There are 196 users in the forums

Finding the next Victor Cruz: Three Potential UDFA WR Gems

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Lavon Brazill - 5'10/190 - Ohio:

Brazill is an interesting prospect as a potential slot guy in the NFL, but his two knee surgeries in 2010 and 2011 are a concern. He's a tough player though -- played with the knee hurt in the bowl game and had a nice showing -- and could warrant some late round consideration. He reminds me a lot of Jeremey Kerley who came out of TCU last year and was selected late in the 5th round. Brazill, who has PR experience as well like Kerley, I think stands a good chance of getting drafted late if he can show he's healthy at the combine.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Lavon Brazill - 5'10/190 - Ohio:

Brazill is an interesting prospect as a potential slot guy in the NFL, but his two knee surgeries in 2010 and 2011 are a concern. He's a tough player though -- played with the knee hurt in the bowl game and had a nice showing -- and could warrant some late round consideration. He reminds me a lot of Jeremey Kerley who came out of TCU last year and was selected late in the 5th round. Brazill, who has PR experience as well like Kerley, I think stands a good chance of getting draftrf late if he can show he's healthy at the combine.
He was on my college fantasy football team, so I watched as many games as I could of him, and everytime I watched him, I came away impressed. I do hope all his medical concerns are in the past, cause I do see him as a WR that can contribute in the NFL. I would definitely take a flier on him in the 6th or 7th round. You can tell he loves playing football and would do whatever's asked of him.
I really like Rod Streater out of Temple University. I think hes a big target with great hands and good speed. Hes 6'4 and we could use some taller receivers.
How in the world did the Giants get a guy that good undrafted....
I've mentioned Cooper a lot in the past before, he's OkSt's Welker-type WR, very reliable and with return skills
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I've mentioned Cooper a lot in the past before, he's OkSt's Welker-type WR, very reliable and with return skills

Yep, could definitely see him getting overlooked like Amendola did. Dez Bryant and Blackmon wowed people while Cooper quietly did his job. Amendola did the same while Crabtree set records. Amendola actually had 1000+ yards and didn't get drafted.

Amendola and Welker both came from Texas Tech and went undrafted. I think it was due to their timed speed, which was ZERO indicator of how quick they are. Welker ran a 4.61, Amendola a 4.68.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Yep, could definitely see him getting overlooked like Amendola did. Dez Bryant and Blackmon wowed people while Cooper quietly did his job. Amendola did the same while Crabtree set records. Amendola actually had 1000+ yards and didn't get drafted.

Amendola and Welker both came from Texas Tech and went undrafted. I think it was due to their timed speed, which was ZERO indicator of how quick they are. Welker ran a 4.61, Amendola a 4.68.

They were also considered incredibly small when the league was making a trend towards big athletic freaks at the WR position. But fighting the white receiver stigma also didnt help... before Welker its hard to think of a decent small white quick twitch receiver outside of Tim Dwight back in the late 90's. After watching Welker at TT for 3 years while in college its almost criminal he wasnt drafted... dude single handedly won half of Tech's games his final year and set multiple NCAA records for all purpose yards, return TD's along the way.
Love Akpla, great thread. I know he wasn't even the best pro prospect WR on his team but what do you think of Danny Coale? Kid made plays all year, seems to be a very reliable target and he will be UDFA. I know he doesn't fit the upside of the prospects you posted and he won't be Cruz, just wanted some info on his strengths and weaknesses.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Love Akpla, great thread. I know he wasn't even the best pro prospect WR on his team but what do you think of Danny Coale? Kid made plays all year, seems to be a very reliable target and he will be UDFA. I know he doesn't fit the upside of the prospects you posted and he won't be Cruz, just wanted some info on his strengths and weaknesses.
He was straight up ROBBED of a TD in that Sugar Bowl game vs. Michigan. He made a sick grab. And it should have been his 9th catch of the game.

• sfout
  • Veteran
He was straight up ROBBED of a TD in that Sugar Bowl game vs. Michigan. He made a sick grab. And it should have been his 9th catch of the game.

agreed. I was yelling at the tv when they ruled that incomplete. Coale is such a great player I would love to have him on the 9ers.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
How in the world did the Giants get a guy that good undrafted....

quite simple actually, giants play in east rutherford nj and cruz is from patterson nj. cruz picked a team that plays close to home, if cruz was near sf im sure we couldve ended up with him.

Son of Washington Redskin's Hall of Fame CB, Darrell Green. Has good speed. His draft report:
Green is a "plus" vertical threat. He consistently is able to get behind defenders, run away from man coverage and track the football vertically. He has a natural feel for setting up corners off the line as well, side stepping press coverage and accelerating into his route. He showcases good balance and quickness as a route runner and despite at times getting a bit choppy with his footwork on sharply breaking routes; he generates good first step quickness, routinely separating and run away from defenders.
Honestly, the only major concern I have about the guy is his overall ability to catch the football. He looks natural adjusting to throws and his body control is good when looking to pluck off his frame. However, too often he simply puts the ball on the ground.
Impression: He's got good size, he can run/separate and has good pedigree, which could end up getting him a look late as a draftbale receiver prospect.

Yeah I love Michigan football but I catch a lot of ACC games and Coale impressed me for much of the season. He has good hands, fairly good routes and YAC and could be an option in the slot perhaps. Everywhere I've checked has him pretty much UDFA which is why I wanted more info from the resident draft experts like OTC.

I really think Coale could be your next overlooked WR fighting the "white receiver stigma" that at least somewhat affected Amendola and Welker. Coale made a lot of big plays at VT but on film, I think the coaches and scouts will see a guy who doesn't have that "quick-twitch" athleticism you're looking for, and think Coale is a guy who is neither fast nor shifty, although a gritty player sure, and label him as a STs role player. I think he times faster than he plays, but that's just my opinion.

Good hands, good character, smart player, but some questions like the ones listed above.
Bump. Pro Day dates for them:

Cooper - 3/9/12
Saffold - 3/16/12
Akpla - 3/19/12

Will re-bump thread when these days arrive.
Share 49ersWebzone