years ago in the 1st. A POS lineman from Cal. So no one knows, that's why we make mocks..their not real and are our own opinions..respond with ur own mock if u think u can do better haha and yes it's very offensive-minded. Anyone realize our offense is terrible??
I want Fleener, Adams, and Quick. Pick up Ben Grubbs or Carl Nicks in FA. Thats all I wanna do to the offense. everything else should be defense related for the most part.
OL:Iupati, Staley, Goodwin, Grubs/Nicks, and Davis.
WR: Crabtree, Morgan, Williams, Adams, and Quick. (Ginn will be our designated return man)
TE: Davis, Walker, Fleener, and Byham (or Reuland if he makes it off PS)
I swear we're talking high power right there. We got two burner slots in Williams and Adams. (Can somebody say Bubble screen?)
RZ targets in Fleener and Quick (Can someone say jumpball?)
#1 and #2 recievers in Crab and Morgan.
I gaurantee this will elevate the play of everyone on that offense.
[ Edited by martysofresh on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM ]
would love for this to happen, but dont think these players will be there. and how do u say there is no need for morgan. WR was our weak spot last year. having him back would help.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Seriously dude, u need to learn to take criticism better if your going to make mocks. yea they are your opinions of what you think will happen and i gave you my opinion...so dont get all butt hurt when someone tells you what they think of your mock

And about the name, thats my bad...im not into Baseball at all and im not from san fran so it slipped my mind that you were talking about the SF giants. no hard feelings

BTW next time you make a mock, make sure you know what the tender rules are

You are not allowed to use the bolded term above.

(or at least, I am not.... you, I dunno)
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I actually really liked the draft a lot along with the signings

However
Ginn will be back and we absolutely must get another CB

In a few years that O would be ridiculous it would be almost impossible for the QB to fail.

I agree but I would take out that 3rd round lineman and add a 3rd round cb. And in free agency or in the draft this teams needs to address the depth at outside linebacker.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
KW will be a niner next season. deal with it. "nothing special?" You can say that about all of our WR's.

Good mock. Like the quality of the players you chose.

One thing for sure, IMO, Baalke/JH will have some surprise moves none of us expected.

In FA, this year we are attractive to many because we arre SB Contenders. This bodes well for quality playyers w/out many years left who want a chance att the big one. So, we may be able to get a couplle of those 1 year deals for some top players.

Really like thhe Brandon Brooks pick - w/our coaching staff he can a big contributor.

Thanks.
I think it's a good mock. It never really goes as planned. I don't think some of the guys will be there at the pick but it's not really a reach either. Fleener is prob. a 2nd rounder but he just won't make it to the back half of the 2nd round. Some other guys as well. I like the all offensive but it prob. won't go down that way.

I like that Baalke really goes after the guys he wants. He could probably go Sanu or Jeffery at 30 and then trade back into the early 2nd and grab Fleener. Don't know what picks we would have left after the trade but we could still get Quick in the 4th or the Center you were talking about.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Fleener is not going to still b on the board at 60. I want him but he will be gone by 60.

agreed
  • tap11
  • Veteran
David Hawthorne is a middle linebacker with no pass rush ability. He is not a replacement for Brooks as he would be a poor fit at olb in a 3-4 defense.
Originally posted by tap11:
David Hawthorne is a middle linebacker with no pass rush ability. He is not a replacement for Brooks as he would be a poor fit at olb in a 3-4 defense.

Thank you for stating this. It saved me from a much longer post earlier.

Cheers!
Share 49ersWebzone